WARNING: any Sheffield leasehold property owners?

Originally posted by Tony

Not wanting to add fat to the fire, BUT... :) ....By all means contribute, but don't take the micky out of someone for no reason at all. :mad:

Do you mean like you and your buddies do to poor old t020 every day? :)

Originally posted by Foxxx

Fine, I'll let go something I didn't start. End of..

What I will say to anyone reading this thread is

The point is, sometimes posts are boring. I've seen some, and thought it doesn't interest me, so I don't post in it. Different posts have different meanings to different people. There might be one person on here who has had the same thing happen to them and I might save them paying the fine.

If everyone posted like mojo did, slagging off the post called it pretentious, middle class, tories robbing tories, petty-bourgeois views etc etc, then people would get too scared to post anything and stop visiting the forum.

Life can be boring sometimes. Bills have to be paid, people get mortgages etc that is life and if I have a question that I think someone can answer I'll post it. I don't actually start threads very often.

PS. Mojo- If you do have a problem with your latest rates bill, I'd recommend sharing it with people on here, because someone may be able to help you.

OK, point taken. But if everyone had taken it in the spirit it was intended then maybe it wouldn't have got out of hand.

That's not to say I wasn't out of order, mind :)

Originally posted by mojoworking

Do you mean like you and your buddies do to poor old t020 every day? :)

You've lost me now. What's it got to do with t020? It was YOU that had a go at Foxxx for no reason at all. t020 is quite capable of stirring up his own threads for himself, but I still fail to see why you had a dig at Foxxx for this helpful thread.

Foxxx, have you got the info you need from this thread? I don't want to help it decend into another slanging match - sorry.:(

Foxxx, have you got the info you need from this thread? I don't want to help it decend into another slanging match - sorry.:(

Well, it didn't quite go the way I hoped. People haven't really had a chance to post on it properly yet!! There were some interesting comments/stories from some people who have had leasehold scenarios happen to them. Just shows that there are things going on with leaseholds.

I would like to know if anyone knows the legal side to how these leasehold companies get away with fining people and printing lies in their letters to scare people. Anyone else had anything similar happen?

Was interested to hear about the info on buying the leasehold. Every now and again, I get a 'special offer' allowing me to buy my leasehold for a very overpriced cost. Limited offer only etc. Looks as though, I might be allowed to buy it at anytime anyway and for a cheaper price.

You've lost me now. What's it got to do with t020? It was YOU that had a go at Foxxx for no reason at all. t020 is quite capable of stirring up his own threads for himself, but I still fail to see why you had a dig at Foxxx for this helpful thread.

er, that was a joke. You said "By all means contribute, but don't take the micky out of someone for no reason at all".

Then I said "Do you mean like you and your buddies do to poor old t020 every day?"

Get it?

It's got nothing to do with t020, I was just commenting on the fact that you give the guy a really hard time, most of the time

It's interesting to see how much people pay for packages of ground leases - often 25 times the income! I guess that the less scrupulous will find 'alternative' ways of getting a return on their investment.

I find all this quite interesting - just having had a very similar letter from a company called "Leasehold Property Management". I moved in a few months back and remember the solicitor saying she'd had hassles getting the ground rent all sorted but it was OK now. Then last week I get a letter saying that I owe them £5 and £5 arrears. Being a customer-focused company they are only contactable 09:30-13:00 so I have had to fax them.

What I've told them is that I am up to date and until they can detail the "arrears" on the "invoice", £5 is all they'll get (I have posted them a £5 cheque). Does that seem the right thing to do or should I dig out all my solicitor's paperwork and/or speak to the solicitor again?

Originally posted by wendy

John when you bought your house why didn't your solicitor insist on proof of payment of groundrent from the previous owners.

The previous owner gave me a cheque of 6 years worth as he wasn't chased up either.

I'll rephrase what I was asking. If the responsible party did come round tomorrow to collect 10 years (+6 years from the previous owner) worth of rent can they do so by law? I mean does it say somewhere that it can only be back dated says upto a max of 5 years?

Also, what will happen if I moved house, can they chase me up in say 25 years time asking for it?

Thanks Tony, Phil and John for getting this thread back on topic!

I'm pretty confused about the whole leasehold thing. Mine is £2 a year to the Duke of Devonshire. Once somebody from up the road came around and collected it, but no-one's collected for some years. Maybe they are just paying it themselves (apparently it's often easier to just pay for the row of houses than to collect off everyone) or maybe I'm in arrears.. Mebbe I should ask the neighbours.

I saw a TV programme a few years ago about leaseholds. It showed that companies can buy the leasehold on your property, wait until you're in arrears then charge admin fees. People who didn't pay the fees were having their properties repossessed. I don't know what the exact details were or what changes in the law may have taken place since, but it was quite scary.

I hope that company hasn't bought my leasehold and is gonna try and charge some outrageous admin fee.

Originally posted by mojoworking

There's nothing to get, really, other than a little sarcasm following a yawn-inducing thread.

I too am a home owner, so you are off the mark with the jealously assumption. Perhaps you'd care to hear all about my latest rates bill in great detail?

Thought not.

:loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

Originally posted by wibbles

If it was so yawn inducing why bother reading it all in the first place then bother to post comment????....:loopy:

Its like watching a TV show and saying how crap it is but continuing to watch :confused:

And once again this thread is thrown off topic.

I have no experience in leases so i suppose i'm just as guilty but i think that this thread proves that having a good solicitor is one of the most important things you can do in this day and age.

Wilf