Cheap and decent places to live in and near Sheffield

Hi guys, I've done a search but can't really find a topic similar to mine.

I wonder if people could recommend places and areas to live in and around Sheffield.

We are looking for somewhere for me, my partner, our 6 month old son and our 2 dogs, we aren't too flush with money but want to bring kids and dogs up in a nice area. We were wanting our budget at 120k and under. We have grown up in Norton Lee's and Woodseats and have lived in Meersbrook renting but feel we won't get much for our money in those areas. Wanting a 2/3 bed house, ideally a semi detached with a decent sized garden for the dogs. We were looking at Eckington and Chesterfield but have no idea which bits are rough and if there's anywhere else nice.

Thanks guys

Xxxxx

Might have got this wrong, but some of ours friends moved to Worksop (Gateford) as they said they got more for the same money than around Mosborough. Have you considered that area?

Might have got this wrong, but some of ours friends moved to Worksop (Gateford) as they said they got more for the same money than around Mosborough. Have you considered that area?

Hi there, thank you for the reply! We haven't actually thought about looking there, my best friend grew up there and says it's quite a rough area, she comes from a past of drug and alcohol abuse from a young age and moved to Sheffield with her family after one of her best friends were stabbed and died in her arms on their estate whilst at a party. Due to drugs I think. So that always sort of put me off that area completely lol. But that is the only opinion I've had about worksop, I imagine there must be nice areas in there as well, like anywhere really, I just have no idea where lol. I'll have a nosey at Gateford and see what houses are on offer, thanks! Xxxxxx

Littledale Estate off Prince of wales Road Darnall. It's a decent and affordable place to live. I have a 3 bedroom semi detached house with a masssive garden for sale. You can contact me if interested and I will be happy to show the property.

Littledale Estate off Prince of wales Road Darnall. It's a decent and affordable place to live. I have a 3 bedroom semi detached house with a masssive garden for sale. You can contact me if interested and I will be happy to show the property.

Thank you for the reply! I've never thought about Darnall as the reputation is quite rough from what I've heard but I'm open to look anywhere, that would have been fantastic and thank you for the offer but unfortunately we are still paying off debts at the moment so won't be in a position to move for about a year I'd imagine after saving for a deposit etc. Your house does sound fantastic and just what we would be looking for though! House buying is so expensive lol xxxxx

---------- Post added 08-11-2016 at 14:31 ----------

Is your house on Rightmove? So I can have a little peek at it and dream! Xxxxx

What about south east Sheffield/Rotherham area? Swallownest, Aston and so on. Fairly cheap to live but nice enough areas close to Rother Valley if that's your thing. Good mix of standard terraces, high end new builds and all in between. Schools are rated very highly too. I live there are would happily recommend it. About a 20 commute to city centre outside of rush hour and about 35 mins during.

What about south east Sheffield/Rotherham area? Swallownest, Aston and so on. Fairly cheap to live but nice enough areas close to Rother Valley if that's your thing. Good mix of standard terraces, high end new builds and all in between. Schools are rated very highly too. I live there are would happily recommend it. About a 20 commute to city centre outside of rush hour and about 35 mins during.

The other half keeps saying he doesn't like the thought of Rotherham however I don't have a problem with it! I haven't actually checked out Aston or Swallownest as they sounded rather out of our budget but I'll have a look, this is our kind of area I think, close to places like rother valley. I've never heard bad of those places. I wouldn't mind a terraced but the only trouble is size of gardens and the fact most are open or neighbours have access, we have a small yappy dog and a dog the size of a horse so would need a big garden for them and no 'intruders' haha. I'll have a nosey at those places now, thank you!! Xxxxx

It's not *really* Rotherham as you are still the Sheffield side of the M1. That's the rule isn't it? :D

It's not *really* Rotherham as you are still the Sheffield side of the M1. That's the rule isn't it? :D

Swall aughton Aston aren't Rotherham really as stated !

I live at the Handsworth Grange side of Handsworth and it is a lovely quiet area. Been here 9 months now and I love it. I was from near Crystal Peaks but I couldn't find anything in my price range that was big enough for us.

I did see a lot of houses round the Kiveton area. I don't think it seems like a bad place but seemed a little out of the way to get to town although there are two train stations and the trains run every half hour during the day to Sheffield.

Chapeltown is ok and you'll get a 2 or 3 bed place for c.120k in some parts.

Convenient for M1 and train service into Sheffield or Barnsley/Leeds. Plenty of places to walk the mutts too