WARNING: any Sheffield leasehold property owners?

I was under the impression you as the 'tennant' have to pay the landlord's legal costs, or is that only if you take the easy route and it doesn't go to tribunal?

sorry if i didnt make it clear if, you are asking to buy yes you will pay his fees as well but the tribunal set a fair amount.

only time he will pay his own is if he offers it for sale, but even then he will put it on the price.

Thanks for all the info. I have found it very useful as I am in dispute with the management firm that has taken over the admin of our flats. Costs have risen from £207 last yr to £552 this yr, since they took over at the beginning of the year'

hazel

This forum is fantasic for information!

I so far have had no problems during my 6 years in my present location with Estates & Management. However another lease management company is causing problems for other people in my home town of Leigh and this is going to be shown in a program on the BBC at miday this coming Sunday.

I therefore thought about buying the lease from Estates and Management and wondered if any one else on here had any experience of buying a lease from this particular company?.

If you have? could you please let me know your experience of dealing with this company when buying your lease.

Thanks ahead.

Dave

Interesting thread.

I just got a threatening demand for £277 in inflated management charges for overdue ground rent of £6 a year (for 6 years?) from Property Debt Collection Limited on behalf of the company that owns my freehold (Freehold Estates Limited).

They say they may inform my mortgage lender and take me to County Court if I don't pay. Should I be worried?

Does anyone else have experience of these companies?

Estates and Management never send out reminders for our measly 3 quid a year. You don't have to pay 'em if they don't send a demand. Unfortunately E and M contacted our building soc and they payed up!!!

Estates and Management never send out reminders for our measly 3 quid a year. You don't have to pay 'em if they don't send a demand. Unfortunately E and M contacted our building soc and they payed up!!!

Well they are going to find it hard to contact my mortgage lender, I don't have one.

not true it is your resp-to pay it and not his to collect it. acording to the law anyway but the late charges are bull. unless there is a provision within your lease that you have signed that allows him to make these high charges. the law says reasonable charges, in a court he would be awarded intrest on the £170.00 and the cost of a stamp and letter about £10.00.

hope this helps. if you need to talk to me please pm me and i will let you have my number.

Don't worry, I will keep posting. Cheers :)

Thinking about it, I don't know why I bothered to reply now, kinda sinking to her/his level really. Silly me!!

Oh well, that's what you get for trying to inform people of a problem in Sheffield, on a Sheffield forum. Strange that's what I thought this forum was for!!

I would have thought people would be interested to hear of this ... its sounds like a scam good and proper. Good on you.

not true it is your resp-to pay it and not his to collect it. acording to the law QUOTE]

I understood that a demand has to be sent annually for ground rent and until this is received you don't have to pay it.

not true it is your resp-to pay it and not his to collect it. acording to the law anyway but the late charges are bull. unless there is a provision within your lease that you have signed that allows him to make these high charges. the law says reasonable charges, in a court he would be awarded intrest on the £170.00 and the cost of a stamp and letter about £10.00.

hope this helps. if you need to talk to me please pm me and i will let you have my number.

Thanks for all your advice :thumbsup:

I have taken on the solicitor you recommended (who really seems to know his stuff). He knew the company that issued the threatening letter well and has had dealings with them before. It seems I am legally only liable for six years back ground rent and their "reasonable costs", maybe a few pounds for each of the letters they have sent me.

we moved into our house last october and its leasehold but i havent got a clue who owns the leasehold and the last owner said no-one ever asked him for money and the person he bought it off had never had any money asked of them either so i dont know how much i am meant to be paying or to who! i hope someone doesnt come out of woodwork and claim i owe them loads of money

How did you go on? We now have the same problem.