Who will go up with the blades?

No way Blades will go up, other teams will soon get wise to their long-ball game and pass them off the park. They'll be top 10 at best.

I'm sure you're right

---------- Post added 24-10-2016 at 20:35 ----------

After Saturdays game both managers were extolling the virtues of the other team.It wouldn't be a major surprise to see them finish 1st and 2nd, just like 1982 ,which was the last time the Blades managed to win owt:(

You should realise that The Owls are far and away the most successful club in Sheffield.

I'd rather not drop to those depths to achieve it ;)

Maybe not but it still stands as a fact no Sheffield club has done it any higher in living memory.

Maybe not but it still stands as a fact no Sheffield club has done it any higher in living memory.

Yes, got to admit, 4th division champions, its some achievement!

Yes, got to admit, 4th division champions, its some achievement!

The only league title in this city in living memory maybe we will see one in a higher league in our lifetime but not as yet.

The only league title in this city in living memory maybe we will see one in a higher league in our lifetime but not as yet.

1958/59,I suspect there are quite a few what remember this(Al):hihi:.

Still no excuse though why its been such a gap,could be because its easier to go up now.

Still no excuse though why its been such a gap,could be because its easier to go up now.

How many on here remember it I wonder Samsong probably and maybe a handful.

As for Byeo....No disrespect mate but you always seem to agree with the other half and none of what you say regarding performances and style of play ever tallies with the general consensus of Blades fans. Whilst we are all entitled to comment on performances...It does help if you go home and away to watch the team as opposed to relying on 5 mins worth of highlights.

Sorry, I really was just trying to humour him, with a comment like he made I thought just agreeing with the rubbish he was spouting would kinda give it away rather than biting at their attempt. Next time I'll make sure to put a ;) or ... at the end. Actually, I've gone back and added it :)

As for you commenting on my home and away visits, I usually sit on the South Stand in G or H block, always pick and choose my games, I really shouldn't have to justify myself to someone who I don't know but thought I best as you've taken the time to respond. Feel free to make yourself known if you sit in the SS and we can talk about the game if you wish or I'll buy you a chip butty from Man Frydays before KO.

Edited by byeo

We've had quite a few promotions between us but titles have evaded us.

United have even managed a promotion to the premier league.

Too true UK, but i had only been an Owl a few weeks before i had to suffer relegation and then as you say we returned the following season and i was able to enjoy the next few years.:hihi:

:hihi::hihi:

Funniest thing I had heard all year!

We have some of the highest possession and pass completion rates in the league....

Opposition managers have praised us for our passing ability....

Midfielders have been bagging assists as well as bagging nominations for POTM. ...

In fact go to Sheffutube and watch the montly goal compilation videos and then tell me how many of those goals were the result of long ball football?....Talk about speaking rubbish!.....Take it your a Wednesday fan then ? :hihi::hihi:

Are you seriously suggesting that the likes of Bassett and Warnock were renowned for quality football? Sheffield United have been known as a long ball team for 30 years, it's what their fans want to watch so they're not going to change now are they? The only manager they got who tried to play a passing game was David Weir and he was hounded out after a few months in the job.

Mention Sheffield United to any football fan and the first thing they'll say is "long ball team".

Are you seriously suggesting that the likes of Bassett and Warnock were renowned for quality football? Sheffield United have been known as a long ball team for 30 years, it's what their fans want to watch so they're not going to change now are they? The only manager they got who tried to play a passing game was David Weir and he was hounded out after a few months in the job.

Mention Sheffield United to any football fan and the first thing they'll say is "long ball team".

Clough didn't play the long ball game.

Loads of teams have used it in the past most successful was Arsenal, my first memory of it was Wednesday with a lone Curran up front and didn't do it with a player called Wylde or something similar?, I may be wrong with the name but the long ball was there.

Perhaps people who actually go and see it have a more accurate opinion.

Much has been written about the long ball and pressing style of soccer that Jack Charlton employed during his time as manager of the Republic of Ireland. Members of the media, most notably TV soccer pundits Eamon Dunphy and Johnny Giles, were particularly critical of Charlton's football philosophy. They have always maintained that given the talent within the Irish squad during his tenure as manager of Ireland he did not need to use the long ball tactics that he invariably employed.

Edited by panchobar

Clough didn't play the long ball game.

Neither did Wier, the football we played under him was decent actually, the issue was we took about 20 passes to go past the half way line.