Why do drivers do it

Can i be in the firing squad.:hihi::hihi:

Get in line ... :cool:

It has stopped people doing it though. Especially people in aging Ford Foci.

Not enough police to catch em all, same with phone use and they've bumped up the fine for that.

That is pretty shameful, you don't get the feeling there is much remorse from the forces involved.

That is pretty shameful, you don't get the feeling there is much remorse from the forces involved.

Presumeably their shift was over, so they went home...

Working time directive and all that nonsense.

There are not even enough police to catch people driving 30 (count em, 30) miles the wrong way up the motorway FGS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-37834668

This made my blood boil when i read this today,they should have stopped this gentleman straight away by whatever means they could.Surely a stinger to take out the tyres could have been used at some point.Nearly everytime this kind of thing happens it is usually a case of early dementia or alzeihmers.How the hell did he get access to a car,if his family knew he still had a car and was driving with dementia then shame on them for allowing it to happen.It is a terrible disease and i have known several people who have developed this but family members must take it upon themselves to make sure they do not get in to a car and drive.I am not sure what the law is on driving with dementia to be honest,but if it was a family member of mine i would take the car off them.

This made my blood boil when i read this today,they should have stopped this gentleman straight away by whatever means they could.Surely a stinger to take out the tyres could have been used at some point.Nearly everytime this kind of thing happens it is usually a case of early dementia or alzeihmers.How the hell did he get access to a car,if his family knew he still had a car and was driving with dementia then shame on them for allowing it to happen.It is a terrible disease and i have known several people who have developed this but family members must take it upon themselves to make sure they do not get in to a car and drive.I am not sure what the law is on driving with dementia to be honest,but if it was a family member of mine i would take the car off them.

guess we will find out on emmerdale

One of the biggest dangers on the roads is angry or stressed out drivers, especially if they have poor reaction times, maybe due to age, inexperience, substance abuse or attitude. Some years ago, I took the trouble to do an advanced motoring course with a guy who was an ex police driving instructor. It was an absolute revelation to me the sheer amount of detail he could extract from the immediate situation to pick up clues as to what might happen next. The absolute bottom line is to drive as safely as you can dependant upon the prevailing road conditions and other road users. The Highway Code is only a guide. So, rather than sitting behind a silly driver, getting stressed out and flashing like crazy, you safely pass by wherever you can. It would appear that the police have all but given up on policing the road network and so the best advice is to drive as safely as you can, be considerate, indicate wherever appropriate to tell others what you are going to do and don't get overly concerned about 'rules' because you might be the only one sticking to them! Speed limits are a case in point where 30mph is way too fast in some locations and 70mph way too slow to drive safely in others. Drive to the conditions and obey the laws wherever you can but be flexible and above all, safe.

One of the biggest dangers on the roads is angry or stressed out drivers, especially if they have poor reaction times, maybe due to age, inexperience, substance abuse or attitude. Some years ago, I took the trouble to do an advanced motoring course with a guy who was an ex police driving instructor. It was an absolute revelation to me the sheer amount of detail he could extract from the immediate situation to pick up clues as to what might happen next. The absolute bottom line is to drive as safely as you can dependant upon the prevailing road conditions and other road users. The Highway Code is only a guide. So, rather than sitting behind a silly driver, getting stressed out and flashing like crazy, you safely pass by wherever you can. It would appear that the police have all but given up on policing the road network and so the best advice is to drive as safely as you can, be considerate, indicate wherever appropriate to tell others what you are going to do and don't get overly concerned about 'rules' because you might be the only one sticking to them! Speed limits are a case in point where 30mph is way too fast in some locations and 70mph way too slow to drive safely in others. Drive to the conditions and obey the laws wherever you can but be flexible and above all, safe.

This is a very good post.

Sadly there are some who think sticking to the law makes them a good driver.

Adding testosterone fueled young drivers would complete your list

It's really only undertaking if you pass a vehicle on the inside then pull immediately back in front of the offending vehicle. If you pass on the inside and continue in the same lane it is merely travelling in a lane which happens to be moving faster than others. (I do it often)

Imagine not passing on the inside when a motorway starts slowing down.......9 times out of 10 the outside lane is far slower than the nearside lane!! This is because people call it the 'fast lane' and assume it will be, but regular users of motorways know different.

Similar to slip road misuse but that should be another thread.

Technically I think it's the act of moving left to pass that makes it an undertake, although if you have to argue it with a traffic cop then good luck with that distinction.

You'd be better off agreeing that you did undertake, after assessing the possible risks, an exit route and making a decision in the light of the idiot blocking the 2nd lane.

---------- Post added 02-11-2016 at 09:24 ----------

70mph way too slow to drive safely in others.

I'm fascinated, can you describe a situation where 70 is WAY too slow to be safe? Perhaps if you've accidentally joined Silverstone in the middle of a race?

Technically I think it's the act of moving left to pass that makes it an undertake, although if you have to argue it with a traffic cop then good luck with that distinction.

You'd be better off agreeing that you did undertake, after assessing the possible risks, an exit route and making a decision in the light of the idiot blocking the 2nd lane.

Passing traffic on the left (and staying in that lane while clear) is not classed as undertaking. Like many on here, it's something I have to do regularly, either on multiple lane roads or on the motorway.