Boardwalk to reopen as beer hall - Plans now fallen through

This is wonderful news. When is the grand opening?

Maybe before xmas they said. My guess would be after xmas.

They'll really have to make it a nice place to visit or it won't succeed. It was/is fine as a dark shabby rock venue (one of the best in fact) but I wouldn't fancy it as a drinking destination unless it gets some serious refurbishment. They'll have to find some windows and let some light in for a start.

They are getting new windows. Unfortunately instead of boarding the windows the previous occupants coated them with thick paint, so has to be new glass.

I don't think it will be a 'fancy' establishment by any stretch though, and will be better for that

Thank you for proving my point. I bet you used to drink Stella because it was 'ressuringly expensive' didn't you? ;)

Of course not. Stella is expensive because it has to pay for the hype. KBS is over £7 a bottle cos it's quite simply one of the best beers ever made. But of course you wouldn't know because you've never tried it have you? :)

Of course not. Stella is expensive because it has to pay for the hype. KBS is over £7 a bottle cos it's quite simply one of the best beers ever made. But of course you wouldn't know because you've never tried it have you? :)

£6 or £7 that's not proper craft beer, unless I need to remortgage my house or sell my left kidney I'm not interested. Anything less than £20 a bottle is for peasants! In all seriousness.......I sometimes choose to pay an eye watering amount for a beer not because I'm a snob or look down my nose or I'm trying to be cool or trendy but because I love beer. Buying beer, drinking beer, researching beer, talking about beer is my passion. I welcome anywhere that's going to support my hobby and provide me with another outlet for new, exciting and exceptional beers. Those people who don't like beers like this can go to one of the many run of the mill average pubs in Sheffield. I just hope more people who are like minded visit The Boardwalk when it opens and makes it a success so that it doesn't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

£6 or £7 that's not proper craft beer, unless I need to remortgage my house or sell my left kidney I'm not interested. Anything less than £20 a bottle is for peasants! In all seriousness.......I sometimes choose to pay an eye watering amount for a beer not because I'm a snob or look down my nose or I'm trying to be cool or trendy but because I love beer. Buying beer, drinking beer, researching beer, talking about beer is my passion. I welcome anywhere that's going to support my hobby and provide me with another outlet for new, exciting and exceptional beers. Those people who don't like beers like this can go to one of the many run of the mill average pubs in Sheffield. I just hope more people who are like minded visit The Boardwalk when it opens and makes it a success so that it doesn't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Hahahha... I like your style. Admittedly KBS isn't aged on Jean-Paul Satre's toe clippings and decanted down the cleavage of a vestal virgin, but it's still very much craft beer. TBH I've oft been disappointed with many £20 bottles in the past. I think Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, Serpent and the Thornbridge Cellar Sours are all a bit over-rated. So I do get why some people baulk a bit at 'craft'. But to claim it's all cold and fizzy shows a woeful lack of understanding of modern beer.

Really great news someone is putting the time effort and money into getting the Boardwalk back up and running as a music venue again. The combination of live music real ale and food is an excellent idea. I will be down there once it's open and I'm sure it will do well.

They don't taste amazing, you've just been taken in by the marketing and the image. If they did taste amazing, why do they need to be served chilled and fizzy?

"Chilled and fizzy " ugh

Oh no.

Plans gone pear-shaped.

Just seen the post from Chris and Kate. Seems like legal problems with one particular party have scuttled the whole project. Shame.

The statement in full.

"It is with great regret that we are pulling out of the process of taking on the lease of The Boardwalk. It is not a decision we have taken lightly, especially in the face of the overwhelming support and enthusiasm we have received towards the project but it is one, sadly, we feel is unavoidable. It follows a week of intense but ultimately futile negotiations attempting to move forward in light of a continuous stream of issues we have uncovered while undertaking the legal groundwork working towards signing the leasehold. Unfortunately some of these appear to be irreconcilable with the willingness of one of the parties involved to progress. Following our legal advice and with the support of our friends, family and investors we cannot guarantee we have the resources to take on the Boardwalk in its current state, with the underlying risks we have uncovered, and be able to make it the success, experience, and destination The Boardwalk deserves to be. We are very sorry to have let down the many people who were incredibly excited about the prospect of the Boardwalk opening as a pub and live music venue but feel that to continue would only increase the chances of bringing more disappointment down the line, and this is something we desperately want to avoid.

Both of us left jobs we very much enjoyed in two of Sheffield’s best pubs, and have invested in undertaking the mission of resurrecting one of Sheffield’s most iconic venues. We do not regret our attempt at ‘saving’ the Boardwalk, but we feel great disappointment that due to circumstances beyond our control we are unable to do so. We wish anyone who attempts the same in future the very best of luck and would be happy to offer advice based on our experiences. We’d like to sincerely thank everyone who has offered us help, assistance and support along the way. We ourselves will be keeping our eyes out for an alternative location in Sheffield, as we hope to realise our dream of bringing the best beer, spirits, tea and coffee, music, street food and more to a bar in Sheffield.

If anyone has any questions we will be using our boardwalkbeerhall@gmail.com address for enquiries relating to The Boardwalk."

Edited by taxman

Oh wow, does anyone have any ideas what these futile negotiations are about? I've tried reading it a few times and am guessing madly, but just don't have the info! Thanks!

Disappointing news but not totally unexpected by many who knew the problems the previous people had, they should be local heroes keeping the place going for the 12/15 years they were involved, the stress and pressure of just trying to survive while tied to Enterprise Inns for all that time must have been intense.

I bumped into ex Boardwalk promoter Chris Wilson at a gig at The Greystones several weeks ago and he was full of genuine admiration for Chris and Kate but he didn't seem convinced it would survive long term if Enterprise were still involved so perhaps it's best they've bailed out now rather than months down the road when they've lost their shirts. Would he ( CW ) be tempted to get involved in a Boardwalk resurrection I asked? That seemed to hit a nerve and he made his excuses and disappeared to get his artists on stage.

Sad memories perhaps.

I'm really gutted for Chris and Kate, hopefully they can find somewhere else.