Can you use ear-drops after expiry date?

Hi all

Is it ok to use them, say, about 3 or weeks after the expiry date? - I know I've read they tend to lose their potency and sometimes can get contaminated with bacteria, but in all honesty how likely is that to happen?

Is there any major harm in using them, as mentioned, about 14 days after they've expired?

Thanks.

Thanks. And re. specifically ear-drops; I know the above link mentioned there may be problems after the expiry date, but has anyone used them without any consequences?

not sure other peoples experiences really helps you as they may have kept their drops in better or worse conditions than you have.

as it's you ears your risking then really its up to you

Experiences of other people may not always help, cause there's so many factors involved...

same drops?

same dosage?

same strength?

same production run?

same factory?

not least, everyone is different, and handles/reacts to things differently...

Hi all

Is it ok to use them, say, about 3 or weeks after the expiry date? - I know I've read they tend to lose their potency and sometimes can get contaminated with bacteria, but in all honesty how likely is that to happen?

Is there any major harm in using them, as mentioned, about 14 days after they've expired?

Thanks.

Providing the ear drops have been stored in a sensible place, then I can't envisage any harm caused by using the ear drops. The ear drops will be no less effective now, then if you had used them a month ago.

I hope your ears get better soon.

Are they prescription medicated ones or just over the counter normal ones?

The normal ones are usually just a mix of oils and stuff to break down wax, they are less likely to 'go off'.

Medicated ones with antibiotics in and stuff will be more sensitive to going off.

any doubts..just replace them.not worth risking damage to ears,for sake of a bob or two.

What are these ear drops?

If they're for loosening and removing wax then use olive oil. You can buy an empty dropper bottle for this purpose from the chemists.

Hi guys and thanks for the responses so far. The ear drops in question are indeed olive oil. I've been using them for about 5 days now and sadly there's been no improvement. I've also realised they're within the expiry date so no problem there.

And to update: I went to the GP's today and he had a look at both ears. The 'bad' ear had a fairly large amount of wax and that's probably what's causing the problem 99.9%.

Incidentally the 'good' ear also had a high amount of wax but that one seems fine. But I'll admit, I have to sometimes create a small vacuum (by gently pumping the outside) in that ear to release some extra air (or air pressure). Maybe that's going the way of the other one..

I've been told the next step is to make an appointment for ear syringing for both ears. The thing is, I don't want to put olive drops in the 'good' ear because having done that to the 'bad' one, it made it even more muffled. I don't want to end up with both ears knackered until I see the nurse in question.

Just want to add: I've been told to ring back tomorrow to make an appointment. Whilst I was at the surgery, the receptionist couldn't find a day to book me in. She went thorough this month; nothing... and then next month; still nothing :shocked:

I really hope there's an opening available in the next few days since work was pretty much a nightmare. I need to get this sorted out asap since I could hardly hear what anyone was saying and avoided pretty much everybody for that reason.

If the only appointment is a few weeks away, could I safely do the ear syringe myself? - With the right equipment? - Or would that be too risky?

(sorry for the long post)

Hi guys and thanks for the responses so far. The ear drops in question are indeed olive oil. I've been using them for about 5 days now and sadly there's been no improvement. I've also realised they're within the expiry date so no problem there.

And to update: I went to the GP's today and he had a look at both ears. The 'bad' ear had a fairly large amount of wax and that's probably what's causing the problem 99.9%.

Incidentally the 'good' ear also had a high amount of wax but that one seems fine. But I'll admit, I have to sometimes create a small vacuum (by gently pumping the outside) in that ear to release some extra air (or air pressure). Maybe that's going the way of the other one..

I've been told the next step is to make an appointment for ear syringing for both ears. The thing is, I don't want to put olive drops in the 'good' ear because having done that to the 'bad' one, it made it even more muffled. I don't want to end up with both ears knackered until I see the nurse in question.

Just want to add: I've been told to ring back tomorrow to make an appointment. Whilst I was at the surgery, the receptionist couldn't find a day to book me in. She went thorough this month; nothing... and then next month; still nothing :shocked:

I really hope there's an opening available in the next few days since work was pretty much a nightmare. I need to get this sorted out asap since I could hardly hear what anyone was saying and avoided pretty much everybody for that reason.

If the only appointment is a few weeks away, could I safely do the ear syringe myself? - With the right equipment? - Or would that be too risky?

(sorry for the long post)

Go to your quack and ask him to remove the wax with an ear wax spoon (Jobson Horn). I have mine done twice a year, no drops, no syringing. Here is a link to it been done, a couple of minutes per ear. Job done, hearing perfect again.

Angel1

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

I have had my ears syringed in the past and I was told to use drops by my doctor to soften the wax for a week before syringing because it was dry and hard. So not sure if an ear wax spoon would be suitable as I did try to remove it myself with a cotton wool bud and it was painful.

However Angelfire could be right, as I was not aware of this method and of course the texture of the wax in your ears could be soft already.