The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

At the end of the day the people of Richmond, have elected a one trick pony to replace a pony, who doesn't seem to be any good at performing any tricks.

It was either that, or backing the same horse that failed last time, and re-electing the same person would result in nothing, except a bill to the tax payer for the by-election.

Reducing the Tory majority in Parliament is a big thing, potentially.

'The research, conducted by BMG Research, found the main swell of support came from people who did not vote in the referendum over the summer. Of those who didn't vote in June, 46 per cent said they now would in order to back EU membership, while 27 per cent said they would in order to vote to leave.'

I take it the remaining 27% still couldn't be bothered to give an opinion..

The problem with the poll is that it suggests 93+% turnout with 73% of those who didn't vote last time doing so in a rerun. This is obviously never going to happen and perhaps explains why the polls were so wrong in the run up to the referendum i.e. people saying they will vote to stay when they aren't actually that bothered and don't turn out.

I'd also point out that the Lib Dems tried to make the Richmond by-election a vote about Brexit and turnout was 53.6%. This is significantly lower than turnout at the general election and referendum and doesn't support the notion that people are so worried about leaving the EU that we'd see a record breaking turnout to reverse the decision if the referendum was rerun.

I think remainers, like the Independent, only want to see what they want to see. This sentence from the article sums this up... "Following the referendum result, reports emerged of people who claimed to regret casting their ballot for Brexit, who came to be known as 'Bregret' voters." Do they not think there are also people who voted to stay that regret their decision? They have lost their objectivity and seem to be desperately clutching at straws as they refuse to move on. It is most enjoyable.

No. But you can say they shouldn't implement their policies with complete disregard for the rest of the population who don't share their views.

As far as brexit goes, the real significance of this result is how it will affect the government's negotiating aims. Lets face it, they only put a referendum in their 2015 manifesto because they were worried about losing votes to UKIP. They expected another hung parliament and to be able to rely on the Lib Dems to prevent them from having to hold a referendum. This and the Witney by-elections show the Tories now face losing a big chunk of votes to the Lib Dems instead. It makes a hard brexit less likely because the Tories are working in the interests of the Tory party.

It is odd then that every opinion poll in the last 6 months, and it is about 30 of them, has shown the tories with an average of 10 points lead over labour and the libdems barely above where they were at the general election as labour fades from view.

The polls are currently predicting that the tories would have a majority of 130 if the election were held today, so they must be really bricking it when the libdems win a by-election where the tories didn't field a candidate.

It was either that, or backing the same horse that failed last time, and re-electing the same person would result in nothing, except a bill to the tax payer for the by-election.

Reducing the Tory majority in Parliament is a big thing, potentially.

I agree the whole by election was a waste of money for the taxpayer.

The horse in question failed not to get his own way, regarding the issue about Heathrow airport, which happens when decisions are made by others. When he was elected, it was because he was a member of the Conservative party and he should have stayed in Parliament and acted in the party interests, rather than resigning for egomaniac reasons.

Do they not think there are also people who voted to stay that regret their decision?

Why would anyone who voted remain when they really wanted leave regret it? Leave won anyway, so there is nothing to regret. I know a few people who voted leave and now regret it, but there is something to regret there.

Why would anyone who voted remain when they really wanted leave regret it? Leave won anyway, so there is nothing to regret. I know a few people who voted leave and now regret it, but there is something to regret there.

Why is there something to regret about voting for the UK to leave the EU ?

Because it basically means the end of the UK as we know it, it removes the UK from the world stage and consigns England and Wales (after Scotland and NI have left the UK) to being a part player, it removes any influence the UK had from Europe without any gains (once we submit to free movement, and continue paying to the EU etc).

On the other hand, the benefits are so vast ... like errrr, errr

Oh yes, we can have bendy bananas without any interference from Brussels.

Because it basically means the end of the UK as we know it, it removes the UK from the world stage and consigns England and Wales (after Scotland and NI have left the UK) to being a part player, it removes any influence the UK had from Europe without any gains (once we submit to free movement, and continue paying to the EU etc).

On the other hand, the benefits are so vast ... like errrr, errr

Oh yes, we can have bendy bananas without any interference from Brussels.

Oh dear, I guess you voted to remain in the EU then :)

Because people on this forum are wasting their time posting about it; when nothing has happened yet.

We are still in the EU and nothing has changed, except for higher borrowing, a fall in sterling and lower growth.

It is odd then that every opinion poll in the last 6 months, and it is about 30 of them, has shown the tories with an average of 10 points lead over labour and the libdems barely above where they were at the general election as labour fades from view.

The polls are currently predicting that the tories would have a majority of 130 if the election were held today, so they must be really bricking it when the libdems win a by-election where the tories didn't field a candidate.

Remind me: how accurate have Opinion Polls been in this year's votes (Referendum, USA Presidency, etc)?

Because people on this forum are wasting their time posting about it; when nothing has happened yet.

We are still in the EU and nothing has changed, except for higher borrowing, a fall in sterling and lower growth.

You forgot to mention that shares have reached a record high, the England Rugby Union team have equalled their 14 wins on the trot record achievement and the Wales football team made the semi finals in Euro 16, since the referendum result.

Remind me: how accurate have Opinion Polls been in this year's votes (Referendum, USA Presidency, etc)?

Hey if you want to bet 5 grand on them all being wrong and Corbyn being our next prime minister you go ahead! I think you could risk 5 grand and come out with a mill.