Lower benefits cap

Upswing I in wages is not needed,benefit cuts are,when you hear what people get its wonder why some don't want to work.

That's a race to the bottom. A more flexible benefits system is what's needed.

I'm not against the cap but I am against the implementation in its current form. I think children up to the age of 16 should be separated from this. It isn't their fault they live in a household on benefits.

The problem there though is that people in the past got more children just to get more benefits, so there should be a limit to the amount of children you can claim on (which exists if I am not mistaken).

The one thing I would really like to see implemented is more flexible working hours. I'd like to see embedded in law that if you are a parent and your contract is below 20h/w you have a right to flexible working hours including weekends if appropriate.

I agree in principle. But we cannot reasonably seize these children nor can we support them by giving their parents money because we have no way of ensuring that it is the children which benefit from it.

That's a race to the bottom. A more flexible benefits system is what's needed.

well some people seem to want a country where people live in Chinese style communal housing with suicide nets and get barely any wage.

I dont get how a single (non-disabled) person can claim anywhere near "£257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) for single people"

I think the figures include housing benefit and C/tax benefit.

well some people seem to want a country where people live in Chinese style communal housing with suicide nets and get barely any wage.

perhaps we now need that type of system to make the lazy scroungers get off their fat backsides?? the feckless will do nothing to help themselves while ever there is a big juicy safety net.

You have to laugh at some of the examples given by the beeb though

A single mother called Emma, who cares for four children, including a baby, told BBC Breakfast she was surprised the state would no longer clean up after her.

Emma, said she would "quite happily work", but the childcare costs and the job of looking after her four children made it much harder to do.

You have to laugh at some of the examples given by the beeb though

Then why have 4 children,if she or even more the dad can't support them they shouldn't have them.

Then why have 4 children,if she or even more the dad can't support them they shouldn't have them.

That's all very well but the problem arises that if we as a society don't support her now that those children exist we condemn innocent children to unacceptable poverty. Okay so it's ultimately her fault, but I'd still feel guilty about it. Wouldn't you?

well the dad could be dead.

Not really.

I wouldn't bring (another) child into the world without being clear in my mind I can provide for them.

Clearly she had three and was under the previous benefits cap, but then went and had number 4 anyway (it's a baby).

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 11:26 ----------

well the dad could be dead.

Then she should have a comfortable life insurance payment to rely on.

because if you have 4 kids to provide for you damn sure better have insurance to cover your family should the worst happen.

Not really.

I wouldn't bring (another) child into the world without being clear in my mind I can provide for them.

Clearly she had three and was under the previous benefits cap, but then went and had number 4 anyway (it's a baby).

Nor would most people. And such behaviour should be deterred. But we're interested in adults suffering for the consequences of their actions, not children suffering for the consequences of their irresponsible parents. Surely?!?

I dont get how a single (non-disabled) person can claim anywhere near "£257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) for single people"

I was wrong earlier.

Benefits which are included in the cap

The cap will apply to your combined income from:

Bereavement Allowance

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Employment and Support Allowance - except where it's paid with the support component

Housing Benefit - although there are some exceptions

Incapacity Benefit

Income support

Jobseeker's Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

Widowed Parent's Allowance

Widowed Mother's Allowance

Widow's Pension.

Which benefits aren't included in the cap?

The following benefits aren't included when working out whether your total benefit income is more than the cap:

Council Tax Reduction

Pension Credit

State Retirement Pension

one off payments made by your local authority to help you out in a crisis

Winter Fuel and Cold Weather Payments

a short term benefit advance from the DWP to help you out over a crisis until your first benefit payment

non-cash benefits, for example, free school meals

Statutory Sick Pay

Statutory Maternity Pay, Paternity Pay, Adoption Pay, Statutory Shared Parental Pay.

Some benefits are not included in either of the above lists because they exempt you from the Benefit Cap altogether.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/the-benefit-cap/the-benefit-cap-and-housing-benefit/the-benefit-cap-and-housing-benefit-which-benefits-are-included/

Edited by 999tigger