Boardwalk to reopen as beer hall - Plans now fallen through

Good news, it's been missed. I hope they succeed and get back to having proper bands on again at some point.

I never liked the names of the two places but I suppose they are still known on the gig circuit.

Think they should take it right back and call it the Black Swan

Chris Bamford did a great job at the Shakespeare, let's hope the toilets at the new Boardwalk don't smell so bad though!

Chris and Kate are both great people and know there stuff so I'm really hoping that this is a success. I'm really excited about it reopening, in my opinion the Shakey has lost a bit of its sparkle since he left.

Chris and Kate are both great people and know there stuff so I'm really hoping that this is a success. I'm really excited about it reopening, in my opinion the Shakey has lost a bit of its sparkle since he left.

"sparkle"? Really?

Both nice people. The new breed of publicans , more emphasis on quality not quantity and with a broader outlook in terms of the drinks industry (CAMRA connections but also know lots about the back bar plus hosting events). Should be fun!

I remember when Herbie Armstrong had the pub, he was van the mans guitarist on many albums and tours, he used to get some great bands.

A friend of mine was in a band at the time when the Boardwalk/Under The Boardwalk opened and he played there a couple of times in the very early days which would have been about 1997 I think.

I seem to remember it was a bloke called Ken ( ? ) who booked the bands, Herbie was the general manager not the booker. I went to see quite a few " names " there but hardly anybody turned up to see them. I couldn't believe it when they announced Wilko Johnson was coming, it was years since he'd been to Sheffield. Me and a load of mates got tickets straight away and it was a great gig, a packed house. I got to speak to Wilko when they were leaving and found out then that it was local promoter, Chris Wilson, who'd actually done the gig, apparently he was a friend of Wilko and Norman Watt Roy.

Some months later I was told Ken ( ? ) had bailed out, supposedly because he'd run out of money, and Chris Wilson had taken over as promoter. I remember it was around this time the Boardwalk and Under The Boardwalk were split into two separate busineses with Herbie just running Under The Boardwalk, he used to have regular open mic nights and would always get up and sing a few songs. It's a shame it didn't work because we had some great nights down there. I'd love to know what happened to Herbie, he just seemed to disappear overnight.

Thankfully, for Sheffield and the music business in general, the Boardwalk went from strength to strength and I saw some top top names there.

Good luck to Chris and Kate, I hope they can bring it back to it's former glory.

Both nice people. The new breed of publicans , more emphasis on quality not quantity and with a broader outlook in terms of the drinks industry (CAMRA connections but also know lots about the back bar plus hosting events). Should be fun!

God...not the middle-aged-but-young-bodied real ale gang... :-( There's too many places that do that kind of thing at the moment, and through talking to half the real-ale snobs I've met I'd give the place a wide-birth if it became the kind of place that THOSE PEOPLE go to...

Not all the people I've met are like that, and I admit I've never actually been to the Shakespeare - but still...those "stuck-up posh-snob" type of real-ale people drive me nuts...the LAST thing we need is another poncy real-ale place full of people who have sample tasters before actually ordering their bloody drink...

God...not the middle-aged-but-young-bodied real ale gang... :-( There's too many places that do that kind of thing at the moment, and through talking to half the real-ale snobs I've met I'd give the place a wide-birth if it became the kind of place that THOSE PEOPLE go to...

Not all the people I've met are like that, and I admit I've never actually been to the Shakespeare - but still...those "stuck-up posh-snob" type of real-ale people drive me nuts...the LAST thing we need is another poncy real-ale place full of people who have sample tasters before actually ordering their bloody drink...

There you go then, never been to the most consistently and brilliant pub in Sheffield. Your opinion is therefore worth less than jack ****

Heaven forbid people should actually want to ensure they get a beer they like... why can't people just drink carling like everyone else. While we're at it, let's shut all these 'snobby' restaurants, who cares what the food tastes like just go to McDogfood.

If you've never been to the Shakespeare your opinion of it is invalid, but if that's your attitude feel free to keep it that way

PS Shakespeare, poncy, righto...