Those mighty blades win AGAIN and Wednesday erm..

A funny thing about John Ritchie's goal scoring record is he had a decent few against Wednesday including a hat trick in one game and four in another. He is a legend of Stoke City.

Yes he did, and John joined the Owls in November 1966. One of the games you might be referring to was Wednesday away at Stoke City in November 1963, the result was 4-4 draw and Ritchie might have got three or four. However the Owls were losing (I think 4-1) at one point and-again I think- David Layne had a lot to do with the recovery.

Ahh John Ritchie and Ron Springett. Think Ritchie scored the winner against us at the Lane 1967. I can still still see it in my mind ( trauma). We Blades used to sing a song about him and Alan Brown.

A header at the Bramall Lane end (a cross from the left?) he seemed to get up about three foot higher than anybody else. Watched it from the kop.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 00:26 ----------

Yes he did, and John joined the Owls in November 1966. One of the games you might be referring to was Wednesday away at Stoke City in November 1963, the result was 4-4 draw and Ritchie might have got three or four. However the Owls were losing (I think 4-1) at one point and-again I think- David Layne had a lot to do with the recovery.

The joke at the time was that we signed him to stop him scoring against us.

Nice of you to point out Wednesday's frailty's in such graphic detail. Unlucky today, should have had the clearest penalty this season after 6 minutes, if we get that, score and face 10 men its a different game. My concern is that we aren't scoring enough of the chances that we create, I think Carlos needs to have an extra hour on shooting practice this week.

As for United, it seems like they didn't have it there own way today but got the job done. You have momentum at he moment and need to cash in on this before the bad run comes.

Obviously can't claim to be a neutral, but I watched that incident a few times over, and I thought it was ball to elbow or back of arm with no intent, still a penalty???

Obviously can't claim to be a neutral, but I watched that incident a few times over, and I thought it was ball to elbow or back of arm with no intent, still a penalty???

Of course it's a penalty. His arm is in an unnatural position and stops the ball going in. Even McLaren said it was a good save.

Of course it's a penalty. His arm is in an unnatural position and stops the ball going in. Even McLaren said it was a good save.

But the fact that he threw himself in front of the ball meant his arm was going to be in an unnatural position. Are you seriously suggesting it was a conscious "save"?

But the fact that he threw himself in front of the ball meant his arm was going to be in an unnatural position. Are you seriously suggesting it was a conscious "save"?

Yer right yer not neutral.

I don't think it really matters regarding the penalty. Wednesday can't hide behind the fact they lost... the penalty mustn't disguise the fact they lost to a team that are currently struggling. If Derby were in the same situation and position last season, Wednesday would have beaten them convincingly.

I did speak to a few Derby friends and they all did agree though that it was a penalty and thought they were lucky not to have conceded it.

You reap what you sow though.

It's a penalty. End of.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 18:44 ----------

I don't think it really matters regarding the penalty. Wednesday can't hide behind the fact they lost... the penalty mustn't disguise the fact they lost to a team that are currently struggling. If Derby were in the same situation and position last season, Wednesday would have beaten them convincingly.

I did speak to a few Derby friends and they all did agree though that it was a penalty and thought they were lucky not to have conceded it.

You reap what you sow though.

We would have beaten them last season would we? Another factual statement eh.

We lost to many teams at the bottom last season. MK Dons. Charlton. Rotherham to name but three. I don't dispute it's a disappointing result but Derby have the upper hand over us somehow at the moment.

Poor result. Better position. We move on.

Edited by senwar

A header at the Bramall Lane end (a cross from the left?) he seemed to get up about three foot higher than anybody else. Watched it from the kop.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 00:26 ----------

The joke at the time was that we signed him to stop him scoring against us.

Yes and then the Owls sold him back to Stoke City !

Edited by stpetre
spell

Brilliant guy on and off the pitch, never afraid to put his head where it hurt. Outside the changing rooms, after the game, he would not leave until all the fans asking for his autograph had is signature. A true gentleman, one of the best .

Brilliant guy on and off the pitch, never afraid to put his head where it hurt. Outside the changing rooms, after the game, he would not leave until all the fans asking for his autograph had is signature. A true gentleman, one of the best .

Yes agree, once got talking to him in Sugg's he was with Sam Ellis who both were 'buying' football boots (imagine that today ?) and was telling about his pre- Stoke City days -John was from Kettering, Northamptonshire.

Edited by stpetre
Add

I as a blade was ganged up on saturday night by 2-1 with the 2 owls fans saying how bigger club they are compared to utd.

they were saying how big they are compared to the blades.

stating they won the top division title.when i asked when they stated 1930 !!! haha

their attendances were bigger.when i questioned them about utd getting roughly averages of 20k this season they stated they got 22k when they were in lg 1 on their own b4 the blades joined them.

upon checking their average in 2010/11 was only 17k

some fans have tinted glasses on dont you think??