No parking on my road for road works. No works carried out

As you may have guessed from the other replies, your experience is normal for Amey. We had signs up for a week in August.....nothing. signs changed to another week in August...nothing. Then a week in September and they finally did the paths. Well, some of them. Badly. But still...they showed up eventually. Seems to be the norm!

We had letter in August and signs went up for them to do paths with no parking etc 1st to 7th September on the 7th it changed to 7th to 14th, we had a 2 week holiday booked from 14th so made arrangents for one of our cars to go in storage.

We got back on 29th September the signs were gone. No work done whatsoever to paths or road and no explanation.

And as of 1st November still nothing.

It's (yet) another effect of the totalitarian system we have allowed ourselves to be drawn into.

If someone "in authority" says something, then we have to jump, but if they don't do what they say, then it's just tough!

The whole nation has been getting worse for it over the last few years and we seem to stand for it!

Nobody is now standing up for the "ordinary people".

We are being steamrolled into submission and servitude by an establishment which KNOWS they cannot be contradicted.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

It's (yet) another effect of the totalitarian system we have allowed ourselves to be drawn into.

If someone "in authority" says something, then we have to jump, but if they don't do what they say, then it's just tough!

The whole nation has been getting worse for it over the last few years and we seem to stand for it!

Nobody is now standing up for the "ordinary people".

We are being steamrolled into submission and servitude by an establishment which KNOWS they cannot be contradicted.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

1984 , 32 years on? Big Brother is every where eh? :cool:

1984 , 32 years on? Big Brother is every where eh? :cool:

Bit extreme I think just cos you got to move your car for bit !!

As others have said the system is a shambles, but get used to it, it doesn't get better, although when the did our road in Crookes they repaved half the pavements before someone noticed that they hadn't replaced thr streetlights, even though I mentioned it to the workmen before they started! In the end it is our tax money they are wasting, and our lifes they are disrupting. The house im renovating in Charnock had signs up for no parking for about 50 days this summer, it only actually affected me not being able to park outside the house on 3 days!

In the end it is our tax money they are wasting,

Well, no it isn't.

If Amey do abortive works, it costs them money, not the Council.

The Council make fixed contributions each year and Amey deliver defined outputs (or get penalised if they don't).

Well, no it isn't.

If Amey do abortive works, it costs them money, not the Council.

The Council make fixed contributions each year and Amey deliver defined outputs (or get penalised if they don't).

So, basically, it's in the Council's financial interest for Amey to fall behind schedule, is that what you're implying?

Up 'til your above post, I was (obviously mistakenly) under the impression that the Council Planning were working in conjunction with the Amey and, apart from nothing else, at least just keep an eye on the works going on.

Apart from just farming work out, does the Planning Department actually do anything constructive?

Its quite simple....

The council have a schedule for when roadworks will take place, but there are lots of variables that can affect the start/end dates. Its quite possible they wont know that a start or end date has to be delayed until close to the last minute.

Its a very minor inconvenience for an individual to have to park their car elsewhere for a few hours only to discover they hadn't needed to after all especially when compared to the massive job of having to schedule, plan and complete the works on time.

We should be grateful that the roads are being resurfaced seeing as we moan constantly about the state of our roads. I say put up or shut up!

So, basically, it's in the Council's financial interest for Amey to fall behind schedule, is that what you're implying?

Up 'til your above post, I was (obviously mistakenly) under the impression that the Council Planning were working in conjunction with the Amey and, apart from nothing else, at least just keep an eye on the works going on.

Apart from just farming work out, does the Planning Department actually do anything constructive?

The planning dept deal with planning, not highway maintenance.

The Council have a Network Management team who work with Amey regarding the scheduling of the works and the legal orders necessary for the road closures.

There is a separate Highway Maintenance team who oversee the Amey contract. The contract has performance clauses under which the contractor can incur penalties if they don't perform. It's quite normal for there to be penalties in a contract of that type to cover non-performance.

Its quite simple....

The council have a schedule for when roadworks will take place, but there are lots of variables that can affect the start/end dates. Its quite possible they wont know that a start or end date has to be delayed until close to the last minute.

Its a very minor inconvenience for an individual to have to park their car elsewhere for a few hours only to discover they hadn't needed to after all especially when compared to the massive job of having to schedule, plan and complete the works on time.

We should be grateful that the roads are being resurfaced seeing as we moan constantly about the state of our roads. I say put up or shut up!

I think you're living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think you only have to remove your car for 'a few hours' … read the thread.

The other thing to take into consideration for your 'minor inconvenience' is where to park your car. I haven't the foggiest to be honest, I certainly wouldn't take up the parking space of a house owner on another street.

Mind you, if it only takes 'a few hours' to lay the new road surface as you say, I suppose I could just drive round in circles for a while. :loopy:

I think you're living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think you only have to remove your car for 'a few hours' … read the thread.

The other thing to take into consideration for your 'minor inconvenience' is where to park your car. I haven't the foggiest to be honest, I certainly wouldn't take up the parking space of a house owner on another street.

Mind you, if it only takes 'a few hours' to lay the new road surface as you say, I suppose I could just drive round in circles for a while. :loopy:

Its just a few hours each day. I dont see what all the fuss is about. To avoid parking outside anyone elses house I chose to park my car some distance away each day when they did our road in August. But theres nothing wrong with parking outside someone elses house, they don't own that bit of road. Park wherever you want assuming its legal. Its only for a week or to. Whats the problem?

Unless your disabled, then whats the problem with having to walk a bit further to/from your car for a few days? Just be grateful that you've got such a first world problem to worry about.