Ebay issue, uncollected item

I sold an item for less than £20 (cash on collection only) on 21st Sept. to a buyer just outside Sheffield and he arranged to pick up following w/end but didn't turn up. Have sent several messages but no response.

Yesterday I opened an "unpaid item" case in order to secure a fee refund.

Today buyer paid by Paypal hence the case automatically closed.

I sent message saying he can withdraw from deal and I'll give him money back, although at this stage that might be awkward.

No response so far. All comms through ebay.

I think he found that I live further away than he thought.

Any ideas on the next move, anybody?

Keep the money and keep the goods if they don't want to fetch them.

I did the same last year i won an item which turned out to be 350 miles away(village sounded the same as one in Nottingham) however i did pay for the item and the advised the seller to either resell it or bin it,it was a shower screen.

a friend I have, had the reverse....

he set up a new PayPal and eBay account, and sold an item for £20 - collection only..

The buyer paid, collected the item, and Paypal said they were holding the funds for verification (new account) - I helped him verify, and he never got the funds...

we opened a dispute with ebay, and all they suggested was to contact the buyer - we have (several times) with one response of "I have already paid" and no more after explaining again!

Yes, upon collection I would insist on cash and refund his PayPal

I sold an item for less than £20 (cash on collection only) on 21st Sept. to a buyer just outside Sheffield and he arranged to pick up following w/end but didn't turn up. Have sent several messages but no response.

I sent message saying he can withdraw from deal and I'll give him money back, although at this stage that might be awkward.

Keep the money, keep the goods. If the buyer doesn't collect in 45 days he will not be able to claim his money back and not be able to leave feedback.

Eventually he will realise this and he will turn up before them 45 days end.

Keep the money, keep the goods. If the buyer doesn't collect in 45 days he will not be able to claim his money back and not be able to leave feedback.

AFAIK, that works only if carosio specified collection only on the listing (i.e. no postal option ticked at all).

Otherwise the buyer can open his own case for an 'undelivered item'.

Since eBay is still making Paypal compulsory on its listings, I tend to now use shpock for local-only stuff, precisely to avoid the problem mentioned by carosio and Ghozer. Same timewasters, but just about no scammers (unlike Gumtree), and no Paypal-linked hassle.

Edited by L00b

Now the buyer has paid using Paypal you will know their email address. Maybe worth contacting them via email telling them that you are prepared to mutually cancel the transaction, on the understanding neither party leaves any feedback or make any comments about the incident.

Ok, It seems this is the best way.

AFAIK, that works only if carosio specified collection only on the listing (i.e. no postal option ticked at all).

Otherwise the buyer can open his own case for an 'undelivered item'.

Since eBay is still making Paypal compulsory on its listings, I tend to now use shpock for local-only stuff, precisely to avoid the problem mentioned by carosio and Ghozer. Same timewasters, but just about no scammers (unlike Gumtree), and no Paypal-linked hassle.

Clearly stated throughout, cash on collection, no delivery.

Now the buyer has paid using Paypal you will know their email address. Maybe worth contacting them via email telling them that you are prepared to mutually cancel the transaction, on the understanding neither party leaves any feedback or make any comments about the incident.
I'm sure he's had my messages, and his email address is posted on the "item sold" notice.

Clearly stated throughout, cash on collection, no delivery.
I've no doubt carosio.

But I'm talking about the eBay side of the listing (the bits above the description), not the description.

I.e. if a description states "cash on collection, no delivery", but the listing options (above the description) still include posting (even without choice or estimate).

I've seen, and still see, tons of listings that correspond to this situation (seller says cash on collection only in description, but listing has local collection and 'posting - contact the seller' as options).

I've not seen your listing, so it's just heads-up, to you if it applies and in any case to other readers :)

I had this with an item that I sold a few months back, I'd listed as collection only as it was only a £2 item, then someone in London bidded and won, they took a week to pay, I had offered them the option to pullout, but they went and arranged a courier to pick it up.

I now make sure I stipulate no couriers, otherwise I can see me ending up having to wait in or open up late, in this case they were lucky as I'd opened up an hour early and caught the courier as I arrived, just as he was about to post a card saying he'd tried to pick up.

When doing refunds worth noting, if they've paid by PayPal you won't get the fees back that PayPal will have taken for handling the transaction.

I've no doubt carosio.

But I'm talking about the eBay side of the listing (the bits above the description), not the description.

I.e. if a description states "cash on collection, no delivery", but the listing options (above the description) still include posting (even without choice or estimate).

I've seen, and still see, tons of listings that correspond to this situation (seller says cash on collection only in description, but listing has local collection and 'posting - contact the seller' as options).

The wording given to the right of the photos says "postage -collection in

person only", but I appreciate what you mean, the devil is in the detail.

I had this with an item that I sold a few months back, I'd listed as collection only as it was only a £2 item, then someone in London bidded and won, they took a week to pay, I had offered them the option to pullout, but they went and arranged a courier to pick it up.

I now make sure I stipulate no couriers, otherwise I can see me ending up having to wait in or open up late, in this case they were lucky as I'd opened up an hour early and caught the courier as I arrived, just as he was about to post a card saying he'd tried to pick up.

When doing refunds worth noting, if they've paid by PayPal you won't get the fees back that PayPal will have taken for handling the transaction.

Yes, I'm now aware of that - that's why they now take their fee as soon the seller receives payment. Previously you could reverse the payment without loss. It's getting tiresome when you have emphasized "cash only", perhaps buyers are worried about losing "protection"?

It's getting tiresome when you have emphasized "cash only", perhaps buyers are worried about losing "protection"?
Believe me, it gets even more tiresome on the 3rd buyer buying the same item 'by mistake', when they live 100s of miles away and clearly cop on too late that it's collection only ;)

Most eBay users these days treat it like Amazon, expecting full Distance Selling Regs to extend to private sales (for which caveat emptor applies instead).

Selling-wise, I had been using it since 1999 (and before that when it was just '.com'), but I've since given up on it for anything but the most mundane (anything which cannot possibly be misdescribed, break down in transit, be 'swapped for a broken one' at receipt, and which is low value to post recorded delivery; typically, printed stuff or DVDs/games).