What could be wrong with my car?

How do you think garages usually check for a slipping clutch?

Road test mate, and if its really bad you wouldn't even need to take it out of the yard. A fully skilled mechanic could spot a slipping clutch like a fart in a space suit, and wouldn't mess about like that. ;)

Its an 08 Meganne Scenic btw.

That's the problem :)

Road test mate, and if its really bad you wouldn't even need to take it out of the yard. A fully skilled mechanic could spot a slipping clutch like a fart in a space suit, and wouldn't mess about like that. ;)

I don't think the O/P's gonna want to splash down out on a baked bean eating rocket engineer for an '08 Meganne Scenic to be honest.

I never realised that things like the Space Shuttle had clutches in the first place as this implies rockets have gears. New one on me. :huh:

A clutch in the early stages of wear often won't show any symptoms under usual driving conditions. If somebody working for me wasted time and money on a road test where a static clutch test takes only a few seconds, I'd be having words with them in the office.

Cylinder misfire? Spark plugs, ignition coils, etc.

This may very well sound stupid, but have you looked under the bonnet for anything visual? Something very similar happened to my car one afternoon and I received a lovely on dash message saying 'Engine Malfunction' there was no power, revving the balls off it to get it moving. I dumped it up a side street and looked under the bonnet and the air induction pipe had come off.

I assume the car sensed it and restricted the engine to stop further damage, anyway I was able to slide it back on and tighten the hose clip when I got to work. It sounds daft and obvious but sometimes a quick look works wonders.

A clutch in the early stages of wear often won't show any symptoms only a few seconds.

Really? Not even a heavy pedal feeling or high/er biting point? You can get a false positive doing it you're way as you could even somewhat slip a brand new clutch.

If somebody working for me wasted time and money on a road test where a static clutch test takes only a few seconds, I'd be having words with them in the office.

If I needed to road test a car for diagnostic purposes and was dragged into the office, I would tell you to stick you're job.

Anyhow, i'm not getting into any major discussion with you regarding car problems with you're substandard knowledge, I fell for that once on a car geometry thread. :roll: Leave you too it.

I don't think the O/P's gonna want to splash down out on a baked bean eating rocket engineer for an '08 Meganne Scenic to be honest.

Do they not come with one as standard? :hihi:

Hope you get it sorted Alan.

if the engine is revving but you're not getting any power, the problem lies in the drivetrain. The added symptom of a burning smell under load suggests it may well be the clutch.

Try this:

Handbrake on, engine running, clutch dipped - put it in 5th gear (keep clutch dipped) and reg the engine. Lift the clutch pedal quickly (while still revving) and it should stall the engine. If it slows but doesn't stall then your clutch is slipping.

agree hand brake on any gear other than first, second or reverse, start engine, lift clutch slowly it should stall. If not indicates worn clutch.

Try this:

Handbrake on, engine running, clutch dipped - put it in 5th gear (keep clutch dipped) and reg the engine. Lift the clutch pedal quickly (while still revving) and it should stall the engine. If it slows but doesn't stall then your clutch is slipping.

agree hand brake on any gear other than first, second or reverse, start engine, lift clutch slowly it should stall. If not indicates worn clutch.

Just tried this. It stalled, but not abruptly and with a bump as you'd expect, it stalled softly over about 2 and a half seconds.

---------- Post added 20-10-2016 at 21:16 ----------

That's the problem :)

Ha ha. Actually its been a good workhorse for me and my family for the past six years or so. Be sad to see it go really.

Just tried this. It stalled, but not abruptly and with a bump as you'd expect, it stalled softly over about 2 and a half seconds.

---------- Post added 20-10-2016 at 21:16 ----------

Ha ha. Actually its been a good workhorse for me and my family for the past six years or so. Be sad to see it go really.

i would say that the clutch is on the way out ( sorry)

i would say that the clutch is on the way out ( sorry)

I'm not going to bother getting it sorted, no doubt it will cost a bomb, and its not worth it for an 08 Meganne Scenic. Its MOT is due on the 28th so I'm glad this has happened before I wasted my money on that!

08 Scenic still has value - if it's served you well up to now, sometimes it's better the devil you know..

Petrol or Diesel?

No check emissions message on dash?

A stuck brake caliper could cause the problems you describe. I assume it's got an electric handbrake and there's no warnings from that?

If it were me i'd rule that out first by jacking up each wheel and making sure they spin freely.