Faulty goods who's responsible the seller or manufacturer or ??r

@apelike, yep you are correct with that as the CRA replaced SOGA and any reseller breaching this needs to be reported

nope, some items it's the responsibility of the manufacturer... lots of Laptops from Currys, PC World, John Lewis, and others are like that, as well as TV's....

some phones, and some tablets... (like if you get an iPhone from Carphone Warehouse, it's the Apple store you need to take it to if it's faulty... same as Samsung phones, outside the first 3 months (I think) it's Samsung you need to send back to...)

They might try to tell you this is the case, but it isn't.

And just off this, I questioned both EE and Google about the Pixel XL and warranty, etc as EE were stating it was down to Google and nothing to do with them and Google confirmed that it is with EE for the first 12 months, they weren't too sure about months 13-24 though but based on the CRA I would say EE are responsible for the full 24 months

It's only legally within the first 6 months... after that they can send you to the manufacturer for warranty repairs - some shops can LEGALLY say within the first 3 months, or first 14 days (as long as its clear in their terms, and they make it known on purchase)

from a consumer guideline website...

The retailer’s obligations

If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse, your first port of call must be the shop you bought it from.

I looked into all this previously, as I thought it was down to the retailer (faulty at 10 months) but it wasn't, I did so much research, and even talked to a lawyer...

Look at this site also... (Laptop example)

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-laptop-is-broken-can-i-get-it-repaired-or-replaced

You have the right to reject your item and get a refund within 30 days of purchase under the Consumer Rights Act

You could also ask the retailer to repair or replace your item within six months of purchase

You can also use your guarantee or warranty if your product develops a fault

It's only legally within the first 6 months... after that they can send you to the manufacturer for warranty repairs - some shops can LEGALLY say within the first 3 months, or first 14 days (as long as its clear in their terms, and they make it known on purchase)

from a consumer guideline website...

I looked into all this previously, as I thought it was down to the retailer (faulty at 10 months) but it wasn't, I did so much research, and even talked to a lawyer...

Look at this site also... (Laptop example)

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-laptop-is-broken-can-i-get-it-repaired-or-replaced

Sorry but you are incorrect. The burden of proof is on rhe purchaser after the first 6 months but if the purchaser can prove an inherent fault they can still make a claim from the retailer. Of course if the product has a manufacturers warranty then a purchaser can seek a remedy under the warranty. But any warranty provided is in addition to the Consumer Rights Act and does not overide any rights within it. Also you can make a claim up to 6 years after purchase in England under the Consumer Rights Act.

---------- Post added 20-11-2016 at 09:37 ----------

just to add from the link you provided Ghozer

"Faults after six months

If you purchased your laptop more than six months ago, but are still within your warranty period you could consider claiming for a repair from the manufacturer.

However, you're also entitled to claim from the retailer directly, providing you can prove that the goods were not of a satisfactory quality or fit for purpose at the point of sale."

Edited by Love2print

The retailer may well choose to then ship the item to the manufacturer, but that's not your concern.

The retailer may well choose to then ship the item to the manufacturer, but that's not your concern.

Then DSG train their staff with incorrect information, as-well as John Lewis, and others.... as it is what I was told in training, and what I friends were also told when working at such places...

and if that's the case, something needs to be done about it....

But I know some manufacturers do specifically request that they deal with ALL issues (such as Apple, as I said above)

Guest sibon
nope, some items it's the responsibility of the manufacturer... lots of Laptops from Currys, PC World, John Lewis, and others are like that, as well as TV's....

some phones, and some tablets... (like if you get an iPhone from Carphone Warehouse, it's the Apple store you need to take it to if it's faulty... same as Samsung phones, outside the first 3 months (I think) it's Samsung you need to send back to...)

Your contract is with the seller. They often try to pass you back to the manufacturer, but they shouldn't.

I had just such an issue a few years ago with a camera bought from Currys. They asked me to deal direct with the manufacturer. I refused. It took a bit of standing my ground with a manager, but in the end they sorted it out for me.

Then DSG train their staff with incorrect information, as-well as John Lewis, and others.... as it is what I was told in training, and what I friends were also told when working at such places...

and if that's the case, something needs to be done about it....

But I know some manufacturers do specifically request that they deal with ALL issues (such as Apple, as I said above)

I used to work for the Dixons call centre and they did (might still do) train staff to say it was the manufacturers problem and not Dixon's itself. But I read up on the SOGA and Distance Selling Regs whilst working there so I realised what we were saying to customers was balls.

I used to work for the Dixons call centre and they did (might still do) train staff to say it was the manufacturers problem and not Dixon's itself. But I read up on the SOGA and Distance Selling Regs whilst working there so I realised what we were saying to customers was balls.

And they still try to dismiss it when customers try advising them of their rights as a consumer. Some will only do something if you threaten them with Trading Standards.

And they still try to dismiss it when customers try advising them of their rights as a consumer. Some will only do something if you threaten them with Trading Standards.

In their defence they are not trained in consumer rights or should I say they are but Dixons version. How do they know your right and their employer is wrong? Call centres are very busy places and they don't have time to read about the law. Some managers would also tell staff to say they were not there to talk about the law just to provide customer service and if a customer wanted to go down the SOGA route they would need to issue court proceedings. If they had been caught on a call discussing consumer rights they may well have got into trouble.