Are you an unwitting social media sensation?

Scrolling through twitter I came across something called Sleepy Commuters. It's when your fellow commuters take pictures of people who have fallen asleep in trains, buses, planes and cars. Then post them on twitter with oh-so hilarious results. And the world being what it is, you're now in a book. These are often close ups. You wouldn't have been consulted. I know it's legal to take pictures of whoever whenever blah blah but you're in a pretty vulnerable position asleep on public transport (shaming was a word used - the crime falling asleep.) But is it right?

I might be it myself, I fall asleep in the van all the time. I might be in the soon to be published "Fat bloke runs through supermarket to get cat food he forgot" or (as I've lost weight) "bloke chases paperwork round a windy car park".

Isn't that just like Beedles about and other such TV where people used to send in a video of something funny. I'm pretty sure they didn't always ask permission from the person video'd.

Isn't that just like Beedles about and other such TV where people used to send in a video of something funny. I'm pretty sure they didn't always ask permission from the person video'd.

Quite possibly. Yet on impractical jokers, they get the public to sign a release form. And I suppose on lots of YBF type shows it's fairly hard to always identify those concerned (I'm thinking parachutists etc!)

Weren't Virgin Trains alleged to have broken the Data Protection Act by publishing Jeremy Corbyn's image without his consent?

You can photograph anyone who is in a public space, don't let the police or anyone else tell you otherwise, but you need permission to photograph on private property.

I have no idea how the law stands on publishing photographs of people in public spaces. Does anyone know the answer?

I'm more amazed by the folk who are actually able to fall asleep on public transport! I find it impossible to sleep anywhere other than my bed, i can't even fall asleep on my own settee (well, unless there has been a copious amount of wine involved)

The sight of seeing someone asleep in public is a sight to behold!

As far as I know, unless it's it's a child you don't need any permission at all to take a picture of someone in public and post it online.

Bear in mind not all places you might consider public are actually that, the law is different in private places and the owner of said place has the right to ask you to not take photographs of the place, people, whatever.

If someone takes a pic of you and puts it online, then tough. If they happen to accompany it with other photographs or text that somehow puts a stain on your character then you might have a legal leg to stand on though.

Things like models have release forms to give them control over how their photographs will be used by the photographer and who owns copyright, as part of the commercial deal struck between model and photographer.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 11:41 ----------

Quite possibly. Yet on impractical jokers, they get the public to sign a release form. And I suppose on lots of YBF type shows it's fairly hard to always identify those concerned (I'm thinking parachutists etc!)

Probably a case of 'here is a few hundred dollars, sign this, it'll be used on TV'. The small print will also say 'you have no further rights to the use of your image or to claim further money'.

For home video's they wouldn't have known who to get to sign. The "you've been framed" style ones, they would.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 11:47 ----------

Weren't Virgin Trains alleged to have broken the Data Protection Act by publishing Jeremy Corbyn's image without his consent?

Yes, because they were the operators of a CCTV system in a public place. Which is entirely different to someone carrying a camera (video or still) to which the DPA doesn't apply.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 11:51 ----------

You can photograph anyone who is in a public space, don't let the police or anyone else tell you otherwise, but you need permission to photograph on private property.

I have no idea how the law stands on publishing photographs of people in public spaces. Does anyone know the answer?

Yes, you can publish what you like. There is no right to privacy in public (or really in private). Think about how newspapers publish images, particularly ones taken by the papparazi.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 11:54 ----------

As far as I know, unless it's it's a child you don't need any permission at all to take a picture of someone in public and post it online.

Being a child doesn't alter anything.

Bear in mind not all places you might consider public are actually that, the law is different in private places and the owner of said place has the right to ask you to not take photographs of the place, people, whatever.

It's the location of the photographer that's important, and once taken they still can't stop you publishing the photo, they could of course ask you to leave the location.

I know it's legal, it's the morality of it really. Why stop at Sleepy commuters? You could start "fun funeral faces" and get people with odd faces when their really upset? What about women coming from a battered wives shelter (I can't think of a snappy twitter handle for that). Where's the line? Is there a line?

I know it's legal, it's the morality of it really. Why stop at Sleepy commuters? You could start "fun funeral faces" and get people with odd faces when their really upset? What about women coming from a battered wives shelter (I can't think of a snappy twitter handle for that). Where's the line? Is there a line?

If there is, you can guarantee ITV2 and Channel 5 will cross it.

I bet the first sleepy commuter posted online showing some cleavage will put a stop to it - obviously pending the sexual harrassment case that will arise.

Not that i'm cynical at all about people taking things too seriously.

That would be a fascinating, yet short lived case. Just taking a photo in a public place, no matter the state of dress, is unlikely to be found to be harassing.