FIFA say the poppy is a political symbol.

Surely all countries on the Allied side of WW2 ought now to declare, collectively, that they'll stop funding FIFA if it imposes any penalty at all on the England and Scotland teams for unlawful poppy-wearing.

excellent post:thumbsup:

Surely all countries on the Allied side of WW2 ought now to declare, collectively, that they'll stop funding FIFA if it imposes any penalty at all on the England and Scotland teams for unlawful poppy-wearing.

remember its not just about WW2 or WW1 had few conflict since, its about remembering all those that gave in service to our Nation. Other than that great post.

Edited by phil752

Jeffrey;

I understand your frustration. However, if we did that, believe FIFA would stop the UK teams participating in all football games in Europe and world wide where they control professional football, which would include the World Cup.

One option I could see is the teams installing the poppy on a shirt sleeve or armband, say for e.g. two weeks prior to Nov 11.

Ask FIFA for approval. If they refuse, then the FA should leave the teams to decide if they wish to proceed or not

Unfortunately, everything has to be "Politically correct" these days.

Its not just for allied powers, though it is strongest in the British Commonwealth, but not the USA. It is a symbol for all men and women that perished in the various wars since the "War to end all wars" in 1914.

I am not a badge of honour,

I am not a racist smear,

I am not a fashion statement to be worn every year

I am not glorification of conflict or war,

I am not a paper ornament or a token.,

I am more.

I am a loving memory of a father or son,

a mother, a sister or daughter each and everyone.

I am paper or enamel,

I am old or shining new,

I am a way of saying thank you to every one of you.

I am a single poppy, a reminder to you all,

that courage faith and honour will stand where heroes fall.

By Paul Hunter.

That'll stop it becoming political!

and save it from losing its meaning!

FIFA now deciding to punish the Irish team:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37872020

It was either that or let England and Scotland wear poppies

I thought they were allowed because it was a friendly match?

All this fuss? Why did England and Scotland even ask? The game is on the 11th. They should have just turned up and played wearing the black armbands with poppies. FIFA probably wouldn't even have noticed.

Who else can see this happening, but with poppies?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3542682/Lyon-match-against-Nice-delayed-PAPER-pitch.html

I thought they were allowed because it was a friendly match?

All this fuss? Why did England and Scotland even ask? The game is on the 11th. They should have just turned up and played wearing the black armbands with poppies. FIFA probably wouldn't even have noticed.

Who else can see this happening, but with poppies?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3542682/Lyon-match-against-Nice-delayed-PAPER-pitch.html

I think they should cancel the match so our brave sportsmen can concentrate on being stoic and remember those who died, and making sure their poppy leaves are set at the correct angle, and their socks at half mast.

Danny mills has a brilliant idea - truly brilliant. http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/danny-mills-poppy-england-fifa/95789

I'm sure he did when he played for England (when Gary Neville was injured). No?

I think they should cancel the match so our brave sportsmen can concentrate on being stoic and remember those who died, and making sure their poppy leaves are set at the correct angle, and their socks at half mast.

Danny mills has a brilliant idea - truly brilliant. http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/danny-mills-poppy-england-fifa/95789

I'm sure he did when he played for England (when Gary Neville was injured). No?

Yup. and furthermore, according to wiki;

"He earned a total of 19 caps for the national team, all won in games played away from Wembley, a record for an England player in the modern era."

It's not the daftest thing a soccerist has said. I remember when the whole Romania squad dyed their hair red. Jimmy Hill said it might have been tactical so they could see each other better.

Oh, and he likened someone mocking his big old chin to use of the N word.

Still can not get a grip on this, why don't they just get a special remembrance shirt and have the poppy on it, i hate arm bands to be honest, (always remind me of the other fella) and let FIFA be dammed.

they've only been having poppies printed on football shirts over the past 10 or 15 years , so it's hardly a tradition.

As for the poppy being politicised or a political symbol, well id say it is..more so these days.

Still,FIFA and uefa's ban on what they deem as political symbols needs to be done away with.

be nice to see our team in the Escape to Victory kit in defiance. :idea::idea::idea: