Black poppies not me

Yes, why do you ask?

I find it hard to believe that your school only told about the white soldiers that died.

The teaching of social, political and economic history covering the period to 1951 was devoid of any reference to black or Asian servicemen during WWI & WWII.

Children are inspired by role models and if they look like them it makes the contributions of those role models all the more inspiring. My stance isn't a militant one, I always buy a poppy, had never heard of the black one before coming across this thread.

The red poppy is still freely available, the black one I've never seen, nobody's forcing anyone to buy it, this thread is rapidly descending into an example of 'political correctness gone mad' as it appears unseemly to challenge convention or even have a rational discussion about it.

Edited by boyfriday

If people are to be made more aware of coloured soldiers contribution do so but in an appropriate way.

erm they have done LOL

a black poppy

When I was learning about the wars at school no colour was mentioned.

on a side note, one thing ive noticed about poppy day is the vitriol a person might get if they DONT wear a poppy.

Personally i dont wear a poppy at all, thats my choice, but some people seem to think youre obscene / a scumbag if you dont Oo

to me that goes against EVERYTHING these soldiers died for, our freedom....even to NOT wear a poppy if we dont want.

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 19:02 ----------

When I was learning about the wars at school no colour was mentioned.

but EVERY soldier pictured in a book would look "white"

The teaching of social, political and economic history covering the period to 1951 was devoid of any reference to black or Asian servicemen during WWI & WWII.

Children are inspired by role models and if they look like them it makes the contributions of those role models all the more inspiring. My stance isn't s militant one, I always buy a poppy, had never heard of the black one before coming across this thread.

The red poppy is still freely available, the black one I've never seen, nobody's forcing anyone to buy it, this thread is rapidly descending into an example not 'political correctness gone mad' as it appears unseemly to challenge convention or even have a rational discussion about it.

Was there a reference to white service personnel dying during WWI & WWII, if so I don't remember, my recollection from my history lessons was that service personnel from all over the commonwealth lost their lives during the two wars.

Children are inspired by role models and if they look like them it makes the contributions of those role models all the more inspiring. My stance isn't s militant one, I always buy a poppy, had never heard of the black one before coming across this thread.

The red poppy is still freely available, the black one I've never seen, nobody's forcing anyone to buy it, this thread is rapidly descending into an example not 'political correctness gone mad' as it appears unseemly to challenge convention or even have a rational discussion about it.

I can remember knowing about the Gurkha soldiers from an early age.

I am aware of the contribution made by soldiers from foreign countries regardless of colour.

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 19:11 ----------

on a side note, one thing ive noticed about poppy day is the vitriol a person might get if they DONT wear a poppy.

Personally i dont wear a poppy at all, thats my choice, but some people seem to think youre obscene / a scumbag if you dont Oo

to me that goes against EVERYTHING these soldiers died for, our freedom....even to NOT wear a poppy if we dont want.

it is a personal decision if a person wants to display a symbol of remembrance and respect for fallen soldiers.

Did you read the piece you responded to?

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 08:44 ----------

...and others are perfectly entitled to demonstrate their act of remberance in any way they see fit, I choose to wear a red poppy which I stated in a previous post, and youre entitled to do the same not lecture people on how they choose to remember the fallen dead, a significant number of whom had been airbrushed from history.

See post 28.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 19:18 ----------

Colour should never get mentioned they were all soldiers who fought for our freedom.

If only, some on here will disagree vehemently with your post, even though it's very true.

Angel1.

-------------

Hi Froger, I too will be wearing my red poppy, can i ask you a question -

on the poppies is a little green leaf, every time i see people wearing

theirs the green leaf is at all angel. Can you or anyone tell me where

it should be placed, i have mine at 12 o'clock. :confused:

Poppy wearing etiquette. A lot of people get very anal about how a poppy should be worn, men on the left and women on the right with the leaf at 11 O'clock position. There is only one correct way according to the Royal British Legion and that's to wear it with pride.

I am aware of the contribution made by soldiers from foreign countries regardless of colour

That's absolutely fine harvey19, I don't doubt it, however your personal experiences aren't indicative of everyone else's.

As far as I'm concerned the act of remberance is a personal one, most choose to wear a red one, some a white, some none at all (I know of ex servicemen who choose not to) and a tiny minority a black one, there is no right or wrong.

That's absolutely fine harvey19, I don't doubt it, however your personal experiences aren't indicative of everyone else's.

As far as I'm concerned the act of remberance is a personal one, most choose to wear a red one, some a white, some none at all (I know of ex servicemen who choose not to) and a tiny minority a black one, there is no right or wrong.

I don't wish to sound pedantic but I think we should remember all soldiers by the red poppy and not exclude or only include some regardless of colour or country of origin by inventing different coloured ones.

I firmly believe that a red poppy with an appropriate insert is the way to highlight a particular group.

when i was young many moons ago i just thought of a soldier as a soldier, never thought of colour.

I am aware of the contribution made by soldiers from foreign countries regardless of colour.

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 19:11 ----------

it is a personal decision if a person wants to display a symbol of remembrance and respect for fallen soldiers.

True.

I have a poppy on my coat and uniform, however I was out walking my dogs in Greaves Park today in a different coat with no poppy.

It didn't stop me having a minute in reflection.