Why do drivers do it

Passing traffic on the left (and staying in that lane while clear) is not classed as undertaking. Like many on here, it's something I have to do regularly, either on multiple lane roads or on the motorway.

Specifically the HC mentions lanes moving at different speeds. I don't think that description applies to the situation described by the OP.

Specifically the HC mentions lanes moving at different speeds. I don't think that description applies to the situation described by the OP.

I don't know about any documentation online to support this but it was explained to me in an ADI class once that overtaking is the act of leaving your lane to pass someone then returning to the same lane, while switching lanes and continuing in that lane while clear is simply passing someone.

EDIT: Actually, on this Wikipedia page it shows an example of both, in the top right corner. I haven't read through the page though.

Overtaking

Passing

Edited by RootsBooster

I don't think that the HC or the RTA make any distinction between passing and overtaking.

From the wiki link you provided though

The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.[6] On other roads, the Code advises drivers "should only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163).[7] Rule 163 uses advisory wording and "will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted", but may be used in evidence to establishing liability in any court proceedings.[8] On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving.[citation needed] Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences.

The wording of the HC would suggest that staying in your lane OR moving to the left to pass someone on the inside are both considered to be undertaking.

I'm fascinated, can you describe a situation where 70 is WAY too slow to be safe? Perhaps if you've accidentally joined Silverstone in the middle of a race?

I guess by that measure if two cars are illegally racing in the right hand lane at over the speed limit, the pulling out at 70mph would be too slow.

HC rule 267

remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out

So I would contend in fact that pulling out into traffic in a faster lane (we know that motorway speeds regularly exceed 70 mph) is WAY to slow.

I don't think that the HC or the RTA make any distinction between passing and overtaking.

From the wiki link you provided though

The wording of the HC would suggest that staying in your lane OR moving to the left to pass someone on the inside are both considered to be undertaking.

I've changed to a left, faster moving lane in view of police on several occasions with no issue. If there's someone travelling at 50mph in the right lane and we're not permitted to pass on the left, that would lead to a gigantic tailback even though the road ahead is clear.

---------- Post added 02-11-2016 at 10:36 ----------

This would suggest that the act of overtaking involves returning to your original lane -

"Highway code, Rule 162

Before overtaking you should make sure

-the road is sufficiently clear ahead

-road users are not beginning to overtake you

-there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake."

Edited by RootsBooster

The highway code isn't law though, so undertaking is usually dealt with as dangerous driving or something similar.

I remember hearing a traffic policeman on the radio saying that if you've enough time to change to the left lane, overtake and then rejoin the original carriageway then the vehicle overtaken had time to change lanes to allow you to overtake on the right. At no point did he mention that this was an illegal manoeuvre.

I pass on the left regularly and safely. Being aware of the other driver and I even slow down to the legal speed limit rather than the unofficial one.

The highway code isn't law though, so undertaking is usually dealt with as dangerous driving or something similar.

I didn't say that it was the law.

---------- Post added 02-11-2016 at 11:51 ----------

I guess by that measure if two cars are illegally racing in the right hand lane at over the speed limit, the pulling out at 70mph would be too slow.

Pulling out where? Why would you pull out in front of another car?

So I would contend in fact that pulling out into traffic in a faster lane (we know that motorway speeds regularly exceed 70 mph) is WAY to slow.

So don't pull out. It doesn't make driving at 70mph "WAY too slow to drive safely", it makes pulling out dangerous. Note that the full sentence included "to drive safely".

I don't think there is a specific legal definition of overtaking or undertaking. So whether a police officer chooses to do anything will be down to their judgement.

Edited by Cyclone

So what of the other 50% of drivers who aren't really worried about their 'masculinity' ????

Some of the most aggressive drivers I have experienced on the Sheffield roads have or appeared to have at least two X chromosomes.

---------- Post added 02-11-2016 at 13:27 ----------

When it says you MUST it is the law.

From the idiots I encountered on this mornings commute,

Driving 10mph below the 50mph speed limit on a 2 lane dual carriageway, but speeding up whenever anyone tries to overtake, just enough to prevent them passing you.

Getting in the correct lane on a multi-lane (designated lanes for specific exits) roundabout then swerving out into another lane to get past and then swerving back in to get off the roundabout as the road narrows into the exit.

Deliberately speeding up for an overtake at the absolute last minute to very dangerously squeeze past as 2 lanes merge into one.