Should i make a complaint to the M.O.T ?

My Son recently took his car for a mot at a local ( local to him ) garage, it failed on several items.

He is a new driver and lives some 30 odd miles away, he phoned me up in a panic, he thought his car was scrap. I asked him to calm down and read out the mot failure to me, i told him not to worry, and to send me a photo of the failure certificate.

After reading the failure notice i assured him that it was not the end of the world and i will fix it.

Ok , so it failed on ( for the mechanics ) on bottom ball joints , both sides ( rubbers perished so as not to prevent the ingress of dirt.

Anti roll bar link arms, both sides , same reason, rubbers split/ perished.

A number plate bulb out, and also a tyre.

THIS IS MY PROBLEM ...........

On the failure certificate, the examiner scribbled down the side what each item would cost to put right, £130 here , £80 here etc.

The total quote was £575.

ALSO AFTER PRINTING THE FAILURE, HE COMPLETELY SCRUBBED OUT ONE ITEM AND SAID IT WAS NOT NEEDED.

I bought the parts and repaired the car, he had new tyre fitted.

HE FAILED IT ON THE ITEM HE SCRUBBED OUT.

I opted to have them fix it, being estranged from my son, at an additional cost of £138.

I know i cant apply for a VT17 , as work has been done on the vehicle since its origional failure, but is there any avenue for complaint.

Its my opinion that if the examiner crossed it out, it did not need attention.

The car has now passed its mot, at a total cost of £247 , considerably less than the origional quote.

Sensible replies would be much appreciated.

My Son recently took his car for a mot at a local ( local to him ) garage, it failed on several items.

He is a new driver and lives some 30 odd miles away, he phoned me up in a panic, he thought his car was scrap. I asked him to calm down and read out the mot failure to me, i told him not to worry, and to send me a photo of the failure certificate.

After reading the failure notice i assured him that it was not the end of the world and i will fix it.

Ok , so it failed on ( for the mechanics ) on bottom ball joints , both sides ( rubbers perished so as not to prevent the ingress of dirt.

Anti roll bar link arms, both sides , same reason, rubbers split/ perished.

A number plate bulb out, and also a tyre.

THIS IS MY PROBLEM ...........

On the failure certificate, the examiner scribbled down the side what each item would cost to put right, £130 here , £80 here etc.

The total quote was £575.

ALSO AFTER PRINTING THE FAILURE, HE COMPLETELY SCRUBBED OUT ONE ITEM AND SAID IT WAS NOT NEEDED.

I bought the parts and repaired the car, he had new tyre fitted.

HE FAILED IT ON THE ITEM HE SCRUBBED OUT.

I opted to have them fix it, being estranged from my son, at an additional cost of £138.

I know i cant apply for a VT17 , as work has been done on the vehicle since its origional failure, but is there any avenue for complaint.

Its my opinion that if the examiner crossed it out, it did not need attention.

The car has now passed its mot, at a total cost of £247 , considerably less than the origional quote.

Sensible replies would be much appreciated.

Complain to the garage directly stating your case. If he refuses to refund you there will no-doubt be an ombudsman or relevant authority to go to.

But complain to the garage directly before escalating because that's what the ombudsman or whatever it is will tell you to do anyway.

I have, via their online comms, the phoned my son and said to him that i had complained, but as yet, i have had no comms from them.

I would suggest that you are too late.

You should have sorted it out before paying for the work to be done.

They can easily say that they were just crossing out the item as something that they would knock off the bill. Not that they were saying that the work wasn't needed.

Thats my problem exactly,i repaired everything that was clearly noted. On re-test , it only failed on the item that he scribbled out , i am not after compensation, i just wonder how many other people this happens to, and if its worth reorting to the M.O.T , or vosa, whatever they are called.

What was it that it failed on. Crossed out item. Didn't it say on the retest paperwork ?

Scribbling cannot contradict the printed certificate.

Like I said, they can just say that scribbling was to indicate that if they did the work, they would not need to charge for fixing that item.

You failed to fix the scribbled-out failure.

Stick your image of the scribbled on certificate online.

Edited by cgksheff

What was it that it failed on. Crossed out item. Didn't it say on the retest paperwork ?

Surely the correct way for the MOT tester would be to have it as a advisory?

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 21:51 ----------

They are printed, was it printed?

Last time I got an advisory, it was printed on the paperwork !

I am waiting for all the paperwork to arrive in the post. Think my ex posted it today. When it arrives I will examine it carefully.

If I can't read the crossed out item then I will definitely pursue my complaint. If I can make out what it says then I think I shall have to put it down to a bad experience as in hindsight I could should have checked item.