Mild steel question …

Can anyone tell/advise me where I can buy a piece of 18 gauge mild steel (roughly 1200mm x 120) and at the same time have a (tight) 90 degree fold put along it's length?

I tried a metal fabricators off Rutland Road some months ago, supplying them with a template to plasma cut (it's precisely curved along one long edge, but I guess that's too much to ask), but have never heard back from them (in fairness, they did say that they were very busy).

Ta. :)

Alcolblog,

This might be a possibility. Just a query. 18 gauge -that's 1.245mm. A 90 degree fold along its entire length. Would that not make it a piece of "angle -iron" (steel ) ? Is it not possible to get what you want in that category -and then cut it to your desired dimensions ?

FEM Ltd Fabrication Engineering Maintenance Ltd  

Metal Fabricator

Address: Unit 4 Waleswood Colliery Ind Estate, Mansfield Road, Sheffield S26 5PQ

Phone:01909 774836

Hours: Open today · 7am–8pm

Edited by petemcewan

Alcolblog,

This might be a possibility. Just a query. 18 gauge -that's 1.245mm. A 90 degree fold along its entire length. Would that not make it a piece of "angle -iron" (steel ) ? Is it not possible to get what you want in that category -and then cut it to your desired dimensions ?

FEM Ltd Fabrication Engineering Maintenance Ltd  

Metal Fabricator

Address: Unit 4 Waleswood Colliery Ind Estate, Mansfield Road, Sheffield S26 5PQ

Phone:01909 774836

Hours: Open today · 7am–8pm

I'm pretty certain that angle iron is a rolled product as opposed to folded steel which I'm after. Certainly the piece I'm wanting to replicate is just folded mild steel. Ta anyway. :)

---------- Post added 13-10-2016 at 16:11 ----------

As an afterthought, I would settle for slightly thinner 19 gauge, but I'm not sure it's as readily available,

There's a place at salmon pastures on attercliffe road very good and cheap

On the right hand side as you go out of town

There's a place at salmon pastures on attercliffe road very good and cheap

On the right hand side as you go out of town

Any idea of what it's called? I'm not very familiar with places in that part of Sheffield, although Attercliffe Road (ish) has featured on here for two suggestions now.

I've forgotten but you cant miss it big sign on the building at the side of atterclife road

I've forgotten but you cant miss it big sign on the building at the side of atterclife road

I'll try driving down it on Google earth and see what I come up with. Thanks :)

I know I'm gonna regret this: But what's it for Alco?...I mean does it have to look pretty? I would have thought a flat plate would suffice, bent in a vice (as it's only just over 1mm). If the vice jaws are not wide enough, support it in the vice with 2 lengths of steel to bend it over.

Does the 90 degree fold need to have a certain min/max radius? Questions questions eh?

I know I'm gonna regret this: But what's it for Alco?...I mean does it have to look pretty? I would have thought a flat plate would suffice, bent in a vice (as it's only just over 1mm). If the vice jaws are not wide enough, support it in the vice with 2 lengths of steel to bend it over.

Does the 90 degree fold need to have a certain min/max radius? Questions questions eh?

It has to be bang-on Pete. It's a repair section to the bonnet of my car, whereby the compound fluted section gives way to a flat section (my repair part) upon reaching the hinge channel. It's a common problem with all Citroen 2CVs as the hinge channel is spot welded to the angle (on my repair section) and previously factory filled with a mastic which degrades, thus forming a perfect place for water to collect, and then rust out over the years. I'm intending to lead fill when I do my repair.

The rest of the bonnet is perfect (I have a spare one too, which requires the same repair). A brand new bonnet is around £600.00, and you still have the problem with the bonnet/hinge join, so my cunning repair should give a perfect undetectable result.