Anybody On Here From Brightside Or Hinde House School

so Frank, are you younger brother of Gordon Lingard? I went to college with him in Nottingham and he had a brother Frank. I suppose there might be a few Frank Lingards about!

Diane Egan - I reckon you played tennis with a tall girl whose name I can't remember. I played in the tournament (posh name for a bit of a sham) with partner Patricia Woodcock. We played nine game and won none! We gave up on Wimbledon there and then...

I left Hinde House in 1960 and those of us who started at the school in 1956 when it was built have regular reunions which I attend. I don't live in Sheffield anymore but am told by the lady who organises the reunions and is in touch with the school that the original school building was set alight by vandals a few years ago which is why it had to be pulled down. It was very sad that it happened shortly before the school's 50th Anniversary in 2006.

John

Thanks for that information John. For years I had been looking at satellite images of the school land and couldn't work out what had happened! I didn't recognise what I was looking at and couldn't understand it.

I admit to not particularly enjoying school, but since I didn't know what else to do, I stayed on with a good set of girls (Patricia Woodcock, Cheryl Slater and Maureen Docherty) and ended up at teaching college in Nottingham. I do thank heavens for accidentally getting in with the 'right sort'!

What I find amazing is how many names are being thrown into the hat on this website, and how many seem so familiar after 40 years. Wish I could have some of those years back!

moxon rings a bell ,where did she live?

Next door to the sportsman on barnsley road.

I was at Hinde House from September 1965 till December 1969. I remember George Ridgeway well. Miss Frohock, Mrs. Long (first form teacher), Chris Hawes (English), Mr. Ward, Mr. Collins, Mr. Hill (History), Mr. Parkin (Maths), Mr. Powell (Chemistry?).

Not forgetting Spam (Pemberton), Turner (nice bloke) and Edwards (scary).

Drinkingman, you must have been there for most of the time that I was! I went in 65, class 1C (C for Chantrey house!) 2B1, 3B1, 4B1 5B1, AND I stayed for 6th Form (brave soul) I don't remember ever ever talking to Edwards, even though Tricia, Cheryl and I did some nice singing at school! Ungrateful Oik!

First form tutor and maths teacher was Mr Ward, and we thought he was lovely, a real nice bloke and not scary unless one of the boys crossed him. Fred Collins was explosive when the lads misbehaved, and I think he was more than willing to 'slipper' them.

Does anyone remember lining up for BCG tests and the rumour spreading down the queue that it was a virginity test!? Hilarious! Why we were panicking I don't know, we were all virgins - 'what if the test goes wrong?' How silly we were. Fun to remember though.

I went to Hinde House from 1958 to 1962. The teachers I remember were, Mr Andrews (games and music) Mr O'Keefe (games) Mr Millner (games) Mr Napier (metalwork) Mrs Napier ( can't remember what she taught) Mr Gill (maths) Mr Hook (english) Mrs Turner (History) I could probably remember a few more if I thought about it long enough. I still see some of the old lads. Dave Irving, Paul Barson, Rodger Ludlam, Cliff Redfearn, Brian Bilby. I don't see many of the old girls around, mind you, they probably wouldn't want to remember me.

so Frank, are you younger brother of Gordon Lingard? I went to college with him in Nottingham and he had a brother Frank. I suppose there might be a few Frank Lingards about!

Diane Egan - I reckon you played tennis with a tall girl whose name I can't remember. I played in the tournament (posh name for a bit of a sham) with partner Patricia Woodcock. We played nine game and won none! We gave up on Wimbledon there and then...

I am indeed that person,Gordon lives in Melbourne now but was over here in the Summer. He's had an interesting life (nothing bad) will p.m you if you're interested it'll probably bore the others. Are you Lynne by the way?

yes always playing tennis & basketball. to no avail......

I went to Brighside School and Hinde House and lived on Limpsfield Road :) So did my eldest sister Laraine Guite and my brother Freddie Guite. Any memories anyone. I was born in 58 but they were born in the 40's.. We lived on Limpsfield Road until the middle 70's, nearly at the top on the left hand side number 75, I can remember the cobbled road seemed endless when I used to walk up from the bottom, been since and it not at all?. Does anyone have any memories of my brother at school or later as a drummer, sadly he died in 75. Any photos? I have posted a few on friends reunited from Brightside school. Look forward to hearing from you. Pauline Guite

i went to hinde house in the very early 80,s, i remember the prefects on break duty, they would never let us go inside at break times, especially in the winter.

Hi Pauline,

Are you still there? You can be forgiven if you have given up waiting for a response after all this time but I have only just caught up with the Forum. Wrote something about Limpsfield back in Jan 07 but there were only a few responses, (Anlaby St having the best recall) so I drifted away. Could it be that most folk who lived there at the time are either dead, moved to the other end of the earth (still how much farther can get than me without falling off the end), don’t give a stuff about the past or are in la la land. Might be a good place to be though. No worries there.

OK cut the crap Pete did I hear you say and get on with it.

So I was born in 47 that’s 1947, at no 69 Limpsfield Rd. My Gran lived in the next yard up at 73? Same yard as you Pauline but to my shame I can’t remember you. Yes, I knew Freddie, we played together a lot. Now I’m talking about kids play not the later pop bands that Freddie was to play in. I think Freddie was a bit younger than me, this is where the brain crumble clicks in again, can’t be sure but there would be only a couple of years in it.

I can remember your Ma and Pa but for some reason I remember Jim better. He was either your Dad’s or Mum’s brother? He was a very friendly guy, lived on Dearne St and drove a truck for the London Brick Co. Always had a red face, that’s Jims face not the truck, although these lorries were red with some black and seemed to be very big to us kids although when you see a restored one today they are quite small. Foden I think?

I have three photos of Freddie taken in the early 50’s. Two were snapped in our backyard the third being taken by a professional photographer of all the pupils of Brightside School. The date on the back says 1954.I can scan these pics and send you the copies. Let me know.

There’s a lot more to say but I’ll leave that until later.

See Ya,

Pete.

Hinde House was my school too- Sept 64 onwards. Martin Staniforth was my first form teacher, there's some photos from Hinde House over the years posted on Friends Reunited