WARNING: any Sheffield leasehold property owners?

hi know your problem well, have been through it. you shouldnt pay it, its a con that many of the london leaseholders are doing.

if you have been in the house for over 2 years you have the leagal right to purchace the lease. if your rent is £2.00 per year it will not cost you the 200 that they say you owe. if you want to e mail me i will go through it with you and help you sort it.

hi again. There are laws to protect against these landlords. To those who have maild me i am sorry but i do not have 10 entrys yet so it will not allow me to contact you. if you want to mail me your phone number i will give you a ring. breafly what you need to do is. ask all the householder near you if they have had problems. Ask them if they are interested in purchacing the leasehold(we all should for many reasons). get a few of you together the more the better. write to your landlord and ask that he sell you the lease under the 2 year law. he probebly wont reply. then you go to a solicitor and get him to handle it for you. A rule of thumb is 20 - 30 times your ground rent plus costs of £250.00 ish so if your rent is £2.00 per year it would be £60.00 plus the fees. He has to sell to you at a reasonable cost or your solicitor will take him to tribunal and they will set the price. yourlandlord will not want to go to tribunal as he has to pay all his own costs. The good thing if there are 10 of you you will pay 1/10th of the cost each put he will have 10 x cost if you know what i mean. if anyone needs free help please mail me with your phone number and i will contact you. No i am not a leagal chap but i have just purchaced the leasehold for all 28 households on our estate and have done all the corispondance for everyone. WARNING TO ALL BUY YOUR LEASEHOLD NOW AS THE PRICE WILL INCREASE THE LONGER YOU LEAVE IT, AND YES YOUR LANDLORD CAN TAKE YOUR LAND AND HOUSE AT THE END OF THE LEASE. they dont buy them for the £2.00 per year that they get of you.

also be awair that a house with less than 70 years lease is not sailable in that no lender will give a morgage on any house with less than the 70 years.

regards

Phil

What's the position with leasehold flats/maisonettes? Would you advise to buy the leasehold for these properties? What about if you share the building with non-owners?

hi same rule, Get together and purchace your lease,I you need any help please email me.

not sure what's going on here but as far as i am aware, you have the right to buy the freehold - for a fair price - when you have paid the lease hold for 5 years. as i work for a bank, when we get an invoice for non payment of ground rent, we let the account holder know and if they dispute then we give them more time to prove their argument

I'm looking forward to letting you all know how our merry dance ends :mad:

The council auctioned off our lease, and the company who bought it are really trying it on over the purchase price :rant:

looks like we're going to the land tribunal with this one :(

The right to buy is after 2 years not 5

Are you sure? I know the Right to Buy council houses is after 2 years of being a tenant, but this is about owner occupiers of non-council properties buying their leases?

hi all few facts for you.

You have the right to buy after 2 years ownership regardless of who has the lease.

you also have the right to a tribunal. if your solicter is on form it shouldnt come to this, the calculation of a lease value is pritty streight forward. Any landlord would be silly to go to tribunal if the price you are offering is a true valuation.

I have just been through all this for 27 houses on our estate, unfortunatly i have become an expert on leasehold (worst luck).

It often happens that an offer is made to a landlord is regected and then in tribunal he gets less than the offer pluss the costs.

Very ball park but you should be looking at 20 times the ground rent and £300.00 ish in fees.

Get together with others if you can. it halves the costs and gives you buying power. your landlord dont want 20 times the cost of tribunal.

Are you sure? I know the Right to Buy council houses is after 2 years of being a tenant, but this is about owner occupiers of non-council properties buying their leases?

Hi yes i am sure. 2 years is the law. (FACT)

Hi yes i am sure. 2 years is the law. (FACT)

Thanks for that, may try to buy ours next year (not lived here for 2 years yet).

hi all few facts for you.

You have the right to buy after 2 years ownership regardless of who has the lease.

you also have the right to a tribunal. if your solicter is on form it shouldnt come to this, the calculation of a lease value is pritty streight forward. Any landlord would be silly to go to tribunal if the price you are offering is a true valuation.

I have just been through all this for 27 houses on our estate, unfortunatly i have become an expert on leasehold (worst luck).

It often happens that an offer is made to a landlord is regected and then in tribunal he gets less than the offer pluss the costs.

Very ball park but you should be looking at 20 times the ground rent and £300.00 ish in fees.

Get together with others if you can. it halves the costs and gives you buying power. your landlord dont want 20 times the cost of tribunal.

I was under the impression you as the 'tennant' have to pay the landlord's legal costs, or is that only if you take the easy route and it doesn't go to tribunal?