Raven pub off West Street?

A popular student pub in the late 60s and early 70s. Always full on a Thursday night for free black pudding plus cheese and onion sandwiches.

Lol and Madge ran the pub with help from Maurice.

I don't remember it being a "rough" pub at all at the time I used to go

I was a regular at the Raven when Lol was the land lord , There was a boxing ring up stairs where a few rows where sorted out between the Town lads .

Lols daughter was a very attractive lass whom I tried to date on many occasions but i always got the K.B.

Could have been Jennifer went to the same school as her she was gorgeous

Back in the mid 50's there was a gym (weight training) at the back, upstairs. You got changed into your kit downstairs then climbed a ladder into the gym proper. It was managed by a guy called Charlie, he worked on the GPO. The weights were all over the place, no racks or anything like that, not like today. Some fairly famous people would go there from time to time. When I say famous I mean in the strength area of sport and athletics. It was like an up-market Sheffield All-Rounders venue, meaning you could train on all the floor area without fear of going through it. Happy days they were.

Back in the mid 50's there was a gym (weight training) at the back, upstairs. You got changed into your kit downstairs then climbed a ladder into the gym proper. It was managed by a guy called Charlie, he worked on the GPO. The weights were all over the place, no racks or anything like that, not like today. Some fairly famous people would go there from time to time. When I say famous I mean in the strength area of sport and athletics. It was like an up-market Sheffield All-Rounders venue, meaning you could train on all the floor area without fear of going through it. Happy days they were.

hiya, if you knew its history you were right about the gym at the back,i only went there once when jackie hudson was in training there, when anybody around our distrct would call it harvey floods then you would know it was the raven pub, harvey was a boxing promoter years ago, lols daughter was called maureen and if by chance maureen you see this can you tell me where i can find the photo of springfield school football team 1950ish as i was telling one who was on it, michael farmer, thanks

Edited by willybite

Demolishing this building was a good example of continues today, flatten everything with any character and replace with ****.

Demolishing this building was a good example of continues today, flatten everything with any character and replace with ****.

Cladding We Are being cladded ,every where you look bleeeeedin cladding, what happened to Architecture .

jhgjhjghjgh

Edited by EdmundH

In later years the ' Raven' became ' O' Hagan's so I'm guessing it fell victim to Irish theme mania that happened in the 1990s . Another interesting thing about this pub it had a bakery so it was possible to buy a pint and a loaf of bread .

That was a tricky time for pub-goers wasn't it? Every other place was turned into a flippin' Folly and Firkin.

I used to love this place when it was The Hornblower. It was a haven of (relative) sanity in the middle of West Street mayhem. And it had a great jukebox.

I remember Charlie Moseley from the Wybourn I think and Jacky Hudson who used to be a boxer. I'm not sure but I think Lol and Madge had two daughters. I know Lol had a wooden leg as the story goes they called him Lol because he used to lol on the bar.

Sounds like it was an interesting pub Iv been told that during it's ' Hornblower' days the inside was decked out as a sailing ship a sort of nautical theme bar ?

Sounds like it was an interesting pub Iv been told that during it's ' Hornblower' days the inside was decked out as a sailing ship a sort of nautical theme bar ?

Yes it was, at least when I used to visit in late 80's early 90's.

I seem to remember a Peugeot dealership next door?

Yes it was, at least when I used to visit in late 80's early 90's.

I seem to remember a Peugeot dealership next door?

hiya,when i started going in around 1960, there was a darts room to the right a best room to the left and a long concert room at the back, one night i met someone and took her home,that was the raven pub i remember,we married the following march 1961 we had just short of 54 years together, a son and a daughter, seven grandchildren and a g/granddaughter. Jean my wife she passed away last year not seeing another g/g daughter born this year, so i have fond memories of the raven Neville Watts hardwear at the top side, freeman oakes at the bottom side their garage entance was in cavendish street below. as a jewish bespoke tailor, and a cobbler,a school friend freddie wright lived in one of a row of houses, lower down was the back end of surmanco.Erver house it was called, lower still was Nesthills factory.on the other side of broomhall st was winters bakery their meat and tatty pies were to die for in 1954 they were 4p in 1960 6p, going back to the raven one daughter was called maureen have seen her school class photograph on computer, along with class mates,maureen broadhurst,brian brooke,dick stirling, ron weatherall,i knew most of them from school days.

Edited by willybite