UBER drivers deemed to be employees

Ray why don't you join up and see for yourself? If you're still driving your accessible taxi you'd qualify for UberAssist and pocket 85% of your trips

Just a thought.

The tribunal actually held that they are workers rather than employees, which entails slight differences and means they do not have the full protection of being classed as an employee but they do have more rights than if they were self employed.

Sheff87 - Uber have been granted the right of appeal against the ruling, so the decision isn't yet final until the appeals tribunal is heard which is due to take place Sept 2017.

Sheff87 - Uber have been granted the right of appeal against the ruling, so the decision isn't yet final until the appeals tribunal is heard which is due to take place Sept 2017.

Yes that is correct, I just wanted people to be aware of the facts as the title of the thread and some of the posts are misleading by saying drivers are employees.

As it stands

Driver owns his car

Driver puts fuel in his car and maintains it

Driver pays his taxi insurance

To me that makes him self employed

To be employed

I'd guess all those items would be supplied by companies

Which would probably kill firms off

why not wear a uniform they can get tax relief for washing their work wear

Because that £120 a year is really earth shattering.

Have they changed the tax rules then?

I am self employed and do most of my work for 6 or seven employers. However I have colleagues who have been forced to go on PAYE because although self employed, they work exclusively for one employer.

In fact I have heard of people putting in fake invoices (and even paying tax on the income from them) into their tax returns, just so as the revenue don't class them as working exclusively for one employer.

---------- Post added 15-02-2018 at 23:38 ----------

Looks like I was right.

Christa Ackroyd formerly of Look North has been deemed by the revenue to have been an employee of the the BBC and not a self employed sub-contractor.

£400K outstanding in unpaid tax! :o