Do You Need The BBC?

This year, the company is spending more than $8bn on content - including 700 original TV shows and 80 movies. This is more than twice as many as ANY other studio or broadcaster – and is almost five times the BBC’s annual spending on television.

You seem to forget that Netflix has a global membership subscription to pay for that.

You seem to forget that Netflix has a global membership subscription to pay for that.

another own goal from "robin Hood"

But if the UK's tiny licence fee funding is providing 20% of Netflix's global subscription output, it shows that the BBC is much better value for money!

But if the UK's tiny licence fee funding is providing 20% of Netflix's global subscription output, it shows that the BBC is much better value for money!

he seems to have vanished, you do know he'll come back again with his other bee in bonnet about women being unfairly targeted by the "corrupt" BBC :hihi:

he seems to have vanished, you do know he'll come back again with his other bee in bonnet about women being unfairly targeted by the "corrupt" BBC :hihi:

Resorting to mockery and trolling shows you haven't got a serious argument. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Resorting to mockery and trolling shows you haven't got a serious argument. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

He doesnt have an arguement and it deserves mockery

He doesnt have an arguement and it deserves mockery

My argument, as you term it, is that the compulsory BBC TV £150.50 license fee, a regressive indirect tax, is an increasingly expensive protection racket in an age when it is perfectly possible to never consume any BBC content. YouTube, Netflix and Amazon mean I never have to listen to or read unconvincing BBC pro-establishment propaganda. Back when there were only 3 or 4 TV channels and we had to watch programmes at a time the BBC schedulers thought best, the licence fee might have made sense. But not in the digital global streaming age.

I also reject the idea of BBC social elites paternalistically determining what content the public want to see on the vague basis of so-called 'quality'. This broad, ill-defined notion of 'quality' is not decided by BBC TV licence fee payers who get no say in the matter, but affluent, middle-class bureaucrats and wealthy elitist BBC managers earning £hundreds of thousands of pounds per year from the licence fee. And they get their BBC TV licence fee paid for them on top of that.

Watching TV shows at the time they are scheduled is sooo 1978. As is being forced to pay a BBC TV licence fee if you want to watch live television broadcasts. And being paternalistically patted on the head by a BBC social elite who define what is 'quality' broadcasting and, by their definition, good for me is very much last century. I don't want to be told my place in society by a bunch of out of touch, overpaid, metropolitan elite BBC parasites.

Voluntary subscription tv (such as Netflix), being able to choose what I want to watch when I want to watch it, and being able to cancel at any time without being threatened with a home visit, prosecution, criminal record and large fine is very much the 21st century.

The BBC needs to join the rest of us in 2018 or die in the past.

My argument, as you term it, is that the compulsory BBC TV £150.50 license fee, a regressive indirect tax, is an increasingly expensive protection racket in an age when it is perfectly possible to never consume any BBC content. YouTube, Netflix and Amazon mean I never have to listen to or read unconvincing BBC pro-establishment propaganda. Back when there were only 3 or 4 TV channels and we had to watch programmes at a time the BBC schedulers thought best, the licence fee might have made sense. But not in the digital global streaming age.

I also reject the idea of BBC social elites paternalistically determining what content the public want to see on the vague basis of so-called 'quality'. This broad, ill-defined notion of 'quality' is not decided by BBC TV licence fee payers who get no say in the matter, but affluent, middle-class bureaucrats and wealthy elitist BBC managers earning £hundreds of thousands of pounds per year from the licence fee. And they get their BBC TV licence fee paid for them on top of that.

Watching TV shows at the time they are scheduled is sooo 1978. As is being forced to pay a BBC TV licence fee if you want to watch live television broadcasts. And being paternalistically patted on the head by a BBC social elite who define what is 'quality' broadcasting and, by their definition, good for me is very much last century. I don't want to be told my place in society by a bunch of out of touch, overpaid, metropolitan elite BBC parasites.

Voluntary subscription tv (such as Netflix), being able to choose what I want to watch when I want to watch it, and being able to cancel at any time without being threatened with a home visit, prosecution, criminal record and large fine is very much the 21st century.

The BBC needs to join the rest of us in 2018 or die in the past.

Repeatedly using the word "watch" reminds me of the generation that sat and watched soap after soap and American drama after American drama with stupefying regularity.

Apparently all these new platforms do is let you watch it later, we used to call that repeats. Thankfully the younger generations have moved away from this spoon fed tripe.

Luckily the democratic process in this country has decided that broadcasting is subject to certain rules and regulations. This includes a public broadcasting element which is required, by law to provide a range of services to wide range of audiences.

Heaven forbid that those days of sitting glued to a TV being fed British soap or American 'drama' hour after hour returns And they have the temerity to make you pay to watch adverts!

No wonder Australian and American media barons have spent millions attacking the BBC.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Watching TV shows at the time they are scheduled is sooo 1978.

Yes, it makes me wonder why all those Freeview, Freesat and Sky channels bother. Same with other TV broadcasters all around the world. That's NOT just a BBC thing.

You seem to forget about live sporting events. With social media its almost impossible not to find out the result if you choose to watch later.

You contradict yourself again though - you slate watching live TV and place the blame on the watcher. Yet also criticise the licence fee which allows this!

You also forget that by binge watching a series on demand, its all gone in a matter of hours rather than pacing yourself.

Edited by alchresearch

Certainly don't need the BBC news I don't belive its independent anymore.

Netflix only owns outright about 10% of all the content on its service. It's losing money far faster than it's making it, and is having to resort to removing content to stem the cost of the licensing. It's "originals" content often isn't made by them, and so far isn't helping financially.

Debt is swelling as it bleeds cash.

Netflix is betting billions on its original shows and movies

http://uk.businessinsider.com/bi-prime-wedbush-pachter-warns-netflixs-content-costs-will-continue-to-rise-2018-4

It now has $6.5 billion in debt, which is nearly double its debt load from a year earlier. And its debt is growing much faster than its revenue. At the end of the first quarter, its debt amounted to more than half of its trailing-twelve months sales, up from about 35% of its trailing-twelve month sales a year earlier.

Not quite the rosey picture painted...

Edited by Magilla