Mild steel question …

It has to be bang-on Pete. It's a repair section to the bonnet of my car, whereby the compound fluted section gives way to a flat section (my repair part) upon reaching the hinge channel. It's a common problem with all Citroen 2CVs as the hinge channel is spot welded to the angle (on my repair section) and previously factory filled with a mastic which degrades, thus forming a perfect place for water to collect, and then rust out over the years. I'm intending to lead fill when I do my repair.

The rest of the bonnet is perfect (I have a spare one too, which requires the same repair). A brand new bonnet is around £600.00, and you still have the problem with the bonnet/hinge join, so my cunning repair should give a perfect undetectable result.

Ah...I see...So it needs to be as per dimensions, but won't be seen when the bonnet is closed.

Why can't it be galvanised steel?...That would certainly be more corrosion resistant.

Ah...I see...So it needs to be as per dimensions, but won't be seen when the bonnet is closed.

Why can't it be galvanised steel?...That would certainly be more corrosion resistant.

No, a large piece of it is seen, as in this picture. It's the flat bonnet section (the darker, due to shadow) immediately in front of the body shell hinge repair section (bright steel bit). As yo can see, it needs to be shaped to join the compound curves of the rest of the bonnet. My plan is that due to the join to the bonnet being at an angle, there will be much lessd distortion due to welding.

Surprisingly, although you can get repair sections for most of the car. the part I'm making is not available.

Galvanised steel is an option, but a lot will need to be ground off due to welding requirements.

Edited by Alcoblog
Tpyo

Look for laser cutting services. I've noticed these popping up online whereby you can send in a drawing and they can laser cut the component you need. Most of these places will have press brakes as well, so they can bend it to your required angle. You may have to supply the steel.

You could buy a cut to length 62.5 by 62.5m light gauge cold rolled hollow section secure it on v blocks and clamps. Using a jig saw cut it in half diagonally ( both opposite corners) .This will give you 2 equal pieces, one for each of your bonnets, Being cold rolled it will have a sheet metal look and a tiny radius, unlike hot rolled angle irons, and you get a 2 for one deal, to boot( sorry bonnet lol) ;)

Look for laser cutting services. I've noticed these popping up online whereby you can send in a drawing and they can laser cut the component you need. Most of these places will have press brakes as well, so they can bend it to your required angle. You may have to supply the steel.

I know someone who can most probably do laser cutting. If the repair works, I'm pretty certain there'll be a fair amount of interest in it if I so wish, and laser cut would be the best way to produce this item due to accurately cut curves being required. The 2CV has a massive following believe it or not.

By the way (I've not been near a comp most of the day), thanks to the others for your offers and suggestions, but I'm still looking for someone's can fold a 90 degree bend in a strip of mild steel sheet. Although I see the advantages of galvanised, I don't think it would be appropriate for this particular application.

Sorry for any typos, on kindle at the mo and fat fingers are a distinct disadvantage. :)

look for metal formers, fabricators, bending. try Taylor & Watson at penistone

It's many years since I used their services, but Starweld might be worth a quick visit for a natter if you're passing.

I appreciate that their web site implies just large projects, but they were happy enough to do me a small job on a couple of occasions previously.

I'm guessing a personal visit might work better than a formal phone call or email enquiry.