Bearing noise - cam belt and water pump price??

Guest brownd95

Hi All.

So I've got a Seat Ibiza 1.4 16v Sport 57plate. 45k miles

There is a ticking rattling noise coming from around the cam belt part of the engine. It gets faster as I press the accelerator. I took it to a back street garage mechanic who charged me to do a inspection. His report said bearing on it's way out. Cam belt and water pump advised to be changed.

Quoted me around the £400 mark.

Would someone be able to shed more light on if they have experienced similar to my situation, Is the price ok?? What bearing would he be talking about?? How long have I got before engine failure??

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi All.

So I've got a Seat Ibiza 1.4 16v Sport 57plate. 45k miles

There is a ticking rattling noise coming from around the cam belt part of the engine. It gets faster as I press the accelerator. I took it to a back street garage mechanic who charged me to do a inspection. His report said bearing on it's way out. Cam belt and water pump advised to be changed.

Quoted me around the £400 mark.

Would someone be able to shed more light on if they have experienced similar to my situation, Is the price ok?? What bearing would he be talking about?? How long have I got before engine failure??

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

If the cam belt goes you will be looking at sight more than £400.

The bearings in there are the water pump, idler pulley/s and tentioner

Ten years is around the going rate for an average belt life. £400 seems a lot though. Could be that they don't really want the job.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a Gates pump and cambelt kit.

45k doesn't seem like a very good life for a water pump tbh.

Are they sure it's not a lifter or something rattling around?

I thought it was "good practice" to replace the Water Pump while the timing Belt and ancillaries were being replaced.

I thought it was "good practice" to replace the Water Pump while the timing Belt and ancillaries were being replaced.

Yes in geeneral it is.

Although personally I wouldn't bother if the car was under 100k/10 years old.

Totally depends on if the OP is planning on keeping the car though, obviously if you want to run it for the next few years then do the pump as a precaution.

Ok. 10 years old next year, so i'd do it for Peace of mind.

Guest brownd95

the cam belt, water pump and tensioner pulley things were replaced by a big garage company in 2014 at 30k miles. 15k miles later and ive been told it all needs doing. something doesnt seem right.... I thought it only needs doing every 60k miles.... can a bearing fail after 15k miles??

Cheers.

Does seem low mileage for it to need doing again but it could happen.

can a bearing fail after 15k miles??

A bearing can fail at anytime.

Edited by Dardandec

the cam belt, water pump and tensioner pulley things were replaced by a big garage company in 2014 at 30k miles. 15k miles later and ive been told it all needs doing. something doesnt seem right.... I thought it only needs doing every 60k miles.... can a bearing fail after 15k miles??

Cheers.

There's always a chance that they might have over tensioned it at the time (if it isn't an automatic tensioner pulley).