Maybe a Roman fort

I am sure I have found a Roman fort but how do I prove it?

Guest makapaka

Where do you believe you've found it and what does it look like?

Well documented archaeology.

By revealing some details? Then Roman archaeologists could examine your claim.

The possibility of establishing on Sheffield Forum that you have found a Roman Fort previously unknown to archaeology is exactly zero.

Why on earth would the Romans build a fort in Sheffield, to keep out the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire hordes :hihi:

Why on earth would the Romans build a fort in Sheffield, to keep out the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire hordes :hihi:

Wincobank Hill was a fort.

Wincobank Hill was a fort.

But not a Roman Fort, it is said to be Iron Age.

"Wincobank (hill fort) is located in Sheffield Wincobank (hill fort)

Wincobank shown in Sheffield

Site of Wincobank fort.

Wincobank (grid reference SK377910) is an Iron Age hill fort in the district of Sheffield, England of the same name. The fort stands on the summit of a steep hill above the River Don, it is oval in shape and covers about 10,000 square metres (108,000 ft²), surrounded by a ditch that was originally 1.5–2 m deep and a bank consisting of a rubble core with stone facings held together with timbers. The bank is vitrified, indicating that it was subjected to intense heat at some time in the past—whether this was done purposely by the builders or through accident or attack is unknown. Material taken from a drainage ditch dug through the north east rampart of the fort in 1979 was radiocarbon dated to c. 500 BC.[1]

Early historians thought the fort to be Roman in origin. However, it is now thought to have been constructed by the Celtic Brigantes tribe, with some historians suggesting that this fort was part of a 1st-century defensive line built by the Brigantes attempting to halt the northward advance of the Roman legions. This defensive line is suggested to have included hill forts at Carl Wark and Scholes Coppice, and an ancient dyke called Roman Rig that runs from the fort northeast to Mexborough.

The hill was first recorded in 1442 as Wincowe and appears to be derived from Wineca, an Anglo-Saxon personal name and the Old Norse word haugr meaning a mound or hill and so meaning Wineca’s hill.[2]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wincobank_(hill_fort)

It seems the Wikipedia link is a little temperamental but give it a try another link is the council site.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/trees--woodlands/woodland-sites-and-projects/wincobank-hill.html

Where do you believe you've found it and what does it look like?

Found it on Google maps satelite pictures. It is 6 to 7 miles from the Roman fort at templeborough. It is aligned with roads that are straight enough to be former Roman roads and with a previous Roman road that was found at brinsworth and it shows as marks in fields. Could be totally wrong of course.

Found it on Google maps satelite pictures. It is 6 to 7 miles from the Roman fort at templeborough. It is aligned with roads that are straight enough to be former Roman roads and with a previous Roman road that was found at brinsworth and it shows as marks in fields. Could be totally wrong of course.

Can you show us a picture or screenshot or the aerial photos?

The dig a Whirlow Hall this summer revealed a Roman compound, a rectangular enclosure about 70m square, probably a farm with some fortification:

http://archaeologicalresearchservices.com/news/252-whirlow-hall-farm-2016-excavations

Can you show us a picture or screenshot or the aerial photos?

The dig a Whirlow Hall this summer revealed a Roman compound, a rectangular enclosure about 70m square, probably a farm with some fortification:

http://archaeologicalresearchservices.com/news/252-whirlow-hall-farm-2016-excavations

Having problems pasting a link on my tablet, but search for morthen on Maps. There is a rectangular field with marks of what look like long buildings. Just above it in the field with the pylons is a large rectangular earthwork. This is in direct alignment with the Brampton straight mile and a Roman track uncovered at brinsworth also heads to the same spot. It is approximately 7 Roman miles from templeborough.

I had a look at the place you mention , it struck me that i did a lot of shooting on the farm that is on the other side of the motorway and i can remember the farmer saying something about there being a Roman villa site on his land but he would never tell me where it was .