Black poppies not me

indeed they do, john snow the c4 newscaster used to wear on.

when he started it caused quite a kerfuffle amongst the shouty types

As does Jeremy Corbyn is memory serves. Didn't he wear one with a red poppy to the Cenotaph? When he was also ridiculed for not being dressed smartly enough or something daft? Even though he stayed behind longer than the other politicians talking to ex-servicemen.

A black poppy reduces the subject to one that is purely about colour. I thought we as a society were trying to move away from such things.

As a society I believe we were moving towards inclusiveness, non white soldiers died in WWI & WWII, as a child educated in British schools during the 60s & 70s I was only aware of that due to my own grandfather serving in WWII.

Black poppies are unlikely to have any fund raising traction, unlike the red one, however if they create a discussion about the contributions of black & Asian serviceman alongside their white comrades which few know about that can only be a good thing wouldn't you agree?

As a society I believe we were moving towards inclusiveness, non white soldiers died in WWI & WWII, as a child educated in British schools during the 60s & 70s I was only aware of that due to my own grandfather serving in WWII.

Black poppies are unlikely to have any fund raising traction, unlike the red one, however if they create a discussion about the contributions of black & Asian serviceman alongside their white comrades which few know about that can only be a good thing wouldn't you agree?

People died. Stop reducing it to a colour.

What will be next? Green poppies to remember all the grass that died on the Somme?

They are for round raising. But the money will only be going to black former soldiers. Can't remember if it was on look north or the one show.

What will be next? Green poppies to remember all the grass that died on the Somme?

I'm not reducing it to 'colour', it appears only you and a few others on this thread are getting their knickers in a twist over the colour of a piece of paper.

I'm not reducing it to 'colour', it appears only you and a few others on this thread are getting their knickers in a twist over the colour of a piece of paper.

You not a fan of the green poppy idea then I take it?

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 20:32 ----------

They are for round raising. But the money will only be going to black former soldiers. Can't remember if it was on look north or the one show.

Thats very 'inclusive' of them now isnt it.

Im pretty sure the money raised from red poppy sales is given out regardless of the colour of the recipient so the black poppy idea is a racist one.

you just dont want to talk about the issue of black and asian, and may i say muslims, hindus and sikhs that died for us do you? instead hide it under a blanket of "inclusivity" it happened get over it.

by the way you dont sound very happy either

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 20:48 ----------

You not a fan of the green poppy idea then I take it?

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 20:32 ----------

Thats very 'inclusive' of them now isnt it.

Im pretty sure the money raised from red poppy sales is given out regardless of the colour of the recipient so the black poppy idea is a racist one.

how can it be racist when they dont have an issue with red poppies? seems to be the only racist is the one that cannot stand the idea of a black poppy to remember those black folks that gave up their lives, and in a lot of cases, hidden

You not a fan of the green poppy idea then I take it?.

Well I'm no more likely to buy a green poppy than a black poppy as the red ones are still widely available, so I won't be losing any sleep because someone's selling black poppies which I'm not forced to buy.

you just dont want to talk about the issue of black and asian, and may i say muslims, hindus and sikhs that died for us do you? instead hide it under a blanket of "inclusivity" it happened get over it.

by the way you dont sound very happy either

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 20:48 ----------

how can it be racist when they dont have an issue with red poppies? seems to be the only racist is the one that cannot stand the idea of a black poppy to remember those black folks that gave up their lives, and in a lot of cases, hidden

Revenue from red poppies goes to all ex soldiers no matter their colour,

Revenue from the sale of black poppies is apparently only for non white ex soldiers. Make all the snide comments you want, thats the facts of the case. If true then it is very racist indeed.

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 20:53 ----------

Well I'm no more likely to buy a green poppy than a black poppy as the red ones are still widely available, so I won't be losing any sleep because someone's selling black poppies which I'm not forced to buy.

You wont be buying black ones? Why, dont you feel non whites made a worthy contribution or do you feel that black ones will just be divisive and set people apart?

While it may be a "piece of paper" to yourself, to others it means a great deal.

The "POPPY" is RED, not black, not white, not green, not multicoloured, but RED as a symbol of rememberance to ALL who gave their lives for us.

Angel1.

While it may be a "piece of paper" to yourself, to others it means a great deal.

The "POPPY" is RED, not black, not white, not green, not multicoloured, but RED as a symbol of rememberance to ALL who gave their lives for us.

Angel1.

to YOU, white poppies are also symbols to "some" including funnily enough some ex servicemen that fought in wars, and want to help show there should be an end to war.

And obviously if it takes off, it might not, black poppies will be a symbol to "some" who want to show the contribution "some" black people had during conflict.

ALL the poppies are symbols, ALL poppies mean something to somebody, as a symbol. and none should be taken as an insult to the other. they are all symbols about the same thing, just in slightly different ways

Back in the days when I could wear a poppy in a pin without endangering my health (last year a tiny pin prick cut landed me in hospital for 3 days) I used to wear a red poppy with a white poppy alongside it. It's perfectly possible to respect those who have given their lives defending our country at the same time as being a pacifist and hoping that such deaths and war are not necessary in the future.

These days I just log in to the Royal British Legion site, give them a tenner for each of us and then wear my poppy bangle instead.

I wouldn't buy a black poppy simply because I am aware of how many hundreds of thousands of people with brown skin who gave their lives to defend our country, just like thousands of people came from all over the world to help our industry re-establish itself after WWII. I'm not sure that I need any further education about that, but I respect every person, no matter the colour of their skin, language spoken, gender or creed, who has given their lives for something bigger than themselves.