Worst gig at sheffield city hall!!!

The only band I've walked out on were Van Der Graf Generator. Free form rock/jazz is not my favourite

On 21/02/2019 at 23:01, Ontarian1981 said:

Ten Years After were one of the standout acts at the orignal Woodstock Festval.They were fronted by the late Alvin Lee,an outstanding rock guitarist and originally from Nottingham and Mansfield.

True. Unfortunately as gifted as Alvin was he always attempted to break the land speed record for playing the fastest licks.

It was frantic and often unlistenable even if  it was technically sound.

As always, I have to add, in my opinion 

On 21/02/2019 at 23:01, Ontarian1981 said:

Ten Years After were one of the standout acts at the orignal Woodstock Festval.They were fronted by the late Alvin Lee,an outstanding rock guitarist and originally from Nottingham and Mansfield.

Fun fact - Alvin Lee was my older brothers best mates uncle. One of my favourite T shirts as a youth was  one celebrating an album he made with Mylon Le Fevre called 'On the road to freedom'. It already had holes in it by the time I got my hands on it and probably gave up the ghost sometime around the early 80's.

Edited by Halibut

Seen some fantastic bands in my time but remember being totally underwhelmed at Peter Frampton gig .think it was 1976.First time i had heard the voice box used. I think he might have been the support act but can't remember who to.

I think Plant did go to bed after , but not with a Lemsip.  😎

19 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

True. Unfortunately as gifted as Alvin was he always attempted to break the land speed record for playing the fastest licks.

Funny how both the Lees were fast on the frets. Alvin and Albert( no relation) the latter being one of my favourites when I am in a country/rock mood. Ironic that an Englishman should win the best country guitar picker award five times, especially when his competition included the likes of Vince Gill and James Burton among many others.

Only gig I've ever got my money back for was the sweet and mud at the city Hall. Can't remember the year, late 80s/early 90s. Mud didn't even bother turning up, and were replaced by kenny, who played their 1 hit and a load of covers, then the sweet came on, or rather Brian connolly and some session musicians. Connolly was so drunk he couldn't stand up without holding on to the mic stand, and the rest of the band had to keep reminding him which song he was supposed to be singing. 

On 24/02/2019 at 16:59, melv said:

The only band I've walked out on were Van Der Graf Generator. Free form rock/jazz is not my favourite

Was that one of "The Famous Charisma Label" gigs?  Cost 60p for 3 bands - Genesis and Lindisfarne were the other two bands on that bill.

17 hours ago, Longcol said:

Was that one of "The Famous Charisma Label" gigs?  Cost 60p for 3 bands - Genesis and Lindisfarne were the other two bands on that bill.

Maybe he should have stayed. awhile eh? Lindesfarne were a lot of fun live even before they made the charts. One of my favourite live albums was their double one " Magic In The Air" or it might have been "One Magic Night" recorded in Newcastle, I believe. This was one of many LPs I gave my brother when I left England in 1981, he still plays it occasionally.

Edited by Ontarian1981

14 hours ago, Longcol said:

Can't remember the details. I think they were headlining, hence walking out on them. If they'd have been first up I would have retreated to the bar.

On 24/02/2019 at 22:09, Dreb48 said:

I have the same reaction to Tommy Emmanuel. I saw him a couple of years ago and didn't stay for the encore. 

He tends to play 20 notes where 1 will do. I found him technically brilliant but lacked heart and soul in his playing.

Edited by melv
Spelling