Raven pub off West Street?

I was a regular at The Raven from 1969 til about 1975. The landlord was "Lol" or "Floody". It had a very mixed clientele in the earlier part of that period which changed and became more student centred as time went on. I remember the members of McCloskey's Apocalypse often being there and on the night when "Monty Python's Flying Circus" was on everyone crammed into the telly room (to the left as you went in the front door).

Their roast beef sandwiches were the choice of some gourmets, being made with beef dripping on a crusty cob. Personally, I avoided them after trying one. It would have made a reasonable substitute for a cricket ball.

I first went in when I was in the last year of secondary school and saw my French teacher in there with a "lady of the night". We never acknowledged the event but things were never the same between us afterwards. I liked to go in during the daytime when it was quiet and the back room was flooded with light due to the glass skylights.

I was a regular at The Raven from 1969 til about 1975. The landlord was "Lol" or "Floody". It had a very mixed clientele in the earlier part of that period which changed and became more student centred as time went on. I remember the members of McCloskey's Apocalypse often being there and on the night when "Monty Python's Flying Circus" was on everyone crammed into the telly room (to the left as you went in the front door).

Their roast beef sandwiches were the choice of some gourmets, being made with beef dripping on a crusty cob. Personally, I avoided them after trying one. It would have made a reasonable substitute for a cricket ball.

I first went in when I was in the last year of secondary school and saw my French teacher in there with a "lady of the night". We never acknowledged the event but things were never the same between us afterwards. I liked to go in during the daytime when it was quiet and the back room was flooded with light due to the glass skylights.

Nothing like a bit of role reversal. :)

Nothing like a bit of role reversal. :)

It was a funny old world then.

It was a funny old world then.

when i was young i lived on bath st, a lot of the local pubs were known by a shorter name,like wesh,dog,elliots,little bath,harvey floods,

Used to go in there a lot. It was a hangout for university students (and others) during the 60s. Well populated on a Friday or Saturday night. I think it might have been a Wards pub but not certain about that.

It was a Tennant's, later Whitbread pub.

hgfjgjjghgg

Edited by EdmundH
spelling mistake

Smashing post person 6 our paths must have crossed along with EdmundH LOL.

Edited by samssong

I think McCloskeys Apocolypse had a member who left King Teds about 1961 and may have gone to Newcastle Uni. His name was possibly Mick Wilson.

hgfjghjhgjhhh

Edited by EdmundH

I think McCloskeys Apocolypse had a member who left King Teds about 1961 and may have gone to Newcastle Uni. His name was possibly Mick Wilson.

Yes, my OH sang with Mick Wilson's Scratch Band and we were surprised to hear him on Radio 4 many years later talking about a song he wrote inspired by a dripping tap.

Interesting thread. Just finished reading, Up at the Sky Edge - 2017, a "fictional" tale by Mark J Foster featuring some of the main characters from the Sheffield Gang Wars. He refers to The Raven as a place that Sam Garvin and his colleagues drank prior to carrying out a violent attack on Spud Murphy. 

On 10/04/2017 at 09:12, Person6 said:

oddly enough I too went in one evening, I was 14 years old

circa 1969 and I was pulled the next day by one of my teachers

who was in at the time.