Roads closed in city centre

Crazy sheffield road system, there are so many stupid one way systems and restrictions in sheffield.:hihi::hihi:

Crazy sheffield road system, there are so many stupid one way systems and restrictions in sheffield.:hihi::hihi:

Don't I know it! :hihi:

planner 1 should be along shortly , to defend the council

get the bus.

A bus could neither 3 point turn on Pinstone Street, nor slalom this chicane.

You can see the obvious danger, can't you?

Namely cars speeding down that hill in order to get through the lights?

I can only assume the cleanup costs for scraping up dead pedestrians was so great, the council had no choice but to build the traffic island.

Doesn't stop some drivers, particularly taxi's... stand there for 10 mins and you will see at least 2 or 3 either drive straight over the island, (usually later at night) or go left, then swing immediate right...

Doesn't stop some drivers, particularly taxi's... stand there for 10 mins and you will see at least 2 or 3 either drive straight over the island, (usually later at night) or go left, then swing immediate right...

Ah didn't take long for taxis to get dragged into it.

If I picked up a customer up in the layby where the Grosvenor is/was, and they say 'station please!', if I took them down Charter Row, then follow the system, they'll tweet or complain on social media that we're taking them the long way around. And I see the same things in here.

planner 1 should be along shortly , to defend the council

I think the road is closed during the demolition of the Grosvener hotel block . you think they should keep it open?

Anyone know what on Earth's happening to the roads in the centre of town? Half of them seem to be closed off at the moment. I'm talking mainly about the area behind Cole Brothers. As a disabled driver with a disabled passenger it's a nightmare.

Can someone please tell me how to drive from Furnival Gate to Furnival Street, a matter of a few metres, but seemingly impossible at the moment?

And don't even think about trying it Sunday morning. Sheffield 10k.

When the lights are green to turn left down the hill from Furnival Gate, the Pinstone Street downward traffic is also green.

If someone is wiping out pedestrians doing this, then the pedestrians are crossing on red man.

I suspect this may be the case and that the pedestrians are indeed crossing on red, but . . . as there's no traffic coming down Pinstone Street when the pedestrians start to cross, then I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for the pedestrians to cross the road in the expectation that no car drivers will slalom the traffic island and wipe them out.

The sat-nav - if you already where Anna was on Furnival Gate heading downwards - is too late. If out of date it will tell you a route that is no longer possible, and if it's up to date, will send you into this loop described in this OP. (and by me on another thread a couple of weeks ago when I first fell into it)

You'd gone too far by this point Anna. Other than Joker's U-turn or the slalom, you're stuck in this ridiculous system.

I once followed that road system through to see if how easily (difficult. . .) it would be to get from Furnival Gate to Furnival Street, and it is impossible. You can either continue all the way past Barkers Pool, to Leopold Square then do a 180 degree turn at this mini roundabout and go back through the bus / taxi gate (not recommended unless you are driving a bus or a taxi) or you end up on West Street heading back out of the city centre.

Alternatively, follow Pinstone Street from Furnival Gate and loop back behind Cole Brothers / John Lewis to Cross Burgess Street -> Wellington Street -> Charter Square -> Charter Row -> Moore Street . . then join the car park that is the Hanover Way / St Mary's Gate roundabout.

You can see the obvious danger, can't you?

Namely cars speeding down that hill in order to get through the lights?

I can only assume the cleanup costs for scraping up dead pedestrians was so great, the council had no choice but to build the traffic island.

I remember seeing someone get knocked down on that crossing but it was because the dozy melon crossed the road on red instead of green giving the driver no chance to stop.If impatient pedestrians waited they may not get knocked down so much.That is the problem with modern britain,impatient pedestrians and drivers and cyclists who get injured and killed through their own stupidity and spoiling it for everybody who does abide by the rules.It so annoys me at pelican crossings when i see adults taking children over the crossing on red instead of showing an example.I find myself being the only one still stood there sometimes when the crossing turns to green.:rant:

I remember seeing someone get knocked down on that crossing but it was because the dozy melon crossed the road on red instead of green giving the driver no chance to stop.If impatient pedestrians waited they may not get knocked down so much.That is the problem with modern britain,impatient pedestrians and drivers and cyclists who get injured and killed through their own stupidity and spoiling it for everybody who does abide by the rules.

I agree it's frustrating for motorists, but unfortunately impatient and dozy pedestrians are a package deal that comes with sharing the city centre with them. Speaking of which, I nearly wiped some idiot out recently. He's cycling along the pavement, he slows down at the traffic lights, sees the man is red . . . and starts to cycle across the road in front of me, forcing me to perform an emergency stop. Oh, did I blast my horn at his intransigence :hihi:

Anyway, the point I'm making if that if motorists are regularly wiping out pedestrians in those situations, then in the short-term the road will be closed off while the pedestrians are tended to / scraped-up off the road and in the long-term the city council will block off those roads to vehicle access. So it's in the interests of motorists not to wipe out pedestrians.

It so annoys me at pelican crossings when i see adults taking children over the crossing on red instead of showing an example.I find myself being the only one still stood there sometimes when the crossing turns to green.:rant:

More fool you then :)

I'm a pedestrian too, and since jay-walking isn't a crime in the UK, then if no vehicles are passing, I will cross the road if it's safe to do so. I will only wait at the lights if a parent is waiting with their child, since it's important the parent instils in their child good road-safety, and I don't want to undermine that.

If the parents can't be bothered to wait for the green man, then I don't see why I should either.