Gardeners Rest - Neepsend

No, but then again the business is separate from the building, which remains an asset that can be sold. The Gardeners is a profitable going concern, unlike some of the pubs that have undergone the process (they've had to be re-opened), so its very unlikely that, as you say, the wheels would drop off.

So you could be OK as long the venture suceeds. But not if someone runs off with the till. So it's hardly safe "like an ISA".

I think I would prefer to buy the premises myself and lease them to whoever wants to run the pub.

Edited by lizmachin

What are the guarantees that you can buy the pub and it won't be sold to a higher bidder?

And what are the guarantees on peoples money they invest, or is it loaned to the venture with no guarantees?

Is the present landlord the freeholders or does the building belong to an pubco? If the latter an pubco can make life arkward remember the ' Blake ' and Enterprise Inns saga and what it took to get that pub reopened. Before I would invest any money ownership needs to be established do the present owners have already an buyer will they sell the pub to you?

I would also need to see an detailed business plan regardless of the community based idea for the pub it still needs to make money to pay for bills, staff, maintenance, stock which you will need to negotiated with an supplier after the old owners call it a day.

What if any plans are for the area were the pub is I know at present the pub is a bit out of the way?

I would think long and hard before pouring any money into any pub given the current state of the trade its a lot of money to lose and theirs no guarantees .

I think it's so that after three years, when your allowed to get your money back, they don't suddenly have to find a large amount like 50k. It would only take two investments that big to take them under.

That doesnt make sense though. If they dont want large investors simply put a max investment in.

That doesnt make sense though. If they dont want large investors simply put a max investment in.

I think there is, it says the limit you can invest is 20k

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 19:35 ----------

Is the present landlord the freeholders or does the building belong to an pubco? If the latter an pubco can make life arkward remember the ' Blake ' and Enterprise Inns saga and what it took to get that pub reopened. Before I would invest any money ownership needs to be established do the present owners have already an buyer will they sell the pub to you?

I would also need to see an detailed business plan regardless of the community based idea for the pub it still needs to make money to pay for bills, staff, maintenance, stock which you will need to negotiated with an supplier after the old owners call it a day.

What if any plans are for the area were the pub is I know at present the pub is a bit out of the way?

I would think long and hard before pouring any money into any pub given the current state of the trade its a lot of money to lose and theirs no guarantees .

Their business plan is on the crowdfunding website. The pub is a freehold and is owned by the current landlord and lady. Take a look!

Iv looked at the video and site I get the idea. Have you thought about asking small local breweries in Sheffield or Chesterfield to invest in a shares in return by selling their products in the pub?

Like for example Peak Ales invest whatever they think its worth in exchange for giving them another outlet for their beers in Sheffield.

To reach the target price is going to require more than just private investment you need support from other local business.

I might be interested but I'm going to ask a few people in the trade for advice first.

this is a brilliant idea.

My thoughts exactly.

Looking to have a punt.

My thoughts exactly.

Looking to have a punt.

I'll keep reading this thread see who posts and what they say.

Yeah, I'm no big player, I could only stretch to £100 (which is 20 hours work at the moment), and in these small stakes terms, it's obviously not a financial investment. I prefer the idea of being a part of keeping the place open.

I wonder if it could reach 100k in such a short space of time without being in the news?

Since it's not a financial investment, it would take real regulars to stump up a lot of money - without the above.

(saying that the 30% on the income tax backdated might get a few quid in)

Guest makapaka

I think this is one of those things that if you are a regular in there you've got a chance to get involved and keep it going how you like it.

I don't think it's something to get all hung up about as an investment opportunity.

I'm not interested or involved personally but have met Eddie and he's a nice bloke.

Let's hope they get something sorted and not let the thread get bogged down in arguments.

I guess because some people have more money available. Why not help out a good cause by parking your money somewhere, particularly if you get the money back with a little bit of interest, and its a safe bet. In practice its like an ISA!

No, it's really not is it. You could lose it all potentially. It's not a regulated bank account covered by the FSCS scheme and saying that it's "like" a bank account is probably skating the edge of being illegal investment advice.

Having a quick look on the fundraising page I can also not see any guaranteed return, which is also unlike any kind of bank account I've ever seen, all of which publish an interest rate, even if it's zero.

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 22:19 ----------

I think it's so that after three years, when your allowed to get your money back, they don't suddenly have to find a large amount like 50k. It would only take two investments that big to take them under.

Restricting the voting rights doesn't somehow stop them having to repay large investors who withdraw though...

I don't really look at it as an investment opportunity.

More a case of supporting a good cause and if you get your money back or even make some its a bonus.