Anybody On Here From Brightside Or Hinde House School

I went to Hinde House between 1977-81. Don't know any of the names mentioned - I think I must have lived in a bubble! Mind you, I grew up on Standon, not the Limpsfield/Jenkin roads area.

I went to Hinde House 76-80 and grew up on Standon Crescent.

I went to Wincobank, Concord and Hinde House-think I left 6th form in 86/7.

I knew a girl called Melanie Wigful( a few years below me) she wa smates with a girl called Michelle Mackie-i think her brother was Steve from Pulp but I may be wrong.

Hi Frank, how you doing.....

I've known you all all my life and can't remember you going to Hinde House...:huh:

I.m doing allright mate what about you?

Yeah I went to Hinde house,some happy memories, some not,

Mr Edwards being a psycho,Napier,Richardson,Doc Martin.

I was in the same year as Ian Caterer,Kevin Buzcko,Dave Smith.Gary Parker,Graham cryer.to name a few.

He sure did Paul, it was definitely Frank I hit with the stone I threw, up the side of the cemetery.

So sorry Frank it was truly an accident.

Shaun

:sad::blush::sad::blush:

HI Shaun mate long time and all that how you doing?

Remember that day well and still got the lump to prove it. As I remember it you were trying to attract my attention and you certainly managed it.

P.s my lawers will be contacting your lawers shortly.

:)

Used to be mates with-Darren Burton, Martyn Gregory , Nigel Lewis, James Bacon, Mark Mellars.

Does anyone remember Ruth Rodgers at Hinde House she left around 1982. She had 3 brothers, Terry, David and Bryn Rodgers. If so, please reply.

I went to Hinde House between 1977-81. Don't know any of the names mentioned - I think I must have lived in a bubble! Mind you, I grew up on Standon, not the Limpsfield/Jenkin roads area.

Do you remember Ruth Rodgers, she may have been in the year above??

I went to Hinde House School 89-92! I would go back tomorrow knowing what i know now ! OMG...Left school 14 years :o

Hi I lived on Limpsfield rd in the 60s and remember Terry T and the other names. I lived at number 34 I think, on the left halfway up the hill on the right. My next door neighbours were the Allens my friend Julie lived there, my best mate was Chris Parfremont in the next yard above and my other mates were pauline Guite and Steve Allen. We moved to Jenkin rd mid 60s just up from Sheppards shop opposite the main recs gates. My other mates were Brian Bradshaw,Gordon Mclean,Martin Kelk,Michael & Ian Fidler, they lived at the lodge in the rec. I went to brightside until 69 then onto hindehouse, great times. I also had a few other mates that maybe someone has seen recently, Mark Staniforth,Lee Kirby,Kevin Holmes, his dad had the papershop next to Bells chippy. And how can I forget Dave & Walter Gillot we didn't always see eye to eye but what great lads, hope someone has similar memories regards Mark Wilson

Message to Minimee cant respond not enought posts. In answer to your question I am now 48

hi anyone remember the ledgers of tyler street and the hills on jenkin rd and the ellisons lived somewhere opposite the school all went to brightside school in the fifties

Yes I lived on Limpsfield Rd, me Peter Selby was born in June 1947 at no 69. My mum Margaret Selby (now 84) nee Thornton, dad George, died 1991, I still miss the old bugger. Dad’s folks lived in the same yard, George and Ada, while mums folk lived in the yard above. I was a much-loved grandson especially by my lovely gran Thornton.

Here are some of the people that I remember.

Keith Walker, who lived on Stupton Rd, married Yvonne Hill and went to live in S/Africa. More about Yvonne in a future article about Hinde House school.

Gordon Rastrick, his mum nee Bolton, he had an adopted brother, can’t remember his name. (c.r.h.n)

Dave Handwell my best mate, lives in Bermuda, has two sons, had a bro named Stephen, his folks were called Bob & Hilda she was a Symonds.They first lived in Dearn St but moved to a new house on Stupton Rd.Living in the same yard as the Symonds were the Rudkins.Jack & his sister Mary they were friends of my mum & dads, they will be in their late eighties by now or pushing up daisies. Their mum kept chickens in the back yard.

Glyn Pashley,he had a sister but (c,r,h,n.)

Freddy Guite,he had a sister named Lorraine.

John MacClean he had a sister but (c,r,h,n.)

Godfrey Cole,folks called Ken & Peggy, Ken had a great sence of hummour.

Mick Hempshall, my best mate,he had a much younger brother named Patrick,they were good Catholics so I guess Pat must have been the result of a stray shot. Parrents Frank & Molly. Micks gran lived in the same yard as well. Mick moved to Rochdale, married Barbara and has a daughter.

Victor Waite who was a bit older that us, still is I suppose, lived in the same yard as Mick,Victors old man had a newsagents shop ( a small shed) at the top of Dearn St

Morris Livell,his mum never went out of the house, we call it agoraphobia today. Morris served his time in the steel works and some time later started up his own business but due to some trifling indiscretion served his time again at Her Majesties Pleasure. Today people diddle others out of millions and get a Knighthood for it.

John Vollum,

Below Johns was Syd Smith he ran a motor cycle repair business from his house, later moving to a shop on Attercliffe Common.Many of my hard earned quids went into Syds till.Syd had a sign over the entry that proudly proclaimed Syd Smith Motor Cycles Rudge Agent. I bet the screw holes are still in the brickwork.

Other people that I remember were old man Wright who lived on the corner of Limpsfield and Oxted Rd. He was a self appointed custodian of the “Quarry” and was always chasing us kids away .We thought that he was a right *******, pun intended, but I got to know him better as a teenager and he was quite a nice guy really.

Susan Ashforth lived on Oxted Rd.

Derek Willsons folks had a fruit and veg shop in Jenkin Rd,he married Linda Swain *******!, more about that later. His folks built a new house on Oxted Rd near the old farm.The house was very posh at the time, they were probably charging too much for the fruit and veg .My dad worked long hours (shifts) as a turner at ESC River Don works for a pittance, this hard graft no doubt contributed to his early death .

Mick & Joyce Smith nee Hotnell, they lived in the same yard as Roy Hatersley.Joyces mum lived on Oxted Rd and ran a sweet shop out of her back room .My aunty, Dorris Whitehead nee Thornton would take me there to buy sweets,(was this the start of tooth cavities).Mick Smith had a Ariel Square 4 which was a very cool bike to have at the time. My dad bought it off him but spoilt it by attaching a sidecar, still I had to go somewhere.

Most of the kids above went to Bright side school including Tina Cotton from Jenkin Rd, Lyn Davies, Dave Nettleton, John Read, Danny Slack both from Dearne St and many others their names I cannot recall. Fortunately I have a Brightside School group photo of us all taken in May 1952 and if we ,The Old Boys and Girls ,were to see it ,it might just jog our old gray mattes and we might be able to put a few names to the faces . It really is fun and embarrassing (God did I really look like that) at the same time, . If any one wants a copy just let me know, then we can compare notes.

One think that is permanently etched in my mind were the toilets at Brightside School. The bogs were built in Victorian times and never upgraded after generations of Brightside kids had put their bums on those ****** soaked wooden seats. I took one look and decided in an instance that no way was my very young arse ever going to make contact with the mahogany. This early (bad) experiences got me into a life long habit of going for a crap before I left home for school or work and you can almost set you’re watch by my bowel rumblings. Rubble rumble must be 6.45, yes sure is, on time as usual, off we go, grab a book. This routine will continue long after I’ve been put in the ground and some early morning jogger, running though the graveyard is going to be in for a fright.

I better stop typing now as I have used all the memory up, mine not the computers. I have more to say especially about Hinde House School. I would love to hear from anyone who can confirm, deny or add to what I have written. The passing of time has a nasty habit of distorting things somewhat but it might have jogged a few memories and perhaps between us we might get the facts straight.