HALLAM FM...advice on how to run a radio station

to be honest m8 i think u need to wind your neck in if u dont like the radio station - hallam fm u dont have to listen at the end of the day its everyone to there own and like i say if u dont like it u dont have to listen, think about what u post before u post it ;)

(this isnt a dig at u)

i no every 1 cant be happy all the time hence a dial on the radio but the gripe was more at radio 1 than hallam if you red rite,hallam do play a varied selection of music for a start instead of 1 type.i take it u work for hallam since the reply was vemonous lol

If you think Hallam FM are bad, try listening to one of the stations owned by what used to be GWR, such as Trent FM in Nottingham. Not only does every station in the group play the same records at the same time, and run the same competitions, but after 7pm they share the same programmes too.

At least Emap haven't really gone down that route (yet).

I have heard that Emap are to turn Magic into a 'National' station with only the 0600 to 1000 being produced at local station level plus maybe a local news bulletin during the daytime hours.

DJ's used to have personalities.....what happened? They all sound the same....

the best period for Hallam FM was without a doubt the early 1980's before they were taken over by that horrible EMAP mob....the presenters were fun, the sound was spot-on mix of chart and oldies, and they used to love up to their old maxim "Its nice to have a radio station as a friend". The station was totally original and sounded so different to any other ILR station, they all had a unique feel and sound.

Why did they change it? Its the same disaster that befell Radio 1 when in the mid 90;'s they tried to revamp it to a 'modern audience' and sack all the old DJ's. History has revealed that station never got back its full audience figures again......

I have heard that Emap are to turn Magic into a 'National' station with only the 0600 to 1000 being produced at local station level plus maybe a local news bulletin during the daytime hours.

Yes, but Magic suffers from poor audiance figures as people don't really listen to music on AM as much, now there are stations like Real Radio on FM.

Emap are the last of the big groups to do this to their AM stations - Classic Gold and Capital Gold have been national stations for years. And there's a lot less networking on Emap's FM stations than on many of the other groups.

core i havent listened to hallam since nick stopped doing the nick at night talk show. i never really liked the music on there as its all the same type, not enough variety. i much prefer real radio for the music, i can get it all over yorkshire but while i'm in doncaster i like there local radio trax fm (also on digital), it dosent have the big money competitions but then i've never been interested in them anyway, i just listen to radio for music.

DJ's used to have personalities.....what happened? They all sound the same....

im forced to listen to hallam all day at work and i really cant tell when "big john" ends and "daryl dennem" starts. its all the same old same old. listen tomorow and i guarantee you will hear will young, kelly clarkeson, queen and robbie twice before lunch. then the same songs before home time.

I sometimes fall asleep with Hallam FM on, then get up at 5am and hear the same songs that I heard while I was falling asleep!

When I'm on nights they often mess the 1am news up, either news over a song, or two minutes listening to the news backing music but with no news!

You don't need RDS or DAB to find Hallam, if the Scissor Sisters are on, you've found Hallam!

I sometimes fall asleep with Hallam FM on, then get up and hear the same songs that I heard while I was falling asleep!

Thats what i said earlier :thumbsup:

they often mess the 1am news up

I've noticed that aswell!! They'll start a song then it'll just cut off seconds after starting and the news will come on. :hihi: