British Gymnast Banned For "Mocking" Religion

Similar claims could be made for country music awards, folk music awards, classical music awards, heavy metal music awards, etc.
No they couldn't. I'm not against having different awards for different musical genres, you seem to be deliberately misunderstanding me.

Are you arguing that there should globally be only one music award that covers all genres?
Nope, just that defining musical genre's by race is stupid, incorrect, and racist.

I have personal experience of this, I grew up obsessed with the blues, and am a fairly accomplished guitarist, yet nonsense like this discouraged me and made me feel as if it somehow wasn't 'my' music and I wasn't really supposed to play it.

You could argue that all awards are completely unnecessary.
And you'd be arguing something completely different.

I'm not some right wing guy who's against any form of positive discrimination, far from it. My point is that its completely unnecessary here, black people are incredibly successful musically and aren't being whitewashed out of history in the field of music or anything. It only serves to be divisive.

So my points are

1. unnecessary

2. racist

3. wrong (blues, actual rnb and rock and roll, modern rnb, rap, none of those developed in a vacuum and to say they are entirely of 'black origin' is to write lots of people out of history)

It's so stupid, they give awards to people who play nice piano ballads, and awards to people who make atonal repetetive rap music, and it's apparently the same genre at the same awards show because it's all defined by race and not by actual music.

Edited by flamingjimmy

No they couldn't. I'm not against having different awards for different musical genres, you seem to be deliberately misunderstanding me.

Nope, just that defining musical genre's by race is stupid, incorrect, and racist.

I have personal experience of this, I grew up obsessed with the blues, and am a fairly accomplished guitarist, yet nonsense like this discouraged me and made me feel as if it somehow wasn't 'my' music and I wasn't really supposed to play it.

And you'd be arguing something completely different.

I'm not some right wing guy who's against any form of positive discrimination, far from it. My point is that its completely unnecessary here, black people are incredibly successful musically and aren't being whitewashed out of history in the field of music or anything. It only serves to be divisive.

So my points are

1. unnecessary

2. racist

3. wrong (blues, actual rnb and rock and roll, modern rnb, rap, none of those developed in a vacuum and to say they are entirely of 'black origin' is to write lots of people out of history)

It's so stupid, they give awards to people who play nice piano ballads, and awards to people who make atonal repetetive rap music, and it's apparently the same genre at the same awards show because it's all defined by race and not by actual music.

Genuinely one of the most bizarre posts I've read. You feel blues isn't your music and you are discouraged from playing it?

What about Clapton, SRV, Moore, Bonamassa, Mayer etc etc etc??

Olympic silver medallist Louis Smith has been banned for two months for mocking Islam.

Now , it dosnt matter what religion he mocked , the issue here is why he was banned at all. We are on a very slippery slope if people cannot mock religion . This sets a very dangerous precedent . For me , religion - ALL RELIGION should be fair game to be mocked and ridiculed, it should not be protected from ridicule .

This story is in all the papers ,so not just a Daily Mail story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3893792/Olympic-star-Louis-Smith-banned-British-Gymnastics-leaked-video-appearing-mock-Islam.html

He got sanctioned because as a member of British Gymnastics he signs up to their rules including a code of conduct on bhevabiour. He broke the rules , so he got sanctioned. The ban was a cumulative one and took into account a previous offence for which he wasnt snactioned at the time.

He is quite welcome to mock all religions, he just cnat expect to do it whilst also agreeing to abide by the rules of British gymnastics. Most professional groups and organisations have a code of conduct for their members. If you cant respect the rules, then dont join.

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 21:31 ----------

Didn't he apologise and then visit Mosques, or was that someone else? If it was him he apologised he went to visit Mosques and spoke with Muslims and said he regretted making the remarks surely that should be an end to the matter. I suppose the PC brigade have to make sure he is punished.

He broke the rules, which he agreed to abide by.

If you break rules, then saying sorry because you were caught, doesnt undo the fact the rules were broken otherwise most criminals would just say sorry they were caught etc.

Nothing to do with PC. Dont join an organisation and agree to abide by rules if you cant keep to them.

He got sanctioned because as a member of British Gymnastics he signs up to their rules including a code of conduct on bhevabiour. He broke the rules , so he got sanctioned. The ban was a cumulative one and took into account a previous offence for which he wasnt snactioned at the time.

He is quite welcome to mock all religions, he just cnat expect to do it whilst also agreeing to abide by the rules of British gymnastics. Most professional groups and organisations have a code of conduct for their members. If you cant respect the rules, then dont join.

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 21:31 ----------

He broke the rules, which he agreed to abide by.

If you break rules, then saying sorry because you were caught, doesnt undo the fact the rules were broken otherwise most criminals would just say sorry they were caught etc.

Nothing to do with PC. Dont join an organisation and agree to abide by rules if you cant keep to them.

what rule are did he break?

Olympic silver medallist Louis Smith has been banned for two months for mocking Islam.

Hiya penny, you alright flower ? :wave:

Never heard of this Louis Smith fella, but I've heard of Mo Farah. He won gold a couple of times.

I think we should take it a step further and demand that all UK athletes sign a pledge to never watch Life of Brian or Father Ted.

Don't be silly! :hihi:

British Gymnatsics code of conudct.

Contained in part 3 paragraph 8 and in particular subsections CDE and F.

https://www.british-gymnastics.org/documents/footer-menu-items/british-gymnastics/3274-standards-of-conduct-1/file

Having sex could also breach rose rules. Do you suggest he goes celibate?

I recall my devout catholic Irish in-laws loving all Dave Allen's shows and his merciless send-ups of the pope and the catholic faith ...we have come along way havn't we
. From what the talking head on tv said, Muslims don't mind other religions being mocked, it's just theirs that should never be questioned. On pain of death ...?

of course PC PC PC PC why do you think Rotherham took so long to get noticed

Because not enough people cared about protecting those vulnerable children.

Having sex could also breach rose rules. Do you suggest he goes celibate?

I read the rules and assumed they only apply whilst they are a participant.

The rules come under this title.

Part 3: Required Standards of Conduct

8. British Gymnastics expects the highest standards of conduct from Participants, who have a responsibility to ensure that their behaviour and actions meet the high standards expected of them. All Participants are required:

It looks to me like the rules apply whilst they are at an sporting event and not whilst they are out on a night out, he wasn't a participant during the time he was drinking and messing around.

I suspect that if they'd picked up a lettuce in Tesco and pretend to gnaw on it, saying "whayyyyy, look, we're vegetarians!" then he wouldn't be suspended.