Raven pub off West Street?

My mum knew the landlord in the mid 60s can’t Remember his name. I remember  going to the Raven on the way home from the Children’s Hospital on a few occasions.

5 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

My mum knew the landlord in the mid 60s can’t Remember his name. I remember  going to the Raven on the way home from the Children’s Hospital on a few occasions.

Lol and Madge  were there in the early 60s.

On 08/10/2016 at 19:19, samssong said:

I was a regular at the Raven when Lol was the land lord , There was a boxing ring up stairs where a few rows where sorted out between the Town lads .

Lols daughter was a very attractive lass whom I tried to date on many occasions but i always got the K.B.

I used to box at the Raven my dad was a mate of Lols and I used to take his daughter out but I cannot remember her name.

12 hours ago, Michael Smith ( said:

I used to box at the Raven my dad was a mate of Lols and I used to take his daughter out but I cannot remember her name.

Janet was she.

The Raven... Yes... Those were great days... I spent many an evening there... No Internet, no smart phones, people used to sit together, talk to each other, sink a beer together.

On 23/01/2020 at 17:39, drolnhoj said:

Interesting thread. Just finished reading, Up at the Sky Edge - 2017, a "fictional" tale by Mark J Foster featuring some of the main characters from the Sheffield Gang Wars. He refers to The Raven as a place that Sam Garvin and his colleagues drank prior to carrying out a violent attack on Spud Murphy. 

I have read this book 'Up at the Sky Edge 1917' and of 'The Raven' connection, and the pub was also mentioned in 'The Sheffield Gang Wars' as the place where both Sam Garvin and George Mooney actually came face to face many years after their earlier confrontations. I believe both men were ushered out of The Raven before old scores could be settled. 

The Raven

The Raven Public house was on the left side, looking towards West street, of Fitzwilliam street just before ( say a hundred yards, slightly less in metres) it joined West street. In the late 60's a haunt of beatnicks and Hippies.

Just stumbled on this nostalgic thread.  Well remember Lol and Madge.  Endless supply of cheese and onion sandwiches and black pudding on Thursdays, something to do with rag committee meetings iirc.  Good juke box, and rumoured to be an override switch behind the bar because it always played Mario Lanza's Drinking Song at drinking up time.

I was an electronic engineering student.  Might have imagined myself as a hippie but rather a failure at that.

Sheffield pub crawl's had to be the best.

Couple on London Rd (probably Sheldon and Landsdowne ) over to the Wellington on Fitzwilliam St.

was never a big Tetley's fan but Whisky was always my prefered choice anyway.  Up t' Raven / Hornblower.

Beehive, Coach & horses, Red Lion, Albert, Barleycorn, Pump (more whisky) back to London Rd Hermitage, Cremorne,

sneck the kitchen window lock if my mother had locked up. Slide the sash window up, climb in trying to avoid having the twin tub over (again) in the process - cook a bacon sandwich end of a good night out in Sheff.

Happy Daze.

other variations and pubs were available - Hic !

It was rough in the late 80's early 90's when it was the Hornblower because it was well known it was a BBC pub like the Saddle.

57 minutes ago, Extreme Rambler said:

It was rough in the late 80's early 90's when it was the Hornblower because it was well known it was a BBC pub like the Saddle.

Strange times the 80's if the fighting wasn't up on West Street the fighting was on London road and it wasn't unusual to find those who drank on London Rd drinking on West street when the trouble was kicking off on London Rd.

Happy Daze in't Hermitage suppin proper beer.