Advice on a snappy shihtzu please

So I have a male shihtzu, 4 years old. To be honest I have only had him for a year and he is the perfect little man but only with me. He really is unpredictable with other people especially younger children. My daughter is 8 and knows to keep out of his way as he has been known to run up and nip her for no apparent reason:( ... The thing is, he has now nipped/bitten a child one too many times. My daughter and her young friend were going out of the front door today and genuinely for no reason he ran behind them barking and bit her friends leg. I am absolutely heart broken because Ive reached the decision that I can no longer keep him but I just don't know what to do with him, how can I offer him for rehome when I don't trust him? Any advice would be massively appreciated , thanks in advance

Just to add, we also have two other dogs (Staffies) who are perfect pets ( just trying to point out I'm not an amateur dog owner)

A family member helps in a dog rescue and took in a 12 month old dog. She woeked very hard with him, he had belonged to an old lady. He was snappy and unpredicatable, but wanted to give him a chance. She had him for over a year when he suddenly went for one of her other dogs, her husband pulled him off, and the dog turned on him. The upshot was he had to be put to sleep. They wouldn't have been able to re home him. Hard as it was, it was the right thing to

Oh no, that's what I'm afraid of. I've spent a lot of time googling his behaviour and trying out various advice given because I honestly do love the little man, he's the perfect gentleman with me but just so unpredictable with others. He has a thing about chasing people when they are leaving our house, he's nipped two adults while he's been with us but with children it's a different matter especially when you have to explain to a little girls parents and profusely apologise for his behaviour. Every time he does it I think I'll give him another chance and try out something new but when do I decide enough is enough?

We got our dog from a national German Shepherd rehome charity - they have people willing to take on challenging dogs, including things like you describe (which doesnt sound that bad). There will be places and people who can help

No expert myself but a proper behavioural assessment might be appropriate, "unexpected" behaviour usually has a trigger or early warning signs

The dog is trying to control the children, the nipping is likely his way to make them acknowledge they can leave.

A lot of dogs with herding & guarding instincts do it.

Humans don't find it acceptable and always see it a sign of aggression but for dogs it's their way of communicating.

I'm no expert but have experience of rehoming dogs and behaviourism/training but i am a big believer in pack mentality in dogs.

Try to reduce the tension/heightening of senses around him - children can get hyper and wind the dogs up unintentionally. If needed attach his lead or separate him when anyone leaves the house as that is often a trigger point for possessive dogs. Only release him when his mood fits that which you want him to display.

Dogs do need to have rules and a calm place to live.

My neighbour is working on similar issues with a much larger dog and i have a friend doing the same stuff with a dalmation,all with success but it is a daily repetitive routine not a quick fix.

Agree with willman - these issues can be worked on. A lot of progress has been made already because you have clearly identified the problematic areas/trigger points. You need to take charge and manage/prevent this behaviour. See a behaviourist for a one to one appointment and with a bit of support and advice you should be able to control the dog. However, bear in mind that you might always have to be aware of his issues and may need to be careful not to put him in situations that he is uncomfortable with.

So I have a male shihtzu, 4 years old. To be honest I have only had him for a year and he is the perfect little man but only with me. He really is unpredictable with other people especially younger children. My daughter is 8 and knows to keep out of his way as he has been known to run up and nip her for no apparent reason:( ... The thing is, he has now nipped/bitten a child one too many times. My daughter and her young friend were going out of the front door today and genuinely for no reason he ran behind them barking and bit her friends leg. I am absolutely heart broken because Ive reached the decision that I can no longer keep him but I just don't know what to do with him, how can I offer him for rehome when I don't trust him? Any advice would be massively appreciated , thanks in advance

Just to add, we also have two other dogs (Staffies) who are perfect pets ( just trying to point out I'm not an amateur dog owner)

why not speak to a dog behaviourist ? take him to the vet to make sure he is well and also check what your child is doing to make him behave like that . These are just a check list as the likely hood is this little one needs a behaviorist rathe than be rehomed

I know that this is going to be unpopular and I am truly sorry, but...I wouldn't have a dog like that around Children, its not fair on him or them, its an accident waiting to happen and actually it is already happening :(

I think there are 3 choices here.

Firstly, work with a behaviorist see if the situation can be improved...but even then I would not give him the chance to fail and would certainly either crate him or put in another room while Children are running around.

Next, rehome him into a home that will never have Children and have experience with dogs like this, but that may be pretty hard to find :(

Lastly, PTS, horrible thing to have to do and last resort really but it is a choice, if he were a larger dog and more of a danger it would be a real option but hopefully with him being small there should be no need.

I do hope that you can figure something out, it really is a heartbreaking dilemma and one that I have faced myself in the distant past, I think its a case of making a plan and working to it, at least you will then begin to see where to go next...good luck I hope that it all works out well x

Just out of interest do you cuddle snuddle and have him on your knee a lot ?

Thank you for all your responses they were all really interesting to read. Firstly I need to really stress that my daughter (her friend too to be fair) genuinely have done nothing to offend him, if someone else had started this thread I honestly would have thought the same thing but I'm absolutely confident she hasn't even done anything unwittingly, she's aware of his "aggression " so to be fair gives him a wide birth. As long as I've had him he's always barked and occasionally nipped when ANYONE left the house. I've worked hard with him, I've got him to a stage where he's not so aggressive when out on the lead and although he is dying to chase people from the house, when I'm there he literally holds it back. I do wonder if his behaviour may stem from his previous owners, who lets just say didn't have quite a quiet household as ours, they did have children but never let on about his bad habits.

I'm leaning towards the behaviourist route but I'm so so sad that I just don't trust him anymore and not sure I ever will which then makes me realise it may not be fair on either us or him to keep him (I really am confused and torn about the whole thing) I usually make sure he's no where near the front door when anyone is leaving but obviously when someone leaves without me knowing I can't do it.

As I said thank you for all your comments and advice, I shall keep you updated on the situation.

---------- Post added 04-11-2016 at 17:14 ----------

Just out of interest do you cuddle snuddle and have him on your knee a lot ?

No, I never have, purely because of the having 3 dogs thing, I wouldn't show favouritism. I did read that could have been a factor on one of my many googling sessions. He does however follow me everywhere, wait behind a closed door for me, sit at my feet etc

Hard as it is and it IS. How would you feel if the nipping turns into biting? The longer you keep him the harder it is going to be............I feel for you. I have had dogs all my life, but never had to have one put to sleep because of bad behaviour.

IMO I'd have him pts. Far too many nice natured dogs in rescues centres desperately wanting a loving home for there to be nasty ones that would snap at you or children in a blink of an eye.

Edited by Sienna6