The ruination of Sheffield - St Vincents

Yet another piece of Sheffield history has been swallowed up by the university.

I am under the impression that Sheffield will soon just consist of buildings owned by the university.

The once great city of Sheffield will soon have no historical buildings left. The latest in a long line of casualties is St Vincents catholic church on Solly Street.

In recent years the church has been allowed to get run down and fall in to a state of disrepair. Sheffield city council and the catholic diocese should have pooled resources and renovated this poor old building. The grounds have been used for years as car parking {for a fee} where did all the money go ??

How many more people share my opinion of the loss of our old Sheffield buildings. Do the council get paid well to pass all these plans for the university.

Perhaps someone can give me a good reason for tearing down beautiful old buildings to put up some of the modern monstrosities that Sheffield has acquired in the name of progress.

I am under the impression that Sheffield will soon just consist of buildings owned by the university.

The once great city of Sheffield will soon have no historical buildings left. The latest in a long line of casualties is St Vincents catholic church on Solly Street.

In recent years the church has been allowed to get run down and fall in to a state of disrepair. Sheffield city council and the catholic diocese should have pooled resources and renovated this poor old building. The grounds have been used for years as car parking {for a fee} where did all the money go ??

How many more people share my opinion of the loss of our old Sheffield buildings. Do the council get paid well to pass all these plans for the university.

Perhaps someone can give me a good reason for tearing down beautiful old buildings to put up some of the modern monstrosities that Sheffield has acquired in the name of progress.

...........maybe the Catholic Church is losing it's grip on people and Tony Blairs mantra of education for all is taking over!

Personally I wouldn't be happy for my council tax to be used to 'prop up' a church, especially a catholic one

.....tearing down beautiful old buildings.....

The link Douglas J provides suggests a conversion rather than a tearing down. Can someone confirm whether it's a conversion or demolition.

A few years ago SCC and the diocese looked at doing exactly what you want them to do. If I remember right it was the diocese who got cold feet and backed out.

I dont know what the exact figure is that the students bring to sheffields economy but i am guessing it is quite a lot.I know a lot of people who have got very wealthy out of students and i rely on the work that they provide as well to the building trade.I would prefer it if Sheffield could have something else to offer for work in Sheffield but i think that could be someway off.I hate seeing historic buildings being ripped down and i hope the church will stay ,at least in appearance.I do not know if the council get paid by the university but i would guess what the university wants,it gets,they cannot afford to say know to them.

Reading the plans on the link provided it would suggest that the church is to be renovated on the outside. Unfortunately it would appear that a lot of the internal features will be destroyed and lost forever. The church itself will be dwarfed by these new structures. Instead of standing proud in it's own grounds.

As for using your council tax to ' prop up ' a church... a catholic church ???

I am unsure where you are coming from with that comment

Edited by boozy.bird

Reading the plans on the link provided it would suggest that the church is to be renovated on the outside. Unfortunately it would appear that a lot of the internal features will be destroyed and lost forever. The church itself will be dwarfed by these new structures. Instead of standing proud in it's own grounds.

As for using your council tax to bail out a church... a catholic church ???

I hope the surrounding structures they put up will not be out of context with the church.

I do understand the need for accommodation for students given the fact Sheffield has two large universities but given the amount that's already built or been planned surly by now theirs more than enough to go round?

Im all for reusing old buildings for new uses as long it is done right.This church needs to be saved I agree on that but I think it would be better used as an community space.

Sheffield has many fine derelict buildings that could be reused for new uses than instead of this building mania?

As for using your council tax to ' prop up ' a church... a catholic church ???

St George's Church has been rather tastefully adapted into a lecture theatre by the University. You can have a wander around it here.

I hope the surrounding structures they put up will not be out of context with the church.

Not a good track record there. Here's the aforementioned church in the context of the truly hideous, Carbuncle Award nominated Diamond.

Edited by Guest