Sheffield street art vandalised

The national apostrophe and comma strike is really beginning to bite hard.

oooh!!!:loopy::loopy: look its the grammer police.

That might be your opinion but it is not backed up by statistics.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/2015-07-16#anti-social-behaviour

As you can see - anti-social behaviour (which includes graffiti) has been falling (rather dramatically actually).

If you take out crimes that have been reported to the British Transport Police, then total police recorded crime for anti social behaviour has dropped from just under 4m in 2007/8 to just under 2 million 2014/15.

How many crimes go unrecorded in Sheffield each year I bet its a lot . The reasons are varied anything from lost faith in the Police to an owner of an derelict not knowing that an graffiti artist has left his handy work on his building or in fact it helps them get permission to redevelope that site.

I visit Sheffield a lot for family reasons Iv seen it change one topic of conversation with my relatives is how much more vandalism their is in fact one relative has unfortunately had this happen to them they report it nothing happened the same vandalism happened again and again my relative gave up reporting it. I'm sure they are similar cases in Sheffield as for statics believe them if you want its your right but personally I don't.

I would prefer to believe the statistics than your personal experience yes.

I know somebody working for Sheffield council who deals with anti-social behaviour (such as graffiti) and has said to me how there has been a marked drop in such behaviour over the last 15 years or so. See how personal anecdotes are pretty useless?

Ah yes statistics, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

With statistics you can prove whatever you wish. In fact you can prove both sides of the same argument with exactly the same statistical figures.

Guest sibon

The punctuation police actually. :rolleyes:

The punctuation police actually. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't the words PUNCTUATION POLICE

Have a capital letter on the P's?

Punctuation Police?

No prizes for guessing who was skiving school on this thread

Shouldn't the words PUNCTUATION POLICE

Have a capital letter on the P's?

Punctuation Police?

No prizes for guessing who was skiving school on this thread

:hihi:

Oh dear...

... this vandalism appears to be more widespread than I thought and is now spreading to the English language! :(

It'll soon become an epidemic if we don't all watch our Ps and Qs! ;)

With statistics you can prove whatever you wish. In fact you can prove both sides of the same argument with exactly the same statistical figures.

It it much easier to prove opposing sides by using anecdotes (as we have demonstrated).

What part of the statistics from the ONS do you do not believe? They have the figures to show that anti-social crime has dropped over the last 10 years, presumably you can use those figures to prove the opposite?

Edited by Robin-H

Are you friends with Cyclone by any chance as he likes to say the same thing about anecdotes? :suspect: like I say believe who or what you want makes no difference to me LOL. Back on topic I hope the mural gets repaired its one of the better ones.

There was a mural alongside Abbeydale Picture House that got vandalised last week.

There was a mural alongside Abbeydale Picture House that got vandalised last week.

Yeah. I think it's common knowledge who did that.

Or pretty obvious.

dont you mean, you can kid people to believe, you cannot prove that black is white,

i do of course stand to be corrected, if you can PROVE that anti social behaviour has gone up when statistics show its has gone from 4m to 2m i will say you are correct, by the way saying people are not reporting it, is a belief.

It it much easier to prove opposing sides by using anecdotes (as we have demonstrated).

What part of the statistics from the ONS do you do not believe? They have the figures to show that anti-social crime has dropped over the last 10 years, presumably you can use those figures to prove the opposite?

dont you mean, you can kid people to believe, you cannot prove that black is white,

i do of course stand to be corrected, if you can PROVE that anti social behaviour has gone up when statistics show its has gone from 4m to 2m i will say you are correct, by the way saying people are not reporting it, is a belief.

Any figures provided by ONS only relate to that which has been recorded and also under what category it is recorded. It can be a subjective personal decision, by the person recording a reported incident within the system, under which category an incident is recorded; is it anti-social crime or is it malicious damage? Will an incident resulting in a 'quiet word' be recorded at all? Is there a vested interest in 'adjusting' the category that an incident is recorded under in order to skew figures to produce required results?

Any figures provided by ONS only relate to that which has been recorded and also under what category it is recorded. It can be a subjective personal decision, by the person recording a reported incident within the system, under which category an incident is recorded; is it anti-social crime or is it malicious damage? Will an incident resulting in a 'quiet word' be recorded at all? Is there a vested interest in 'adjusting' the category that an incident is recorded under in order to skew figures to produce required results?

Of course, you have to take certain assumptions when looking at statistics, but without any other evidence it is the best method we have.

Rogets suggested that the Conservative government was the cause of a large increase in vandalism in Sheffield. The statistics would suggest otherwise (there has been a marked drop since 2010).

It is of course possible that for some reason people have stopped reporting such crime when the Conservatives came in, (why would this be?) or that the government have somehow managed to massage the figures of an independent organisation without it being leaked to the press.

You also have to ask yourself why they would do that and not change other more damning figures.. They could change the population figures and suggest that they have managed to get migration to under 100,000, for example.

Both those scenarios seem unlikely to me, as there is no evidence for either scenario (or any other that could explain the statistics not matching the reality). In the absence of such evidence, I think it is more logical to assume the statistics are correct.

The spelling police will be along in a minute to say it's spelt grammar.