Best way to ripen tomatoes

ive got quite a few green tomatoes . has anyone got ideas on ripening them ? does wrapping them in newspaper and putting them in an airing cupboard work or is that an old wives / gardeners tale ?

Guest sibon

If they are still on the plant, try leaving them there until they ripen. I'd stop watering the plants now too. If not, just put them in a bowl in a sunny place, some will ripen, some won't.

ive got quite a few green tomatoes . has anyone got ideas on ripening them ? does wrapping them in newspaper and putting them in an airing cupboard work or is that an old wives / gardeners tale ?

Put them in a paper bag or old shoe box,with a ripe banana, which releases ethylene gasses that help to ripen the tomatoes.

It does work,at least it does for me.

On a related note, is it now too late to hope for them to ripen on the plant?

What with one thing and another (mainly slugs) I was very late starting with my tomatoes.

The big vines have large green tomatoes on them - any chance they're going to ripen now it's October?

The little bush plants are still flowering but have a few small tomatoes just appearing, I was thinking of bringing them indoors - anyone tried this?

I suppose I've got nothing to lose by trying it!

Delia Smith's green tomato chutney is also pretty good, by the way :)

Put them in a paper bag or old shoe box,with a ripe banana, which releases ethylene gasses that help to ripen the tomatoes.

It does work,at least it does for me.

Yes, this is correct.

Its too cold for plants to survive much longer in an unheated greenhouse in this area. The tomatoes will start to die if left on the plant.

my outdoor tom plants got battered in the winds a couple of weeks ago and had lots of green toms on them - as the plants were so badly damaged I had to pick them. had them all on a tray on the windowsill and they are slowly ripening!! had about 20 ripen over the last couple of weeks. only had to chuck one away that had a tiny slug hidden on it.

still got a couple of dozen small to medium sized toms to ripen :)

thanks for the replies. im trying the banana in a shoebox routine . I thought about the green chutney but with me not being a foodie , I thought buying all the ingredients and messing about for a few jars of chutney would be a waste of time