Where can I find Sloe berries?

Has anyone spotted any good places to pick sloes this year? Preferably on the Peak District side of Sheffield, but anywhere really.

I've got a bottle of gin that I don't much fancy drinking except in the form of Sloe Gin which is so easy to make.

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 15:48 ----------

Nowhere then?

Has anyone spotted any good places to pick sloes this year? Preferably on the Peak District side of Sheffield, but anywhere really.

I've got a bottle of gin that I don't much fancy drinking except in the form of Sloe Gin which is so easy to make.

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 15:48 ----------

Nowhere then?

You could try some abandoned allotments round the Hagg Hill area.A lot of people seem to glean berries ,mostly operating in pairs.Perhaps you may find a sloe bush or a damson tree if you keep your mincers peeled.

Seeing as it's you, i found a source of damsons today very close to my home, if they'd be any use to you ?

They aren't quite ready yet though, and there wouldn't be a massive amount.

Twin oaks hotel chesterfield, The hedge in front of the hotel at the top of the car park had some last time i was there. It was a few years ago though!

If possible I avoid picking from near main roads.

I quite fancy making a bottle of sloe vodka again now ... Think I'll have to go for a wander this weekend.

RVCP had loads of them last year. You'll find the trees near the iron bridge which crosses the Rother.

I'm not sure if it's a little too early yet or not, but does anyone know of any sloe berries growing in or around Sheffield that can be picked? Or have you seen any locally in previous years?

I'm thinking of trying to make sloe gin again for Christmas :)

A bit early to pick them yet. Rother Valley country park has a load of blackthorn trees near the bridge where it crosses over the river Rother.

Theres a walk from the St Ledger Arms in laughton en le Morthen, there are loads of Sloes along this walk, towards Roche Abbey, The path is shown on Google maps, sets off at the back of the pub.

I've collected a bagful today in Norfolk though.

When we get back to Sheffield they'll be frozen and then made into sloe gin and vodka later next week.

We've seen loads this week but most have been protected by a fine carpet of nettles.

Tis a tad early in the year, rule of thumb is generally wait until the first frost arrives. They are plentiful around Ulley Res too.

I started a thread about this last year, look it up as there were lots of good recommendations there.