New Car - How to SORN??

Guest brownd95

Hi All,

So we bought a car yesterday. The guy delivered it to our house as he had tax and insurance on it. I've got the green slip V5C/2 and want to make the carn SORN until we sell our old carr.

The problem is you can't make it sorn on the tax website unless you are the registered keeper.

These are the exact words of the website:

Unfortunately you cannot use this service yet as the previous keeper of the vehicle has not told DVLA that you are the new keeper.

You should either:

Wait until you receive the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) in your name, and then use the reference number from it to make a SORN online

or complete the forms V890 (make a Statutory Off Road Notification), V62 (application for a vehicle registration certificate) and send with your V5C/2 to DVLA Swansea.

My question is should I just wait until the new V5C document comes through in my name or should I be doing something else??? Confused??

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Dave

I would fill in and send of the v890 form while waiting for the log book to come back

Guest brownd95

I waited till I got the Log book in my name.

We had this problem as well. We put it on private land until the log book arrived.

But you still should have SORNed it.

Well sorry, but as the OP said. The site wouldn't let me .

Well sorry, but as the OP said. The site wouldn't let me .

I was referring to Tim 1's post.

Ok. I agree but if the DVLA site won't let you SORN it what can you do ? I waited till the log Book came and then didn't have a problem.

You do realise you can still go to a post office and do the tax if you have the V5/C right? It's valid from that moment.

I was referring to Tim 1's post.

It kept telling us we were not the registered keeper lol. Even when the log book arrived it still said we were not the keeper. (The log book had our details on it) We phoned the DVLA who went through the usual questions. It resolved nothing! 2 days later it must have updated on there system and we were able to sorn it.