'How to build a human'

Interesting programme (Channel 4)

Gemma Chan, star of 'Humans' (series 2 just started) looks at the world of Artificial intelligence and robotics, to see if a team of scientists can build an actual replicant of her. The final test is seeing if it can fool a number of journalists in an interview.

The technology is amazing, but what is even creepier is the information of how things will be in the near future and the ethical problems that this will throw up.

Things are advancing incredibly quickly. These things could be walking among us by 2050.

Did anybody else see it? What did you think?

Gemma Chan, star of 'Humans' (series 2 just started) looks at the world of Artificial intelligence and robotics, to see if a team of scientists can build an actual replicant of her. The final test is seeing if it can fool a number of journalists in an interview.

The technology is amazing, but what is even creepier is the information of how things will be in the near future and the ethical problems that this will throw up.

Things are advancing incredibly quickly. These things could be walking among us by 2050.

Maybe Mary Shelley was on to something when she wrote Frankenstein 200 years ago lol;)

I think most people are robots now anyway Anna, so what's new? :D

I recorded it, but not watched yet. tbh, you've put me off it :hihi::P

I think most people are robots now anyway Anna, so what's new? :D

I recorded it, but not watched yet. tbh, you've put me off it :hihi::P

No, I recommend it. It's a good watch.

In the 1980s BBC Radio-4 aired a Sci-Fi series called Earthsearch. It was set aboard a starship with

a crew of 4 humans, some androids and a couple 'Free will' computers called Angel-One and Angel-two.

The Angels had their own agenda, they wanted to be in control of a planet populated by humans.

It's quite a good series and occasionally gets aired on BBC Radio-4 Extra, and so well worth a listen.

So if humankind ever builds a computer that appears to have 'Free will' or appears to be conscious, can

reconcile classical & quantum mechanics, determine what's at the bottom of a black-hole, has the politics of

Joseph Stalin/ Idi Amin/ Pol Pot/ ( add to the list here )...

OR

If humankind ever build a computer to run the planet, and the computer determines the biggest threat to

the planet is humankind...

... we had better watchout.

Creating AI is one thing but creating a robot that can look, think, talk and walk like a human is a long long way away. In any case, I would question why we would want to do it anyway. Creating machines that make humans redundant is not such a good step.

Edited by apelike

Guest sibon
Creating machines that make humans redundant is not such a good step.

Just wait until they create a machine that can create a machine that makes humans redundant.

Then we are in big trouble:D

Creating AI is one thing but creating a robot that can look, think, talk and walk like a human is a long long way away. In any case, I would question why we would want to do it anyway. Creating machines that make humans redundant is not such a good step.

But we've already created machines that can replace humans, as this programme pointed out. They can 'think' and make decisions. This is accelerating exponentially, and putting people out of work. That was part of the discussion.

The robot that 'looks' human is merely cosmetic, and not the main concern, although it was interesting to watch in this programme. They do have 'humanoid' robots working in Japan, (as hotel receptionists) but that's just a gimmick.

But we've already created machines that can replace humans, as this programme pointed out. They can 'think' and make decisions. This is accelerating exponentially, and putting people out of work. That was part of the discussion.

But you also stated that they could be walking amongst us by 2050 and that was what I was really replying to.

But.. they cant "think" and are just preprogrammed to mimic thinking and use logic to make decisions. We had the industrial revolution and adapted, we have automation in industries and adapted and we all now have personal computers. Trouble is the very things that can destroy us we are also embracing and happy to go along with. Currently the internet is one which is also putting people out of work and yet we are both happy to use it knowing that.

The problem as I see it is how we implement changes.

But you also stated that they could be walking amongst us by 2050 and that was what I was really replying to.

But.. they cant "think" and are just preprogrammed to mimic thinking and use logic to make decisions. We had the industrial revolution and adapted, we have automation in industries and adapted and we all now have personal computers. Trouble is the very things that can destroy us we are also embracing and happy to go along with. Currently the internet is one which is also putting people out of work and yet we are both happy to use it knowing that.

The problem as I see it is how we implement changes.

This is an industrial revolution unlike any that has gone before it, and the loss of jobs because of it is a considerable worry which is only going to get worse. New jobs that arise will also be done by computers. Computers are now being programmed to not only mimic thinking, but to learn and make decisions for themselves. Did you watch the progamme?

We are going to have to 'adapt' to a world of unemployment.

This is an industrial revolution unlike any that has gone before it, and the loss of jobs because of it is a considerable worry which is only going to get worse. New jobs that arise will also be done by computers. Computers are now being programmed to not only mimic thinking, but to learn and make decisions for themselves. Did you watch the progamme?

Unfortunately I didn't watch it as I don't watch TV.

Since the advent of computer automation it was predicted that jobs would be lost (true) and that unemployment would rise (false). Since their introduction unemployment has actually gone down. New industries have risen to cope with the demand for computer products/components and IT services. Microsoft's introduction of its OS allowed thousands of new companies to spring up to support their plug and play interface. Because of plug and play it allowed for the PC to be upgraded, unlike Apple who tried to control the market to its advantage. Unfortunately the by-product of all this was that it has created greater wealth for companies and shareholders and one of the reasons why the wealth barrier has been widening. But it also gave us fast, cheap computing, mobile phones tablets etc.

I don't believe it will cause unemployment or is anything to worry about for a long time to come.

You ever seen a robot walk? Or run? Its hilarious and often involves them falling over. The best Ive seen walks up stairs like its nursing a hangover.