Do You Need The BBC?

Yes, I don't think that Chez2 has gotten a single fact correct about the BBC TV licence fee yet!

This poster seems to be stuck in 1985!

oh dear, its funny to see you arguing with the facts on the TV licence website. You just can't help some people. :roll:

If we are playing games and being silly I will play along. I do have quite a dry, observational sense of humour. Gotten isn't a word used in British English, it's used in north American version of English.

nope not yet, sigh

How do you afford to pay £12 a month for subscription T.V on the dole?

You like your T.V that much huh?..:)

---------- Post added 04-03-2018 at 15:48 ----------

oh dear, its funny to see you arguing with the facts on the TV licence website. You just can't help some people. :roll:

If we are playing games and being silly I will play along. I do have quite a dry, observational sense of humour. Gotten isn't a word used in British English, it's used in north American version of English.

Chill out Chezza...:D

I too hate the shorthand some folks use but i take it with a pinch of salt..You should too..;)

The fact is, if I use any device to watch or record live television I must legally pay the BBC TV licence fee. Or if I use the BBC iPlayer, on any device.

If I don't use the BBC iPlayer, or watch or record live television broadcasts then I don't have to pay the BBC any money.

So I can use my television(s) for purposes other than those described above and be legally licence free. Try it - give up your BBC habit and enrich your life!

The fact is, if I use any device to watch or record live television I must legally pay the BBC TV licence fee. Or if I use the BBC iPlayer, on any device.

If I don't use the BBC iPlayer, or watch or record live television broadcasts then I don't have to pay the BBC any money.

So I can use my television(s) for purposes other than those described above and be legally licence free. Try it - give up your BBC habit and enrich your life!

look above sonny?..^^^

This link I gave was really to help anyone reading this thread. I can see you want to rant rather than help anyone on a budget. It looks like you do need a TV licence if you watch DVDs or Blu-ray, see the link.

You seem to be ignoring the bit that states you only need one if you watch live TV as it is being broadcast with the exception of iPlayer. I watch Blu-ray and stream from Netflix and do not have or need a TV licence, and that is also confirmed on the TV licensing website. I also have a letter from them confirming it.

I have never owned a T.V Licence, i'm 52 years old. ;)

That's very impressive! Well done!

1: i pay £12.12 a month for the license, Amazon and Neflix wont be much cheaper? couple of quid maybe?

The basic Netflix package costs half that at £5.99 although I pay £9.99 but thats because I can also stream 4k content.

2: They dont offer better quality, the notion of quality is down to what you personally prefer, you cant use a personal preference as an arguement against something, some people prefer the BBCs output.

I agree about the quality aspect but for me they have a vast quantity of content that I can stream when I want on my phone, tablet or TV.

The BBC is a bargain no doubt, The quality is good generally and exceptional on certain genres.

My problem is being forced to pay for it, I think it should be like Sky etc.

a choice, and I would still pay for it voluntarily.

The basic Netflix package costs half that at £5.99 although I pay £9.99 but thats because I can also stream 4k content.

I agree about the quality aspect but for me they have a vast quantity of content that I can stream when I want on my phone, tablet or TV.

But the BBC schedulers get paid large amounts of TV licence fee payers money to dictate when BBC viewers can watch BBC content! The BBC has not arrived in the 21st century yet...

I gave up watching the bbc years ago. I was sick of their one sided views and propaganda. I stopped watching main stream media not long after for similar reasons. I was happy to leave it at that but no, the bbc sent their bully boys round to try and frighten me into paying for a license.

Game on!

I waited for the next bully boy (who happened to be a women) to show up so decided to have me a little fun. I stood for ages listening to her script and threats then simply said 'No speakie English' in my best Yorkshire accent. At first she looked puzzled then carried on with the script. I let her drone on for what seemed like ages until she made another threat about fines and a criminal record so I said it again, 'No speakie English luv' with that unmistakable Yorkshire sound.

She told me to ****off before slamming my gate and walking off in a huff.

Not heard a peep since.

The BBC is a bargain no doubt, The quality is good generally and exceptional on certain genres.

My problem is being forced to pay for it, I think it should be like Sky etc.

a choice, and I would still pay for it voluntarily.

you have a choice, dont watch it live you dont need to pay, simple

---------- Post added 04-03-2018 at 17:05 ----------

But the BBC schedulers get paid large amounts of TV licence fee payers money to dictate when BBC viewers can watch BBC content! The BBC has not arrived in the 21st century yet...

you have heard about BBC Iplayer? you can choose when to watch most things...after its been on live obviously

Do you need the BBC? Well since an increasing number of programmes are joint collaborations between the traditional broadcasters, other investors and the streaming services maybe you do need it.

The Last Kingdom, Troy and the new Watership down are co-productions between Netflix and BBC. The individual companies probably would not have been able to make them. The BBCs Drama partners include HBO, AMC, SundanceTV, WGBH, FX, BBC America, Starz, Netflix, BBC First [in Australia], UKTV [in New Zealand], Arte [France]

Then there are the shows which are branded as Netflix original, or Amazon original but are streaming content made has been made by UK broadcasters who often dont get the credit

Channel 4s Catastrophe series 2 is shown as an "Amazon original" in the USA