Raven pub off West Street?

Early 60's. Lawrence and Madge - daughter Janet who went out with the lead guitarist in our group. She married the lead singer with another group - can't remember his name but he worked at EDP, Solly St., 1969. Ian ?? The Raven served a good pint of Tennants if I remember correctly.

The final picture before demolition on the Libraries service Picture Sheffield:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v03032&pos=136&action=zoom&id=44290

There are other earlier pictures on the site.

The Peugot dealer was Gregory and Dench where I bought my first car in Sheffield.

That was a tricky time for pub-goers wasn't it? Every other place was turned into a flippin' Folly and Firkin.

I used to love this place when it was The Hornblower. It was a haven of (relative) sanity in the middle of West Street mayhem. And it had a great jukebox.

Yes thats something that you rarely see in pubs now a good,or even any jukebox.

Just bland background music or nothing.

When I was in hospital in 2009 in my chats to the bloke in the opposite bed it turned out he was landlord of the Raven sometime in the 70's. I can't remember his name but he used to work for Bertram Mills Circus in his younger days, one of his job was to lay down flat in the clowns car and drive it in and out of the ring. Told me of the time in Chesterfield when the dwarves took a baby elephant into a pub that they had previously been barred from. Used to go in the Raven myself 72 to 74ish, found it a great atmosphere.

All these memories of the Raven inspired me to look through my T' shirts. I had one with the name 'Raven', red on a black, done about 20 years ago. The only one in existence. Does the name Harry Henries ring any bells? He trained there for a while.

Sounds like it was an interesting pub Iv been told that during it's ' Hornblower' days the inside was decked out as a sailing ship a sort of nautical theme bar ?

it was, and tables made of beer casks. we used to have a game where we stood innocently drinking but swaying as if on a ship. within 10 minutes everybody stood ( no seats ) around would be swaying too , wityhout realising they were doing it...... good times

hiya,when i started going in around 1960, there was a darts room to the right a best room to the left and a long concert room at the back, one night i met someone and took her home,that was the raven pub i remember,we married the following march 1961 we had just short of 54 years together, a son and a daughter, seven grandchildren and a g/granddaughter. Jean my wife she passed away last year not seeing another g/g daughter born this year, so i have fond memories of the raven Neville Watts hardwear at the top side, freeman oakes at the bottom side their garage entance was in cavendish street below. as a jewish bespoke tailor, and a cobbler,a school friend freddie wright lived in one of a row of houses, lower down was the back end of surmanco.Erver house it was called, lower still was Nesthills factory.

tory

Iworked at the nestill factory ernest hills from 1971 untill it was demolished we used to go in the raven for a pint and sandwich every friday dinnertime also every christmas when we finished for the hollidays had some good times in there

Yes the Raven was just of west street on fitzwilliam street used to pop in there for a quick pint when on a pub crawl along west street I think it was wards or whitbread but un sure never the less a good pint pity it had to close along with many Sheffield pubs I blame the beewery's for putting up rents and price of beer, I used to be landlord of the wood seats and I used to buy my own beer and lager from Harold at a fraction of the price breweries churched the breweries didn't know I did this burt the punters loved the cheaper beer Steve x

As a student in the '60s I often went in the Raven. Spent many happy hours there. Remember well the bloke who used to come around with the pickled cockles and whelks.

Does anybody remember a pub called the Raven i think it was on west st or that area it was a bit of a dive used to go there for christmas drinks with E.M.G.B is it still there

The Raven was at the top of Fitzwilliam St, it had a couple of name changes prior to it getting demolished or the building remodelled.

Guest makapaka
Does anybody remember a pub called the Raven i think it was on west st or that area it was a bit of a dive used to go there for christmas drinks with E.M.G.B is it still there

It ended up as "the hornblower" but was knocked down around 2000 for the west one complex to be built.