Carfield cowsheds

Hi Duffems,

Yes I do remember those names and Derek Memmott,s older brother Neil. I think that he was in the year above me at Carfield and that Derek was in the year below. Didn't Derek once have a fairly serious accident sledging down Kent Hill?

Do you remember Eileen Dalton and her friend, Ann Jackson? Even though both of them passed their 11 plus exam they did not want to be separated and elected to go to Carfield instead. Mind you they were always top of the class in every subject, with the notable exception of history - my speciality.

Best wishes.

Dorset

As it's over 11 years since anyone posted on this thread we thought we'd revive it for old time's sake!

Does anyone have any class photos of Carfield Junior/Secondary  Schools from1955-62? 

Are these folks still around:

Johnnie Hill, Philip Joynes, Alfred Gregory, Roger Fawkes, Julian Smith, John Shaw, Charles Stabler, Robert Banks, Ian Wainwright, George Webster, Victor Clay, David Horsefield, John Fowler, David Cooper, Derek Memmott, Roger Collis. We know John Binns is sadly deceased, great mate.

Jacqueline Gregory, Pat Hides, Elizabeth Bowskill, Elaine Smith, Angela Wright, Mary Tyrell, Sylvia Humble, Hazel Walch, Elaine Seddon, Elaine Anderton,  Elizabeth Pike, Joan Fisher, Margaret Coggan, Joan Memmott, Vicky North, Helen Miles, Rita Gillott, Cheryl Renshaw, Jane Wood, Ruth Ackroyd,  Marlene Greatbatch.

Obviously these people  will all be  aged 71/72 with memories like ours, fading fast!

If any names are missing please post on here.

We were both in these classes as childhood sweethearts and married in 1970, we'd love to know if any of the above are still around and, if there are any photos of the classes being Mrs. Lydiard, Mr Davison, Mrs. Jones, Mr Vickers, Mr, Cartwright and Miss. Tindall.

Regards,

Duffems

I've a photograph of class4A taken in September 1957. I'm afraid I don't know how to upload it. Anyone know how it's done?

While I'm on, I have some belated sad news to impart. Barry Toothill, who was a good mate of mine, passed away in early 2014 from mesothelioma. We had recently re-established contact via Friendsreunited after very many years, but the illness struck just afterwards. Barry went on to Carfield Seniors & left in 1961.

I should add that the class 4A referred to above was a junior school class taught by Mr Vasey.

Does the name David Seago ring any bells? David was another pal but he was a year older than me. He jokingly told me that he had passed for "King Teds over the hill" meaning Anns Road. The Seagos emigrated to New Zealand in 1960. Sadly David passed away a couple of years later aged 16.

Edited by fatrajah

Hello I attended Carfield from Anns Road and was in class 4A left at Christmas 1957 to start work on my 15th Birthday in January 1958 I still have all my old school reports from Anns Road & Carfield

BTC43

On 06/08/2020 at 17:29, DUFFEMS said:

As it's over 11 years since anyone posted on this thread we thought we'd revive it for old time's sake!

Does anyone have any class photos of Carfield Junior/Secondary  Schools from1955-62? 

Are these folks still around:

Johnnie Hill, Philip Joynes, Alfred Gregory, Roger Fawkes, Julian Smith, John Shaw, Charles Stabler, Robert Banks, Ian Wainwright, George Webster, Victor Clay, David Horsefield, John Fowler, David Cooper, Derek Memmott, Roger Collis. We know John Binns is sadly deceased, great mate.

Jacqueline Gregory, Pat Hides, Elizabeth Bowskill, Elaine Smith, Angela Wright, Mary Tyrell, Sylvia Humble, Hazel Walch, Elaine Seddon, Elaine Anderton,  Elizabeth Pike, Joan Fisher, Margaret Coggan, Joan Memmott, Vicky North, Helen Miles, Rita Gillott, Cheryl Renshaw, Jane Wood, Ruth Ackroyd,  Marlene Greatbatch.

Obviously these people  will all be  aged 71/72 with memories like ours, fading fast!

If any names are missing please post on here.

We were both in these classes as childhood sweethearts and married in 1970, we'd love to know if any of the above are still around and, if there are any photos of the classes being Mrs. Lydiard, Mr Davison, Mrs. Jones, Mr Vickers, Mr, Cartwright and Miss. Tindall.

Regards,

Duffems

I guess I was in the year earlier to this,  me now being 73, but do remember all the teachers mentioned and some of the pupils mentioned, who were probably younger siblings to those in my year.  I started in the infant school around 1951/52???  Miss Rubery was a teacher I refer well.

I went on to the secondary school, who used the bottom recreational yard. The teachers that stand out were John Simkins and Mr. Phillips the science teacher who taught sciences in the wooden shed in the middle (upper) yard, remember also the prefab dining room in the lower yard. People I remember in my year, Paul Renshaw, David Coldwell,  John Gregory, Geoffrey  Caterer, Pamela Johnson, Margaret Car, Trevor Selwyn, Anne Tindall, Mavis Jenkinson, Roger Plumtree, Neil Oxley, Terry Kitson, Geraldine Dimbaline, a Polish lad called John (can't remember his last name). I'm sure more will come to mind.

I have school photos of me but not any class photos.

My father also went to Carfield.

On 20/02/2009 at 11:27, Dorset Blade said:

I was a pupil at Carfield between 1959 and when it closed in 1962, at which point we were all transferred to Newfield. My memories of the place are very mixed, the standard of education was apalling but fellow pupils were great.

I was a contemporary of Martin Ellis, Peter Cooke, Neil Oxley, David Coldwell, Roger Pluntree, Jackie Marriott and Stuart Abbott. If you are any of the above, my nickname was Mozzo and I would like to hear from you.

As my user name suggests I now live in Dorset but still follow the Blades.

It's taken 11 years to see this, I'm Stuart Abbott. I fondly remember well all the names mentioned and hope all are well. I too went on to Newfield School. I've had fortunate life, realising after school that I had to educate myself...lol..and eventually went into the oil industry in engineering management which took me and my family all over the world. In 1984 I had a project in South Africa and decided to make that our perminant home and bought a farm, which we still have but no longer live there. It's long story, so maybe for another time. My last project was in Malaysia from where I retired in 2014. We decided to retire in the UK and we made several trips here buying a house in Scarborough, where we now live.

I'd love to get in touch but honestly can't remember you by your nickname.

Best regards and hope this finds you well.......Stuart 

Hi Stuart. Had a conversation with your old school pal Paul Renshaw in B&Q in Sheffield. You may be aware that he had a good career with South Yorkshire Police. The last time I saw you was in the Brincliffe Oaks pub in Nether Edge. Could be 40 years ago.

You will be wondering who on earth I am !

29 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Hi Stuart. Had a conversation with your old school pal Paul Renshaw in B&Q in Sheffield. You may be aware that he had a good career with South Yorkshire Police. The last time I saw you was in the Brincliffe Oaks pub in Nether Edge. Could be 40 years ago.

Yes, I'm trying to think back. 40 years ago, we had just sold our engineering business in Oughtibridge and were embarking on a trip to Saudi Arabia. After that in 82/83 we returned to Sheffield for a short time before leaving to South Africa.

I did know that Paul had a successful career with the police but lost contact with him many years ago in fact not long after he got married, so that would be around 63/64. Christine his wife came to my mothers funeral in 77 and that was the last time I saw her. Anyway glad to hear that he's still with us, he was a good friend.

You're not Geoffrey Caterer are you? I'm intrigued, please let me know, you can send me a private email if you wish. We can have a reminisce and catch up.

Thanks for the message......Stuart

On 28/12/2020 at 16:23, Runningman said:

Paul Renshaw had a sister called Cheryl, she was at Carfield with us. Paul married Christine Hides sister to Pat Hides also in Carfield with us. Paul was always destined to be something in authority, he was Head Boy at Newfield apparently, full of self importance in our opinion. Cheryl was different, more "one of the kids".

Duffems

Hi Duffems,

Paul and I were extremely good friends at that time, I never saw him again after leaving school. I was also a good friend of Christine, in fact the three of us were somewhat inseperable for a time. Christine kept in contact with my mother for years. The last time I saw Christine was at my mothers funeral in 1977, I hope she is well. I was pleased to hear of Paul's success in the police force.

If you knew Paul then you must know me and I you.

How time passes, it must be around 56/57 years since we left Newfield.

12 minutes ago, Stuart47 said:

Hi Duffems,

Paul and I were extremely good friends at that time, I never saw him again after leaving school. I was also a good friend of Christine, in fact the three of us were somewhat inseperable for a time. Christine kept in contact with my mother for years. The last time I saw Christine was at my mothers funeral in 1977, I hope she is well. I was pleased to hear of Paul's success in the police force.

If you knew Paul then you must know me and I you.

How time passes, it must be around 56/57 years since we left Newfield.

No, we were in the year with Cheryl Renshaw and Pat Hides which was the year below in age.

I left Carfield Sec. in 1962 to go and work for P.O. Telephones. I have a photo taken of the last class taken just before we left.