Hybrid vehicles question

(may require geek responses)

I'm not that up on Hybrids, but obviously got the general idea. I've seen what Toyota's are like and other [non-hybrid] cars that cut the engine at stop.

however, I was down in London last week and noticed that all the new london hybrid buses tend to have the engine running a lot, however they don't rev when accelerating, so I assume the engine must be powering the electric motors.

Would this not be a better idea than the current options for vehicles?

-

My question, if an idling engine can pull a bus using motors, surely an idling engine of comparative size can pull a car using motors / then cut out when stopped or slow moving and use remaining power (if any).

Edited by *_ash_*

(may require geek responses)

I'm not that up on Hybrids, but obviously got the general idea. I've seen what Toyota's are like and other [non-hybrid] cars that cut the engine at stop.

however, I was down in London last week and noticed that all the new london hybrid buses tend to have the engine running a lot, however they don't rev when accelerating, so I assume the engine must be powering the electric motors.

Would this not be a better idea than the current options for vehicles?

-

My question, if an idling engine can pull a bus using motors, surely an idling engine of comparative size can pull a car using motors / then cut out when stopped or slow moving and use remaining power (if any).

Some hybrids (the Vauxhall version I think) has a combustion engine that just charges a battery, doesn't power the wheels.

Some hybrids (the Vauxhall version I think) has a combustion engine that just charges a battery, doesn't power the wheels.

So the engine can idle whilst it's accelerating?

An idleing engine wouldn't produce enough electric to charge a hybrid battery for all types of driving use, and never will be able too, no matter how much batteries improve. If it did do you not think anybody would have utilised that by now? Hybrid vehicles will operate in many states, ie if the battery is in a high state of charge, the electric motor will be used more than the combustion engine, and vice versa if the battery charge is low.

Also the engine may be running in an idle state to power the onboard electrics ie lighting etc so as not to drain the hybrid battery.

Modern buses are also very quiet compared to the good old mainline Dennis Dominators. :hihi:

Save the planet don't buy one

Not going to. I was just interested in the Maths. Would it be more efficient to have an engine idling powering motors, with the current dual set up.

The petrol engine remains on in hybrids, even when stationary, if the battery of the electric motor needs charging. This may occur if there are a lot of other things drawing energy, such as lights, wipers, aircon, etc.

The petrol/electric hybrids I know of do pull off from stationary using a combination of both power sources, or just electric, depending on the speed demands. They always start up in pure electric mode so there's no noise as you turn the key, but the petrol engine will then kick in if you want it to go above a certain speed or are using lots of kit, as I said above. They adjust what power source is used all the time and it may be possible for acceleration without revving or use of the petrol engine, depending on gradient and momentum, etc.

An idleing engine wouldn't produce enough electric to charge a hybrid battery for all types of driving use, and never will be able too, no matter how much batteries improve. If it did do you not think anybody would have utilised that by now? Hybrid vehicles will operate in many states, ie if the battery is in a high state of charge, the electric motor will be used more than the combustion engine, and vice versa if the battery charge is low.

Also the engine may be running in an idle state to power the onboard electrics ie lighting etc so as not to drain the hybrid battery.

Modern buses are also very quiet compared to the good old mainline Dennis Dominators. :hihi:

Ah ha, now we're talking.

This bold probably answers my question. I just wondered after seeing buses go past every 10 seconds why they were all hybrids, but none were quiet (i.e. engine was on), but, none were revving. I think this is the answer.

Thanks Dard.

Rolls Royce Eagle engine??

The petrol engine remains on in hybrids, even when stationary, if the battery of the electric motor needs charging. This may occur if there are a lot of other things drawing energy, such as lights, wipers, aircon, etc.

The petrol/electric hybrids I know of do pull off from stationary using a combination of both power sources, or just electric, depending on the speed demands. They always start up in pure electric mode so there's no noise as you turn the key, but the petrol engine will then kick in if you want it to go above a certain speed or are using lots of kit, as I said above. They adjust what power source is used all the time and it may be possible for acceleration without revving or use of the petrol engine, depending on gradient and momentum, etc.

Thanks kckc, yes one thing I had observed is that buses in London mostly are on pretty flat gradient. Judging by how loud the buses go past my house (steep gradient), we're a long way off an electric motor completing that task!

Thanks Dard.

You're welcome.

Plug in hybrids, that is a slightly different ball game, so yes we may be on to something.

Rolls Royce Eagle engine??

I was thinking perkins? I dont know, you got me there. ;)