Tap and Barrel pub has closed.

Love the area managers views.

"The Tap and Barrel is a great pub in a great location, right in the heart of the city" - Pub is in run down area.

"Major regeneration is due to be happening in this area over the next few years" -By which time you will be broke.

"There is currently a very strong daytime trade"-Main clientele are alcoholics and street drinkers.

;)

Iv read that on Enterprise Inns website made me smile. The area were the Tap and Barrel is like an warzone if the area was so profitable why has no one brought the Market Tavern off the council or reopened the Hare and Hounds? The reason is it would be pointless.

Iv read that on Enterprise Inns website made me smile. The area were the Tap and Barrel is like an warzone if the area was so profitable why has no one brought the Market Tavern off the council or reopened the Hare and Hounds? The reason is it would be pointless.

Exactly and I would imagine based on how long its taken other city centre projects to take place I bet it will be many years before we see a major improvement down there.

Shame its shut and it was referbished inside last year and new doors on,

all outside was painted aswell. The drinkers will now be calling in Big Gun

i bet.

Now the markets have closed I would think there's very little passing trade. It won't surprise me if the building becomes yet more luxury student accommodation.

Now the markets have closed I would think there's very little passing trade. It won't surprise me if the building becomes yet more luxury student accommodation.

That's what became of the Alexander Hotel was closed for a time then turned into flats . I agree if the Tap and Barrel did reopen it would struggle for trade as the area is fast becoming an nothing place . I read from other posters who think that the few remaining pubs in the area will get an boost in trade not always the case in fact many are really struggling now.

Probably most older forum users will remember it as The Bull and Mouth.

yes bull & mouth here :D

Shame its shut and it was referbished inside last year and new doors on,

all outside was painted aswell. The drinkers will now be calling in Big Gun

i bet.

Is that cesspit still open ?

http://www.enterpriseinns.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/tap-and-barrel-sheffield.aspx

Rent 10k a year, Turnover 290k (allegedly)!, 7800 rates a year.

No way that place takes 5k a week. If it did the margin they offer is around 50, rates and rent 350 a week. I would guess it is nearer 3k a week minus VAT, leaves 2.5k of which have is profit £1250 minus the rent and rates £900.

2 staff on minimum wage doing 40 hours = £576.

Leaving £324, pay the electric of circa £50pw, water £10pw, general maintenance £25pw. Council tax on living space £25pw.

Leaving £215, now if you worked only 40 hours to run it, pay yourself £5.37 to be in charge. (You wont even hit taxable income levels). £11,169 PA

You can see why they are closing!

Yes, this is a reasonable assessment james. It's not a good system that the pub industry is currently in.

Funny though that you understand some things, but not others, when they are exactly the same thing, but just a different trade.

You frequently comment in the taxi threads encouraging the same behaviour of the equivalent bad practice by the same type mega-companies.

I'm not sure whether it's irony, stupidity, or the blindness to your own inconsistencies.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 01:44 ----------

And people wonder why so many tied pubs fail. Anyone would think the pubcos want people to go out of business so they can sell off the buildings.

To be fair in this case, from experience, it's the only set of traffic lights in Sheffield where in my taxi I use my lock all doors facility when they catch me on red.

Once was enough when someone got in.

I'm not sure whether it's irony, stupidity, or the blindness to your own inconsistencies..

I don't believe Uber and Pub Co's to be that similar.

Uber has introduced competition to an industry that for a long time has had little. (From a customer perspective).

Enterprise has little or no benefits for the customer or owner of the business. Uber has benefits.

I don't drive taxis, I don't work for Uber, but I use taxis. I like cashless, I like being able to see the driver coming, I like the rating system, and I like the free referrals of which I have had a lot. I do have a couple of cab driver friends which is where most of my discussion has come from.

I find both industries interesting. But there are plenty of issues surrounding the taxi trade of which I am sure you know more than me. But the deregulation has been good for Uber clearly. What doesn't help is the issues around crime (Girls assaulted in cabs), taxis that quote £50 to go from Town to Totley when it is busy and often the general arrogance of some drivers thinking they have a right to a living by being less than honest.

I have had zero issues with Uber as yet. And am now well in to 50+ 'rides'. City/Mercury as was on the other hand I have had late drivers, no show drivers, drivers who think I don't know they are going the longest route, 10 minutes on call hold pre app.

Almost all businesses have loyalty schemes, and Uber has recognised their users by rewarding them, you are lucky to get a thanks when paying most of the time.

My only moral issue is with their paying of corporation tax, but then I also use Amazon. You also have to assume their drivers are declaring their income for tax (i'm sure all cab drivers do this meticulously ;) ) This does put in to 'Local' economies as they earn and spend in this country.

If there was a cashless pub, that had no queues, and served drinks 20% cheaper than everywhere else, I would probably go too!

We are realistically only 15 years away from fully driverless cars, at which point I am afraid the taxi trade will face a whole new plight.

Like with all things it is survival of the fittest. The PubCo model is almost proven not to work, Punch sold off huge amounts of pubs, Enterprise have done the same. And they are now working on new models, like Punch's Falcon model that purely works on income to wage spend. Look at pubs like The York and The Broadfield, both failed as PubCo, but once Freehold, do very well. There are now some great pubs/bars in Sheffield, but you will find mostly they are Freehold/or managed.

Edited by jamesogt

In short, race to the bottom!

I don't believe Uber and Pub Co's to be that similar.

Perhaps the stories I hear of pubcos putting up rents when somewhere does well, weren't true.

If there was a cashless pub, that had no queues, and served drinks 20% cheaper than everywhere else, I would probably go too!

If you owned a pub, and the pub next door was serving drinks 20% cheaper because they were bending the rules to undercut you, I doubt you'd be happy.

Was a very pleasant place anyway. Always arguing and fighting going on outside the pub at night. Seemed to attract a lot of trouble.

Was a very pleasant place anyway. Always arguing and fighting going on outside the pub at night. Seemed to attract a lot of trouble.

Why do you find people arguing and fighting pleasant?